VBAC

Vbac success!

I never really post here but found the vbac success stories to be inspiring when I was second guessing myself at the end of my pregnancy. I had a c section with DD1 after being induced for high blood pressure. I pushed for 3 hours and just couldn't get her out. Apparently the reasoning was malpositioning, but I did feel a sense of failure afterwards. When my doctor said I could try for a vbac the next time I was pretty determined.

This pregnancy I tried to stay as active as possible in hopes to avoid the high blood pressure which I did. I went into labor naturally at 38 weeks 5 days with my water breaking. Contractions started intensely about an hour later every 2 minutes so I went straight to the hospital. When I got there my least favorite doctor was on call and she checked me. I was 4cm and 80% effaced. She tried to convince me to get a c section saying "if you pushed for three hours last time and couldn't get a 7lb 5oz baby out I don't see why you'd be able to this time". This was very upsetting because I was in pain and vulnerable and almost caved, but I stood my ground and insisted I wanted to try for a vbac.

I was transferred to my room and everything happened very quickly. By the time I got my epidural it was time to push. The pain was so intense. I really felt the urge to push and led the pushing myself. I kept screaming that I couldn't do it and the nursing staff was very supportive in telling me I could. The doctor came back in and decided to suddenly be very supportive and was telling me I WAS going to have this baby vaginally because i was so close.

After about 20 minutes of pushing she was born and I pulled her up onto my chest. I think that was the most emotional moment of my life. I felt such intense joy, relief, and accomplishment. I had a second degree tear which isn't fun to recover from but nothing compared to c section recovery! She was 8lb 2oz (so nearly a pound bigger than DD1).

My main fear the whole pregnancy was uterine rupture but in labor it didn't even cross my mind once. I just encourage anyone who is a vbac candidate to go for it even though it can be scary!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Vbac success!