November 2015 Moms

Nursing in Public

Curious about everyone's experiences with nursing in public. Maybe some of you experienced mamas have some thoughts/tips to share.

Slowly gaining confidence with it. Jackson is 5 weeks and we've nursed at two restaurants and at a Starbucks. Kind of annoying using the cover. Figuring it will become easier with experience. Either that or I'll just get sick of using it and whip out the boob. ;)

Thought maybe this could use its own thread (separate from the BF one)

Also... Anyone have any thoughts on what happened on Wendy Williams show with Alyssa Milano?

Re: Nursing in Public

• With DS1 and DD I always covered when nursing and with LO I initially covered when nursing in public. I have found that he doesn't really appreciate being under the cover and I don't really blame him. So recently I have started trying to nurse in public without a cover. He definitely seems to prefer it and I am mostly covered using nursing tops and tanks so WTH. I will keep doing it in a discreet way and hopefully no one will give me any beef about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've breastfed mostly in places where I'm with other moms so they're understanding. I have to use a nipple shield so it makes getting things situated rather tough. I usually use a receiving blanket to cover up my huge boobs since Zeke hates the cover.

If I'm in public I usually try to nurse in the car since I'm not comfortable with nursing. If I remember to bring a bottle I do that but I suck with pumping and bottles.
  • rachswi said:

I've breastfed mostly in places where I'm with other moms so they're understanding. I have to use a nipple shield so it makes getting things situated rather tough. I usually use a receiving blanket to cover up my huge boobs since Zeke hates the cover.

If I'm in public I usually try to nurse in the car since I'm not comfortable with nursing. If I remember to bring a bottle I do that but I suck with pumping and bottles.

I also have to use a shield so nursing anywhere that I have to cover up is difficult. I usually nurse in the car as well. I'm kind of glad to have my first baby in the winter. We won't be doing much out in public until she's 4-6months so we should have it down by then.
  • We use the cover in public and at first it wasn't an issue but lately LO has been fussy under it and not nursing well...I would like to try it without the cover but getting him latched isn't the easiest and I basically man handle my boobs to get him on there so I'm nervous that I'll be showing more than I want to! Any tips/tricks/advice on how to get him latched discreetly without the cover?
  • Ugh I have to use a nipple shield and between trying to keep that on without LO knocking it off with his fists and trying to keep a cover on, it makes me panic. We both get really sweaty and frustrated. I feel like using a cover for us ends up drawing more attention than if I would just discreetly do it without one but I'm too chicken. Ha
  • bellie1223bellie1223 member
    edited January 2016
    I haven't had much of an issue and have fed baby in several places including Costco, doctors office, restaurants and at home with friends around. I found a good combo to be nursing bra, stretchy tank and a loose flowy top; I'm lucky that baby has become pretty good at latching and I have small boobs. I pull the bra and tank down, shirt up and latch, then let the shirt kind of cover her head and my boob, you can't see anything and it just looks like I'm holding her. I still get pretty anxious if I have to feed her in public, but no one had ever made negative comments to me, and I figure if I have to feed her, that's that--I'd love for someone to say something so I can go off on them, but that's just me ;)
  • I usually use a cover which gets really annoying even though luckily lo is a good eater. I wish I felt more comfortable without a cover. I'm ashamed to say I've even left a restaurant to feed in the car. :(
  • Fun (completely irrelevant) Fact: I was named after Alyssa Milano because my dad was completely in love with her when I was born & my mom loved her as well lol
  • @rachswi wow, I need one of those! I have only fed LO once, in the car. I'm dreading feeding him elsewhere in public because the kind of shirts I wear are the kind that need to be pulled up, not down, so pretty much my entire midsection is exposed. A nursing cover is great for the front, but I practically need an entire tent around me.
  • That hoodie looks awesome!
  • It won't let me continue my post but basically I didn't lick my lips
  • I wear a nursing tank, open sweater and a scarf- that combo covers everything pretty much.
  • I'm a FTM and I nurse in public. At first I was very self conscious and now I could care less lol. It helps that SO is really supportive of my breastfeeding and usually when I'm out I'm out with him so I don't feel alone in the act. But if I was alone id do it too. My LO hates the cover and my philosophy is if there are documentaries about "free the nipple" and hamburger commercials with women basically selling their breasts, I can nurse in public and I dare someone to say something to me about it.
  • I will take a bottle of breastmilk if we plan to be gone long enough, just because it's easier. But I have nursed Z in public a handful of times. I either cover with a blanket or my jacket. Z thankfully is pretty easy to get latched on and so BFing in public is usually easy and quick.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I nurse in public almost every time we go out. I love my nursing scarf - it mostly covers us both and it's incredibly light weight as far as fabric goes. Depending on where we are I may just feed him in the car. The only comment/strangest comment I've gotten was I was feeding him outside of a pub and some older guy said "God bless you". I don't know if it was a compliment, or if because it was a Sunday, or if he was calling me a heathen for breastfeeding and drinking a beermosa. Either way, I got a giggle out of it.

As far as Wendy goes, what a fantastic example of internalized sexism. I'm curious where she stands on school dress codes...

• Finally nursed in public on Saturday. My fiancé and I took his brother out for breakfast and Arlo woke up in the middle of it. It was a little awkward because of the table but other than that I found that my sweater covered his head nicely and I don't think anybody even noticed what I was doing. It was a nice successful first time nursing in public!!
  • Lsager424Lsager424 member
    edited January 2016
    Before I had Hudson, I was under the impression I wouldn't be comfortable nursing in public. I didn't judge other women who did it. Just didn't think it would be for me. Now, I'm all about it. If my son needs to eat, it's my job to feed him. As PP said, it definitely helps that my husband is so supportive of it.

Regarding Alyssa Milano v Wendy Williams-I would personally never share a picture of myself breastfeeding on social media (I don't have any, but if I did...), but I'd also never share a picture of myself in nothing but suspenders. I'm under the impression that people way over share on social media. With that being said, I'm not sure why Wendy Williams would react the way she did. I find nothing offensive about her photo, in fact, I think breastfeeding your child is one of the most beautiful things in the world. These girl on girl crimes have got to stop.

ETA continuity.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm 100% fine nursing in public. If people feel the need to avert their eyes, I'm not offended at all, but I also think it's my right as a mother to feed my child whenever and wherever he needs to be fed. I use the infinity scarf (BabiesRUs). It's a lot lighter weight and easier to maneuver. If he gets too hot, I pull it up over his head a little so only the part where he's directly connected to me is covered. I'm personally not comfortable with going full out but if you are, more power to ya!
  • I've used a cover when nursing in public, mostly because I want to get her latching on her own a bit better and my boobs are huge. I want to try without a cover once she can latch better and I can coordinate the shirt/tank/bra thing a bit better. We have had a lot of friends and family visit at home and I don't cover up or leave the room while they're here.
  • Thanks for the link to the sweatshirt, I think I'll have to check it out! Also a huge thank you for everyone sharing their stories, I think next time we are out and he needs to eat in just going to go for it without the cover! I'll be as discreet as possible but he doesn't like the cover which makes him a distracted eater which doesn't benefit either of us...hopefully it will all work out!
  • I'm so self conscious I havent worked up the nerve to BF in public yet. That being said if I do work up the courage and someone made any type of remark I am pretty sure I would bite their head off about something so natural and necessary to my LOs health and development.

I did go back to work today and pumped in the car while commuting (1hr drive to work so may as well be productive). I kept covered w a shawl but mostly because it was -3 outside and I didnt want to blast the heater and warm the milk too much.
  • I've BF in public a couple of times using a thin blanket as a cover. Honestly when looking around I notice I'm the only one that cares, everyone else just keeps moving along. he's gotten much better at latching right away so hopefully soon I can build up the courage to go without the cover if need to be. about Wendy Williams I actually feel sorry for her. I'm sure the reason she's had so much work done on her body is because she has major image issues. She probably sees her own body as only a sexual object and that's why she feels the need to keep giving herself "upgrades".   
  • So I  have huge boobs, which makes breastfeeding an eye sight as it is....Covers just don't work because I need to pull my breast back a little from his nose when he's nursing so he can breathe. I usually tend to go out to the car wherever we are to feed him but anyone walking by can easily see me throwing my boob around to try and feed my baby. He usually gets frustrated in the car and its hard to get the proper angle and latch. I try and keep the trips short if I can.
  • Sometimes I will walk to the bathroom or a section of the store with less people to get him latched. This way I can get my boob out without worrying about getting looks. Once he is latched I rejoin the rest of my group or continue with my shopping. Then I just keep my fingers crossed that he doesn't start pecking at my boob like he's a woodpecker.
  • @blesofsky that's a great idea I don't know why I wouldn't have thought of that! Getting them latched is the most challenging. Thanks for sharing!
  • I am a huge chicken shit when it comes to bfing on public. Plus around here we have creepos who get off on watching a mother nurse her child. I bottle feed in public but only go out for 4-5 hrs tops. Haven't been out longer, just the way it's worked out so far. I know if we are ever out longer, I will have to get over the fear and just do it. It would be a lot easier than pumping.

Thank you for sharing the link to the sweat shirt. I will be investing in one or two of them .
  • The first time I BF in public i didn't have a choice. I left the bottle and milk at home. So I went in another room and latched him, looked in the mirror to make sure I wasn't showing anything, then went back to the party. No one even noticed. I have an infinity scarf cover and wore a blue jean jacket over it and it looked like iwas just wearing a lose shirt
  • This came across my Facebook feed. It's frustrating to see how people react to feeding in public.
    https://www.facebook.com/elburton/posts/10208037062061963
  • rachswi said:
    I ordered one of these sweatshirts and love it. Super comfortable and very easy to nurse in. They suggest ordering a size up, I normally wear a medium and ordered a large. It fits perfectly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have nursed my LO in public, 1st time I had to because I forgot her bottle. While I was shopping she was latch but i use a cover, it was so uncomfortable for LO and for me trying to keep it up while walking. Second time I was at a hospital lobby (my dad was in surgery) after hrs of waiting by boobs were super full, I was in pain. I took out my boob and nursed my LO.I did use my cardigan to cover a bit.
    Third time was yesterday after my baby had her shots. I was at the pediatrician lobby and I didnt care I just pullrd out my boob without covering, all I wanted was to comfort my baby.
  • rachswi said:
    I purchased the cowl neck version 2.0 and it just arrived today! This is awesome!!!! Comfortable and functional. Not just for public feeding but for pumping and feeding at home! Finally I dont have to strip down and close the blinds to feed my lo! Plus its freezing here and our house is on the chilly side...no more freezing while feeding! Great link thanks for sharing!
  • I did it! Went to Wegmans (grocery store) and fed her while we ate lunch in the cafe without a cover. I did sort of cover the top part of my boob with a small blanket because I forgot to wear two shirts and I have huge boobs, but I did it and it was fine and I think only one or two people even glanced my way. Achievement unlocked!

I have been nursing in public too without a cover and I feel liberated. I am pretty discreet and have realized that most of the boob is covered anyway.
  • blesofsky said:

I did it! Went to Wegmans (grocery store) and fed her while we ate lunch in the cafe without a cover. I did sort of cover the top part of my boob with a small blanket because I forgot to wear two shirts and I have huge boobs, but I did it and it was fine and I think only one or two people even glanced my way. Achievement unlocked!

I have been nursing in public too without a cover and I feel liberated. I am pretty discreet and have realized that most of the boob is covered anyway.
    It really was so much easier than with the cover! I got up the courage to try after another mom at my BFing group was talking about being nervous about it and the moms of older babies were encouraging her :)