June 2015 Moms

***trigger*** car seat safety

Hi ladies, I was just sent this link about an accident over your way and the little boy that was injured. I guess it was a timely reminder for myself to go make sure our LO's car seat is still alright and she's in the correct positioning. A friend was urging me to go forward facing from 6 months (our laws say minimum 6mo) and I was apprehensive I guess this is why. Keep our bubbas safe from preventable harm x

https://www.kidspot.com.au/baby/real-life/in-the-news/devastated-mums-confronting-warning-about-carseat-safety

Re: ***trigger*** car seat safety

• An important reminder when some of us are beginning to consider switching to the convertible seats. Thanks for sharing, you've reinforced my desire to stay in our current seat thru the winter, at least.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yup, definitely keeping lo in her infant seat until around her birthday, unless of course she is huge and won't fit, then rear facing still until at least 2. They can stay rear facing longer as long as they are below the height/weight restriction so we will see in 2 years. When dd was 1 I switched her to forward facing but that was the recommendations then..
  • Our seat is convertible but 0-4 rather than 6-8. I think at this stage to put them rearward facing is for our own enjoyment rather than babies. Until LO is asking to be switched then I'm not sure I'll really consider it
  • Yikes, hopefully your friend doesn't have young children anymore, that's very outdated, and dangerous advice. Two is considered the bare minimum for rear facing, and closer to four is ideal. There are some really stiking videos that show the difference between front and rear facing crash tests.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Her youngest is 13 now, but in Australia (I'm not sure about US, UK) it's very misleading. We sell baby capsules from 0-6 months and then forward facing only car seats from 6mo-8 years old so people think they are meant to be turned around. Even the people selling the car seats don't tell you this stuff it's crazy. More awareness here is definitely needed. A girl in my mothers group has changed hers around but the little boy can barely sit on his own bottom but still refuses to go rearward after the article. Stupid really.
  • I read this article and then promptly freaked out and checked the convertible seat that the in laws got us for Christmas - it is good for rear facing until 40lbs.  Then i freaked out because LO is two weeks shy of 6 months but we weighed her this morning and she's at 19.5lbs.  I was afraid she'd hit 40lbs before she turned two.  but apparently that's like an insane amount for a 2 year old girl to weigh, based on the WHO growth charts.  And DH and i are small, so i'm thinking her growth is going to slow down a LOT before then.  I'm definitely keeping her rear facing until she's either 40lbs, or 2+ years old and complaining about being squished.  Our seat has three recline options, so we can always do the biggest recline to get her more legroom as she gets taller.
  • I think it's a very small possibility that your lo will be 40 lbs at 2. My dd will be 6 in feb and has been about 40 lbs for a while now :smile:
  • Reviving this thread because I just saw this article on a local fb group. It does mention that the current guideline is rear facing to 2 years, but it talks with a neurosurgeon who talks about why its best to wait until four years, if you safely can within the range of your seat.

Not saying to consider this gospel, especially as I've never seen this site before... But considering the points given from a medical standpoint and accounting for physics (velocity, action, reaction - that kind of stuff), it makes a compelling argument

https://www.babyrabies.com/2016/01/this-brain-surgeon-mom-will-never-break-this-rule-contributor/
  • Rear facing at 4 years?? They would need to invent new cars with extra wide seats!
  • jessieR358jessieR358 member
    edited January 2016
    I haven't read the article yet, but Apparently they keep them rear facing until 4 in Sweden. The new recommendation too is to switch to a convertible car seat before 1 year.

Eta: read the article. Makes complete sense to keep them rear facing until 4. I'll be keeping mine rear facing until physically impossible.
  • I'm so glad this post came up. So I'll be going back to work in FEB, therefore DH will be picking LO from day care. So far, the car seat has been in my vehicle because I go everywhere with him. Anyway, we have an extra car seat, which is convertible. DH drives a TOYOTA TACOMA with the extended cab, 4 doors.

Any mommas out there have LO ride in trucks?

I'll be going through the truck's owners manual to read on infan car seat.
    Pregnancy Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• @ElRuby yeah, I'm already hampered a bit by the fact that my car's rear seats are fairly shallow, so I'm probably going to have an issue finding a convertible that fits. However, at least my rear seats recline completely flat, so as my kid ages I don't have to worry about them not having room for their feet.

@beemaya83 we don't have a truck but we have a Honda Element, the rear seats are similar to truck rear seats in size because they are designed to be able to be completely removed. I don't think you'll have an issue, but if I were you I would go thru the install process with a car seat technician for your DH's vehicle. Its super informative, they walk you thru the whole process and then have you remove and install the seat yourself, in front of them. You leave confident its done right, and now that you've done it hands on yourself, you're confident you can do it right again. I plan on going thru everything with the car seat tech when we upgrade to the convertible seat, just like I did with his removable seat.

Its a free service, usually offered by someone at your local firehouse. You can use this link to find someone in your area

https://cert.safekids.org/find-tech-0

It doesn't cost anything but your time, and I can't recommend it enough. I learned SO much from the guy about the carseat safety, and general safety inside your vehicle for children, as well.
  • @beemaya83 my sister has a 4 door tacoma and she had my niece in there from infant carrier to her britax convertible seat. You should be fine
  • Thanks ladies! @mellymar @KarasTwin
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We have an F150, so not exactly the same, but car seat fits just fine.
  • We have a GMC Sierra and the car seat fits fine!
  • @mellymar I know this is a long way off, but if your back seat is folded flat, what is stopping the whole seat from moving back? I'm just trying to think this through.
  • Sammy K said:

@mellymar I know this is a long way off, but if your back seat is folded flat, what is stopping the whole seat from moving back? I'm just trying to think this through.

I was thinking this. Other than the fact I lose half of my 'trunk' space by doing this (which I can kind of regain by removing the other seat altogether, if I want to put the stroller in), I don't see why I can't do this other than the latch anchors are still in the same location - whether the back is flat or upright. So no matter what its only going to attach at that location, meaning it would still hang over if the seat is too big, right?

I'm actually going to ask the fire chief (our car seat certified guy) before I purchase. Cause I'd like to get a Graco 4ever, but I need to see if it will fit. It looks huge, and it might overhang, which I don't think is going to work
  • jessieR358jessieR358 member
    edited January 2016
    So I would want to keep the seat there for safety in an accident. Say you were rear ended going fast...i would want that seat there for an extra layer of protection. IMO It doesn't seem safe to remove the seat and not have anything there. I was thinking of this yesterday when my DH suggested a station wagon for a 3rd row. Those seats face out and I wouldn't put a child there.

Eta: @mellymar have you looked at the Clek brand convertible seats? They seem like they would fit in shallow/small cars. I think the diono brand has some like that too. I'm looking at those and the britax advocate. I'm leaning away from the Clek bc of the height and the fact the seat weighs 25 pounds, but it's supposed to be super safe.
  • swiebe said:
    Holy shit. Thanks for posting. I shared this to my fb in hopes my sister will see and have her seats checked. I've talked to her about it before but she still hasnt had her kids seats checked. Hopefully she'll see the photos and make time to go
  • beemaya83beemaya83 member
    edited January 2016
    @swiebe I'm so happy for this family. I got teary eyed.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Great links thanks for sharing. In the last 2 weeks we have been in 2 major accidents. One they rear ended  my car going 62km and the other one was t boned at an average speed. Baby was in the car both times, I'm so glad I'd been exposed to the research and she was RWF. She would probably have been okay maybe but I'm so
    glad I knew she was alright. I'd forever blame myself if I followed my mates and something did happen. 

• @mishmardhiono glad you and LO are okay!
  • @mishmardhiono wow! That is so awful. So glad to hear you guys are okay. 
  • @mishmardhiono oh how scary!!! Has LO expressed any signs of nervousness when in the car seat/car? 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks guys we are all good! No not at all, she's generally pretty chilled anyway and she wasn't injured so it hasn't effected her. I'm sure for some kids it could though. 
  • @mishmardhiono so glad you're ok! Don't forget you need to replace the car seat after these wrecks.