March 2016 Moms

Lets talk baby clothes...

edited January 2016 in March 2016 Moms
I've been having way too much fun buying girl clothes lately :) It almost seems like for the 0-3 month size I'll need 2 seasons of clothes.  March and most of April here are still cold, toward the end of April we start getting some nicer days and by May/June there are plenty of warm days. So assuming she's average sized like my others have been, I think I'll need some warm long sleeve/long pant items and some for warmer weather, at least maybe dresses or short sleeve tops and pants. After that the seasons seem to line up pretty well with sizes.  Is anyone else in the same boat?  What have you been buying?  Also when do you plan to start washing?  
And for moms who already have girls, are dresses more flexible, size-wise?  Say I have a long, thin baby who would need a size up for length, in a dress with a diaper cover or leggings, is it really that big of a deal?  With boy stuff it becomes obvious when you can no longer snap a onesie or romper ha!
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Lets talk baby clothes...

• edited January 2016
    Baby clothes are totally unpredictable where babies vary so much in size (and so do the stores!). My first (6.6 at birth, 5.12 when we left hospital) was in NB sizes (not 0-3 months) for about 6 weeks then transitioned into 0-3 months til he was like 5 months. He was tall and lean.
    I'd consider leaving the tags on the stuff you've bought and only wash when you're ready to move up to the next size. Stores are generally really good about returning kids clothes.
    Don't be surprised but your kiddo might be in 3 or 6 months clothes in the summer. A friend of mine had a chunky baby who was in 9 months clothes at 4 months.
  • I actually haven't bought any clothes yet. I was given a ton of newborn and 0-3 month stuff from a friend. This is my first girl too but not knowing her size makes me not want to buy a ton of stuff right from the get go. My oldest was born Feb 21 and he was tall and skinny and I believe he wore 3-6 and 6-9 during the summer. I think I will get a few new 0-3 month things before she's here and then just buy as she grows. Even though she's my first girl I'm totally not opposed to hand me downs, especially during the first year :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I got supper lucky: I have a ton of hand me downs for clothes. This is my first girl as well, but I have cared for little ones so long, I can tell you that dresses can often be more flexible on sizing. Most girls out grow onsies, then pants, then dresses last. However, you might find that baby girl gets more baby chub rolls and out grows everything at once.
  • I live in the Midwest and bought 3 month long sleeve and 6 months long sleeve and summer. I've bought no new born items, and wouldn't unless baby comes earlier I'll have husband run it to get us through a few days until I can. I'm pretty confident in having a 8+ lb baby considering my first was nearly 10. Plus, regardless of when born baby will go to daycare part time at 8 weeks (unless born like now and has medical issues) so I will send it in long sleeves for daycare regardless if it's may or August. I don't have (or choose not to use) the time or energy to keep track of receipts and attempt to return things, but considering the daycare blasting the air over summer it doesn't matter, plus most of what I buyer is modestly priced from carters, target, etc. I know she will move through the 3months so quick I'm hoping to get her in each outfit at least once. The 6 months summer will probably get used around July and on evenings and weekends if anything like my first- she progressed through the sizes much faster than her actual age. I did buy a snow suit ish looking thing just in case we attempt to brave a parade or something in April,or dd1 needs some outside time and I've got sweaters and onesies to go over and under things to layer up at all sizes if needed. My first was in 18-24 months around her first birthday but I also choose to wash and dry everything pretty much. She just had her 4th birthday and her winter 6x clothes are now too small, so I'm probably not the average case either. after about a year old I've been able to buy end of season stuff for dd1 for the next year- example buying clearance winter stuff now for next winter and already having most of her spring stuff stored away from last spring sales.
  • I've been trying so hard to have self control and not buy too much just yet. This is my first girl, but my sister had a girl 2 years ago so I have been blessed with a ton of hand me downs. I'm extremely thankful but still it's not as much fun as going to the store to buy new for the new princess. My son was in newborn for so long and so far she's measuring almost exactly the same as him so I'm assuming she will be in tiny clothes forever too
  • @alligreer88 I totally understand not tracking receipts. We usually buy from carters or target (RIP Canada Target we won't have you this time) and as long as you have tags on things you don't need a receipt. I brought back so many wrinkly clothes. My guy was a slow gainer though so people bought us 6,9 and 12 months clothes for the summer (he was 0-3, maybe 3 months) so we just traded them in months later.
  • My mom has gotten us everything we will need from NB-9 months from thrift and consignment stores! She started when we called to tell her I was pregnant at 5.5 weeks. She only buys the nicest, non stained things and we have a really nice selection/mixture. She's gotten us lots of swaddlers as well. We got a lot of NB-3 mons at our family baby shower too, but most of his things are 2nd hand. I can't see spending so much on clothes he'll out grow so quickly, most of the clothing items only cost between $1-$2! And after a wash they're like new anyways.

This is our first baby so we had nothing to start. My SIL is giving us all her boys hand me downs too, but they're 3 and 4 so he won't fit into the 2t stuff she started saving when we announced for a while, but eventually he'll have a nice selection of clothes from her as well. Here's to not having to buy much clothing! :)
  • You probably already have a good sense of how quickly your babies go through clothing sizes, so my situation might be different from your's. :) This is my third late winter baby and I didn't need warm weather 0-3 M clothes for the other two because they both topped the charts for height and weight. We were well into 3-6 M clothes by the time the weather started to get warm.

Dresses can be very forgiving. I didn't really use them much for DD until she was walking though and definitely not while she was crawling. Now I often buy her dresses a size up from what she needs, especially if there's a sash to help fit it to her a bit better.

I think I washed baby clothes last time around 34 or 35 weeks. Didn't need them for over a month, but I like to have things ready just in case.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I washed everything last weekend at 31 weeks.  It's all going to be in drawers (well the first few sizes anyway).  We haven't had to buy any clothes because we had so many saved and handed down.  I think we'll have to break the bank for 3-6 month clothes though. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• @FutureMrsCaesar I have been loving Sapling Child, saplingchild.com 

• During the first few months and before she could sit up on her own, it was a bit difficult to put her in fancy dresses.  They would bunch up around her waist or get into her face and everywhere.  She was mostly in onsies and pants, and once (maybe twice) a week I would put her in some lightweight dresses (she's a June/summer baby).  Dresses can be flexible in the way that some of DD's dresses from last winter became her tunic tops this year and I would pair them up with leggings.  The sleeves can get a little short but still look cute overall.  I love dressing up girls and it is hard to not look for cute dresses!  Have fun with it!!
  • I've been washing as I get enough for a full load. I have various sizes as this is our first and while I was a small baby DH was born 6 weeks early at almost 8lbs and 24 inches long! Also since we are cloth diapering from birth we haven't bought a lot of onesies but shirts and bottoms-generally with no feet in them. I have a few gowns that she will probably live in the first few weeks as we are adjusting to life. Anything that is too small right away I'm just going to donate.
    DD: Beatrix Louise aka BeeBop. April 2 2016. H.I.E Warrior <3
  • You could layer long white sleeve onesies under short sleeves if you want to focus on short sleeves. Zip up hoodies are nice to have in the awkward transition weather too.

I had a couple dresses in that 0-3 size and they weren't all that cute on a baby that doesn't stand up. But they are pretty forgiving. We were using 12m dresses at 2 years for example.

I really loved Rompers in the summer for DD.
  • Katherine8908Katherine8908 member
    edited January 2016
  • Thanks for all the input!!  Especially on the dresses.  
    Fortunately I have tons of plain onesies and neutral-ish sleepers and swaddles from my boys so I don't have to buy much of that, so I've been able to focus on the fun cute clothes!  We will be leaving the house basically daily because of my other 3 kids schedules (well not so much the 2 year old) but with school and sports we always have places to go, not to mention grocery store trips constaly and Dr appointments etc.  
    My kids have been around 7-8lbs at birth (this baby is predicted to be 7.1 from my last ultrasound) and have followed the age ranges for clothing pretty closely, DS3 was in newborn clothes longer than the others because he had reflux and gained slower, but overall I think she'll be similar.  
  • When they are super little, get the dresses with the onesie attached. Otherwise they just ride up and you see their butt/tummy all the time. And honestly, my daughter didn't wear many of the dresses we had for her anyway. I learned that the pajamas with the hand covers are the best for the beginning so they don't scratch themselves and also long sleeved onesies with hand covers and pants. Even when it's warm out, our house has AC and it's cold for a baby. I wanted all the cute stuff but the functional stuff was the best. I've bought a lot of long sleeved stuff and pajamas and that's about it. I'll probably start washing around 33-34 weeks as my daughter was a few weeks early.

Side note: It is seriously super hard to not buy everything when it comes to a girl. EVERYTHING is so stinkin' cute!!! I still buy way too much for her now and we got so many hand me downs. Buying for a boy is easier because there aren't as many options. LOL!
    image BabyFruit Ticker
  • I live in northeast PA and it's usually is cold till May and then still in 50s and 60s. All my 0-3 are either sleepers or winter clothes. With my other 3 kids newborns were to small since my babies were closer to 8 and half pounds and all over 18 inches in length. Even my first at 36 weeks was 7lbs 5 oz. I have 3-6 month sleepers and waiting to get spring things in that size. That size and May and June here can be tricky. I got 6-9 months in summer sizes that I've been still finding on clearance and sleepers. They most likely wont get worn till mid or end June.
    Usually with dresses I put fancy diaper coverings on when warm, tights when cold. That covers if dress is a little shorter. Mostly though unless warm or something special I stay away from the dresses. They are more awkard.
    My clothes are washed and put in her drawers because I'm 3 weeks from my csection. I did them about a week and a half ago when got my bag ready.
  • I bought warmer newborn stuff and more spring/summer type 0-3. I have no idea how big she is gonna be, but it was just a guess. I've started washing blankets and things and putting them away, waiting till after my shower to wash everything else.
    M & B
    miscarriage - September 2012 @ 9 weeks
    blighted ovum - November 2012
    BFP!!! - July 2015
    Amelia, my sweet little rainbow baby born March 4, 2016
  • When my son was born I remember having to run out specifically to get NB sized clothes. 0-3 was way too big on him and he wasn't a tiny baby either (7lbs 10oz, 21").
    Just something to keep in mind.

Fwiw, I'm also having trouble figuring out the dress thing for newborn babies. Do they wear tights at that age?
  • I'm going to buy all the baby dresses but pair them with leggings. I'm always cold and wear leggings in the summer so I think it's not weird to have them on baby girl.
    I figure the dresses will kinda grow into tunics so we'll get some use out of them.
  • I agree about not buying too many clothes and purchasing with the seasons. Both of my boys were around 8 pounds, which is big, but not giant. Both went all the way from newborn to 12 month clothes by the time they were six months and then stayed in 12 month until nearly a year. So if I had purchased 9 month clothes thinking of their age at 9 months I would have been purchasing for November. Except they were in 9 months at 5 months so that put it in the middle of August! Neither DH or I are big people and both of my boys are now in the 50th percentiles at ages six and four. You really can't predict the growth rate for the first year, so either save your receipts or hold off and just purchase a few layering items for each season. I had so much cute stuff that I couldn't use with my first!
  • PSA-I found some fleece hat and glove sets on sale at Old Navy for like $1.99.  We go for lots of walks and I thought these would be really handy, but I haven't taken the tags off of anything just yet.  
  • diablesse said:
    Fwiw, I'm also having trouble figuring out the dress thing for newborn babies. Do they wear tights at that age?
    I wouldn't want to do tights on an infant personally. They're not super comfy at any age and I feel like a pair of leggings or soft pants just works better for babies both for comfort and for easier dressing/undressing. DD started wearing tights when she was around 2 yrs old.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ok ok... I'm a snob, I don't want lime green and bright orange baby clothes covered in dinosaurs or cars or animals - so I'll be relieved if I don't get those kind of things at my shower. I have however surprisingly found a ton of items at thrift and 2nd hand baby stores with the tags still on, I snagged a $150 dress for $8.. A $36 onesie for $2, Ralph Lauren for $1 and so on... Babies grow so quickly and although the things that I've found have never been worn, I've totally changed my opinion about 2nd hand and think it's a SMART option especially for first babies.. They grow out of clothes quickly, are unpredictable as far as what you will need and when... I have only bought a selection of 3-12 month clothes.. I'm guessing I'll get 0-3 baby grow onesies at my shower which I'll leave the tags on until baby arrives and we see how big she is.. As someone mentioned above, I think leaving the tags on and only taking them off and washing clothes as needed is the best option, I've known way too many people get stuck with tons of things that they never used as they were too small, especially shoes - babies don't need nikes !
  • @amyid I totally agree about shoes! We bought robeez for 0-6, 6-12 and 12-18. They fit forever and you can easily find them used!

I was going to leave my kid shoeless for excursions for the longest time but Canada is cold lol
  • amyid said:

Ok ok... I'm a snob, I don't want lime green and bright orange baby clothes covered in dinosaurs or cars or animals - so I'll be relieved if I don't get those kind of things at my shower. I have however surprisingly found a ton of items at thrift and 2nd hand baby stores with the tags still on, I snagged a $150 dress for $8.. A $36 onesie for $2, Ralph Lauren for $1 and so on... Babies grow so quickly and although the things that I've found have never been worn, I've totally changed my opinion about 2nd hand and think it's a SMART option especially for first babies.. They grow out of clothes quickly, are unpredictable as far as what you will need and when... I have only bought a selection of 3-12 month clothes.. I'm guessing I'll get 0-3 baby grow onesies at my shower which I'll leave the tags on until baby arrives and we see how big she is.. As someone mentioned above, I think leaving the tags on and only taking them off and washing clothes as needed is the best option, I've known way too many people get stuck with tons of things that they never used as they were too small, especially shoes - babies don't need nikes !

We did the same thing! Lots of really nice thrift store/2nd hand finds!!! And I'm also super picky about prints and colors... For example, he has no red clothes because I hate wearing red! And he has a lot of neutral clothes so I can reuse them for #2 in the future regardless of boy or girl!
  • I've had two showers (surprise!), one for first baby and now this and I've found that people overwhelming gave me clothes for 3m and up. Last time I had to send my husband out to stock up on newborn sizes. Sucks that they don't last long, but I found a huge difference in the way newborn fit vs 0-3. My son was swimming in 0-3 and he was average weight.

Good for you buying second hand. I'm all about scouting thrift stores for awesome vintage furniture or pieces I can restore I can but I haven't been able to bite the bullet on anything cloth or upholstered. I think I'm the snob.
  • visiting from April 2016 Moms :) Totally agree on thrift store buys!  I'm a FTM so I have no idea what to expect in terms of growth for my LO.  I went to Once Upon a Child and purchased sleepers, rompers, footies, and some SUPER cute baby Gap outfits in a variety of sizes.  I got 20 items for $38.  I liked shopping there because you could see styles from different brand without having to go to multiple stores. One thing I learned too is that the sizing for each brand is different (the Gerber 3 mo items look TINY compared to babyGap and Carter's!). I went for basics (no dinosaurs, 'phrase shirts', chunky bright stripes or orange - the horror) and had lots of luck finding cute items in great condition - some even still had the tags on!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My daughter was huge (9.5lbs) but decided to stop eating after being born, so while she skipped NB she was in 0-3s for longer than I expected. Sweaters helped bridge the gap between long sleeves and short sleeve. Dresses on babies are a huge pain unless they are the soft, comfortable kind and it's totally fine to use those with leggings. 

I wash everything as I buy it, but I haven't bought anything I'd need to return (no NB for this kid either. Not much 0-3 either, he can totally wear his sister's onesies for a while as most of it was gender neutral to begin with). 
  • I just went through all of the baby clothes this weekend. We never did NB sizes (DD wasn't huge but not small either, 8 lbs 14 oz, but she was up to 10lbs at her 2 week check up. I have a decent amount of 0-3 mo onsies but almost all of the sweaters, hoodies, etc. are 6 month. I'd rather have them last longer and roll the sleeves. It is SO hard to predict what size a baby will be but in general I'd err on the side of too big even the peanuts grow so quickly. Plus as others have mentioned it's all about layers, blankets, etc. don't worry about "'outfits" for the first couple of months unless it's special occasion stuff. For day to day onsies, hoodies, leggings and sleepers are best. 
  • I am having a girl also. I have tons of clothes for any season. I think I have to much but I am expected to have her March 16 but was told I will be having her early. The weather we've been having is so unpredictable. One day it would be 70 degrees outside and the next day it will be in the 50s. I have washed all my clothes that I have receive and plus my stepmom washed the clothes that she gave me.  This is my second but my first was a boy so it was so easy picking out clothes with him.