Baby Names
Options

Spelling ("Eye-lee")

jenfarm3jenfarm3 member
edited January 2016 in Baby Names
DH and i have finally agreed on a girl name that we both love. for our first pregnancy, at least, i'm really trying to be team green. we've been trying to decide on a boy name and a girl name and while we had no problem picking a boy name (bram walker) we have had the haaardest time agreeing on a girl name. i feel like it's definitely a good thing we started early... anyway, we heard the "name" while DH was watching a whiskey documentary last night on islay whiskeys. (he's a big whiskey/bourbon lover.) he randomly asked me, "what about that for a girl's name?" i love it. i've been a big fan of isla and hadley forever but haven't been able to sell either one of them to him, but apparently combining them was the trick. we are thinking "islay quin." (quin is a family name we are really trying to use as a mn.) i'm aware that "islay" can also be pronounced as "eye la" (it was said both ways in the documentary. and when i search online, i'm finding both pronunciations.) but we really like "eye lee" or "eye ley" (soft ending). i'm having a hard time deciding how we should spell it. should we keep it as "islay" or would that be weird? i am leaning towards this option though... i see it kind of like "lindsey" being spelled with an "ay". still pronounced the same either way though. i've googled and this has seemed to be a dilemma for other parents who have chosen this name. there were multiple other ways they tried to spell it, but i wasn't crazy about many of them. i feel like no matter how we spell it, there is inevitably going to be pronunciation issues throughout her life. (heck, i'm jenna. you'd think that would be easy enough for people but you'd be surprised. *eye roll.*) long story short... help? :)
houston, tx. eharmony 7.3.11. married 3.7.15. oilfield wife.

Spelling ("Eye-lee") 118 votes

Islay
11% 13 votes
Isley
40% 48 votes
Eily
9% 11 votes
Other idea?
38% 46 votes

Re: Spelling ("Eye-lee")

• Options
    you're right, it probably shouldn't. but i'm having a hard time and it seems others have too. just looking for some opinions. thanks for the help though.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is a hard one.  Iylie like Kylie? But it looks weird. I feel like with any of your Islay/Isley I would actually say is-lay, you know?
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married: 04/05/15
    TTC since: 02/16/16

• Options
    Dilynne said:
    This is a hard one.  Iylie like Kylie? But it looks weird. I feel like with any of your Islay/Isley I would actually say is-lay, you know?
    Yeah. I know what you mean. I know two people with the last name "Isley" or "Eisley" and they're both pronounced "Eye-zlee." So, I could see jumping to that pronunciation.

• Options
    Eiley, or even Eylee.
  • Options
    I like the silent 'S'.. I would agree with the following pronunciations:

Islay - I-LAY
    Islee - I-LEE
    Isley - could honestly go either way with the above.

...this probably didn't help at all.
    Me: 32
    DH: 33
    Married: October 2015
    TTC #1: October 2015
    EDD #1: June/July 2017

• Options
    Islay makes me think -lay. That would be my first guess. I would go with Isley, Islee, or Islie. Those endings are more likely to lead to "lee."
  • Options
    In know a little girl with this name, spelled Ailey. I don't understand the silent "s" in the other spellings. Eiley (as in Eileen) is another option.
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    I know an Islie, pronounced Eye-lee. 

I feel like Islie is too in the realm of Riley and Miley. Are you open to the suggestion of Isla? It's such a beautiful name and you could call her Islie as a pet name. 
  • Options
    So... You want to name your daughter after whiskey. image
    This. Maybe she'll meet a Jameson. I saw one at a story time once.
    I have a friend who is a Jack Daniel. My parents said they almost named my sister Tia Maria. Of course.. it was just a joke...
  • Options
    atcwag said:
    I know you love the same, but damning your potential daughter to a constant rebuttal of correcting mispronunciation is silly. I say throw this name in the trash. Edit: typo
    Yes unless you spell it "Eilee" - which is like Eileen without the n. It looks ridiculous but it will be less likely to get mispronounced.

I guess a general rule of thumb is if you have to work something out phonetically, that should be taken into huge consideration unless the name has cultural significance to you (ie: Saoirse) 
  • Options
    Conky3000Conky3000 member
    edited January 2016

Eilidh is a legit Scottish name but I believe it's pronounced Ay-lee (as in the sound in the word pain)rather than Eye-lee. Like Hayley without the H. I know that doesn't help with exactly what you want, but something to consider. It's so close and there's no messing around with spelling.

I don't suggest Isla because, while it's lovely, it's on a massive upswing in popularity and that would put me off.

• Options
    Just chiming in to say that having lived in Scotland, the island Islay is most definitely pronounced "Eye-la," regardless of what folks in the documentary said. Also PP is right about Eilidh being "Ay-lee" but I doubt most people outside Scotland would have a clue.

I think Eilee is most likely to get the pronounciation you want, but I think it would still get messed up a bunch.
  • Options
    I have a cousin who combined her middle and last names to make her DD's name and it come out "Eilee" (eye-lee). So there is one way that someone has spelled that name. Good luck. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mellymar said:
    So... You want to name your daughter after whiskey.
    Yep. Exactly. Turns out whiskey gave us the idea for a name for our possible future daughter. If you knew how we came up with Bram you'd probably pee a little.
    Conky3000 said:

Eilidh is a legit Scottish name but I believe it's pronounced Ay-lee (as in the sound in the word pain)rather than Eye-lee. Like Hayley without the H. I know that doesn't help with exactly what you want, but something to consider. It's so close and there's no messing around with spelling.

I don't suggest Isla because, while it's lovely, it's on a massive upswing in popularity and that would put me off.

I did find this one after posting this thread. I'd be ok with this pronunciation. I will definitely show this to DH. I also found "Aili" which is pronounced "Eye-lee" and apparently fairly common in Finland.

Paturkey said:
    Just chiming in to say that having lived in Scotland, the island Islay is most definitely pronounced "Eye-la," regardless of what folks in the documentary said. Also PP is right about Eilidh being "Ay-lee" but I doubt most people outside Scotland would have a clue. I think Eilee is most likely to get the pronounciation you want, but I think it would still get messed up a bunch.
    This is interesting. The documentary was filmed in Scotland with Scottish people. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just wondering why it was being said both ways then. 

holocene said:
    I know an Islie, pronounced Eye-lee. 

I feel like Islie is too in the realm of Riley and Miley. Are you open to the suggestion of Isla? It's such a beautiful name and you could call her Islie as a pet name. 

I love Isla. I suggested it to DH ages ago and he couldn't be totally sold on it. Idk what makes him feel so strongly against ending with an "ee" over ending in an "ah" but apparently it's a deal breaker. 

Thanks y'all for the help and suggestions. It's given me some ideas and things to think about. As far as deciding to change our minds on naming our potential daughter this based on the likelihood of people having pronunciation issues or the fact that she'll, in some way, be named after a whiskey region... it won't happen but I appreciate your concern.

• Options
    So. I needed a distraction from coloring, and checked to see if Islay was on Behind the name, and it is! It's considered masculine, and Isla is the feminine form. So, my advice is name her Isla. You can call her Islay as a nn, and with the upswing Isla is on, there won't be as many pronunciation issues as Islay will have, because Scottish names do not make sense to most Americans.
    I'd already looked it up on Behind the Name, as well, and was aware of this. Whether a name is considered masculine or not doesn't really dictate much to me whether or not I could name my daughter it. I know it matters to some people, but it doesn't to me.

• Options
    So. I needed a distraction from coloring, and checked to see if Islay was on Behind the name, and it is! It's considered masculine, and Isla is the feminine form. So, my advice is name her Isla. You can call her Islay as a nn, and with the upswing Isla is on, there won't be as many pronunciation issues as Islay will have, because Scottish names do not make sense to most Americans.
    I'd already looked it up on Behind the Name, as well, and was aware of this. Whether a name is considered masculine or not doesn't really dictate much to me whether or not I could name my daughter it. I know it matters to some people, but it doesn't to me.
    You can do whatever you want, but I think many people have brought up issues that while you might not worry about, your daughter who has to live with the name you give her might.
    Haha. Forgive me if I feel that you are being a bit dramatic. "Islay" may traditional be the masculine spelling but the name is in no way completely masculine. I could see what you mean with other names but I don't think that really applies here.

• Options
    I like it, I think it's pretty. I would probably spell it Isley. Unfortunately, unless you're a name nerd like we all are people will most likely mispronounce it quite a bit until they no what the name is...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I also really like Bram Walker! very nice :)

• Options
    Spell it Eylee and avoid confusion!  I think the name is pretty.  I didn't read your post to say you're naming your daughter AFTER whiskey - you happened to hear a name you liked while watching a whiskey documentary.  Either way - that is besides the point -  :)  I saygo fir it, just spell it as simply as possible. 
  • Options
    @mylilwildflower and @strese28 Thank you! :blush: 

• Options
    How'd you get bram?! I'm really curious now.
  • Options
    I usually say spell it the original way but in this case, I'd go with Eiley.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• Options
    How'd you get bram?! I'm really curious now.
    LOL. I almost don't wanna even give the satisfaction of the story... but simply put: It's shortened from my husband's gamer tag "Brambles".

• Options
    This poor child.
    Oh, please.

• Options
    yea me too!
  • Options
  • Options
    I just read some of the other responses and also think Eilee is a great thought.
  • Options
    My cousin had a baby two months ago and she used this name They spell it Eily.
  • Options
    Ileigh?
  • Options
    A Chinese woman I know spells it Aili.