August 2015 Moms

4 month sleep regression

Has anyone else come upon the 4 month sleep regression? My boy is a horrible sleeper to begin with, but the last few days we've been up every hour and half at night! The only way to get him back down is to nurse, which I know he's not hungry that often, but it's better than screaming for half hour then giving in and nursing. I feel so hopeless that his sleeping will get better! Before this he would only make it about 3 hours at night, but that's better than an hour and half

Re: 4 month sleep regression

• We are at the end of leap 4, and although I have a really great sleeper, we had some trouble for about a week. The beginning is the worse part but it does get better. Our LO is back to being super happy and sleeping all night. He is also a lot busier, he is constantly wanting to do something. Best of luck, it will get better!
  • I think this is pretty common for BF babies. Everything i've read says that sleeping thru night comes much later for BF babies, more like 6 months. Is it possible he has an ear infection? My son's been waking every 3.5 hours on the dot when he was sleeping through the night, and its because its when the tylenol wears off. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think ear infection, but teething is definitely on the horizon. He's drooling like crazy, chewing on hands, but no fever or anything else that seems to be bothering him. I can't feel any teeth buds just yet though. I'm exhausted!!
  • DD started to show signs of this. I think she smelled my fear lol. But thankfully she changed her mind after a couple of days and went back to her usual self. Hoping this gets better really soon for you.
  • We've hit it hard too. I'm so sorry! I hope your LO gets to sleeping better really soon for mamma's sake.

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our naps have gone to hell in a handbasket. I used to be able to put him down (easily) and not hear from him for 2 hours for his morning nap. Now, I can set my watch by it, he wakes up screaming at 35 minutes and is still exhausted. He also fights me to go to sleep, I have to basically bear hug him to get him to calm down and he is still fighting it. I've tried keeping him up longer, shorter, giving more food before bed, nothing seems to get him back on track. It's been 2 weeks now without a good nap. And twice this week he's thrown an hour to an hour and a half party in the middle of the night, which he hadn't done in a long time.
    BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• Same here, guys! Sleep regression is for the birds! Bleh! Just when you think you've got this little human figured out they laugh and throw you a curve ball. Thankfully it doesn't last forever.
  • Exactly @ericadaniel315! As soon as I get excited about getting something right it changes ha!
  • ckennett62814ckennett62814 member
    edited December 2015
    My dd is only 3 months but she had a little bit of a sleep regression 2 weeks ago. She would usually sleep 10:30pm to 8:30 am with no wake ups and then she was still going down for 10:30 but waking at 4am 5:30am then up for the day at 7:30. Luckily this only lasted 4 days! Now she is 10 pm to 8:30 am! I have a pretty good sleeper! She is EBF.
  • My LO started sleeping in 6hr-10hr segments when she was a month old. I was soooo lucky!
    Now that we hit this sleep regression three weeks ago, she's been waking every 30-90 minutes every night. I'm so exhausted and just don't see an end in sight

• Pass the coffee and toothpicks to prop open my eyelids. 3rd night in a row where he woke up and just would not go back to sleep for love or money. And he guzzled my bottles of milk, so again I got to go downstairs and pump in the middle of the night. Usually he will nurse if he wakes at night, but not the last 3 nights. So tired.

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• My husband and I alternate night shift and I feel like we are playing roulette with who is going to get the first night of the sleep regression. I'm thinking it's going to be me... Tonight. LO fell asleep at 8 and has already woken up fussing twice (it's 10:30). Yay...
  • Anyone else guilty of bed sharing during the sleep regression?

LO used to sleep in a bassinet right next to my bed, but it got tiring getting up every hour-ish to soothe her (she's never hungry when she wakes up). I just started putting her in bed with me after her first wake up. She seems to sleep much better in bed with me. If she stirs, she settles herself back to sleep. I don't have to give her the pacifier as often. We have a king size bed, and I sleep without a pillow with my head next to hers (hair up in ponytail) when we bed share.

I feel guilty about it, and I'm worried I'm building a habit. But sleep has been better the last couple nights I've done this. And it's really sweet to have her turn her head so it's touching my face and hear her settle back into sleep.

• I grab my boy out of his crib when he wakes up earlier than 6am and bring him in bed with me. I am worried about creating bad habits too! My boy wakes up every two or so hours and I can't get him back to sleep unless I nurse him, which I'm worried that now he's dependent on that too! Too much to worry about, especially when you're sleep deprived!
  • ksimon23 said:

I grab my boy out of his crib when he wakes up earlier than 6am and bring him in bed with me. I am worried about creating bad habits too! My boy wakes up every two or so hours and I can't get him back to sleep unless I nurse him, which I'm worried that now he's dependent on that too! Too much to worry about, especially when you're sleep deprived!

Just wondering have things gotten any better for you yet? I'm in the same boat....
  • Not really! It's completely hit or miss. Some nights we are up twice, which is great, and some nights we are up five times. Sometimes he'll sleep until 5 sometimes 630. I can't figure out any pattern. Bath nights don't really make a difference either. Ahhh!
  • My baby had Hand Foot & Mouth this last week so if it wasn't four months that messed her up, that sure did. I'm slowly trying to get back on track.

FWIW: I slept with all my babies and she is no exception. She is the best sleeper out of the three of them, she is fine sleeping in her cosleeper attached to my bed now, whereas her brothers never slept well in my room other than with me. Since she's been sick she has been with me more, but typically it's only after she nurses at 4-6 AM does she come into my bed. I never planned on cosleeping with my kids. It just worked for us. I wouldn't worry about habits, you can break them later, and the way I see it is I can suffer now with keeping them in the bassinet and waking multiple times, or suffer later with some sleep training/whatever method you choose to transition them into their own sleep space. They are only little for so long - there is plenty of time to get them into their own beds. What worked best for us has always been starting them out in their own spaces and if they woke up, bringing them into bed. It helped for me and DH to have some time to ourselves as well.
  • Jumping into the conversation...

So we meet with a sleep coach. We started working on putting him down drowsy but awake. After about 30min of him fussing and me sushing and rubbing his belly, he is alseep. 2 hours only though. Then every 2 hours. The sleep coach says dream feed at 10 and feed him at 1 and 4. So great he wakes up at 3 and cries till 4. We are there the entire time- sushing and rubbing his belly. The insane part- we just got back from vacation where he slept like a champ. 6 hours and the 3 and 3. Wtf wtf

He is 18 weeks.
  • you can't regress out of something they've never done :(
    woe is me
  • Bickey11 said:
    you can't regress out of something they've never done :(
    woe is me

Lol I thought the same way!! but my LO has a little cold and he used to wake up every 2 or 3 hours and now his sleep is even worse! I'm actually looking forward to a solid 3 hours now lol.
  • Haha exactly! We have our first cold now also and we were up every hour last night!
  • How long will this last!? We are up every two hours! This started on 12/24. He just turned 5 months yesterday.
  • gadawgmom said:

How long will this last!? We are up every two hours! This started on 12/24. He just turned 5 months yesterday.

LO's sleep regression lasted maybe 5-6 weeks. It was rough but we are FINALLY out!

• Man we are still up every 2-3 hours and that's his norm! I wish I could blame it on a regression ha!
  • Ours lasted about 5 weeks. I'm just seeing the light at the end of a sleepless tunnel in the last week or so.

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

• Mine still wakes up once or twice through the night
  • My baby girl was sleeping 12 hours a night. Now at 4 months she wakes up almost every hour =(
  • My DD will neither nap or sleep at bedtime. I apparently made the bad habit of nursing her to sleep & it worked great. Now she wakes up screaming when I go to put her in her crib. No amount of shushing or soothing works. After about 3-4 hours each night for the post few nights we give up & hold her till she is absolutely passed out from exhaustion. Today I hit my wits end when she screamed most of the day & wouldn't nap at all. I'm really worried about trying to get her to sleep tonight.
  • Oh man @Gasbarro2011, I'm sorry! Does she sleep through the night when you actually do get her down? Does having someone else give her a bottle instead of breast help at all?
  • @Gasbarro2011 ugh!! Our LO went through a tough "I'm not going to sleep without having a meltdown" phase a couple of weeks ago. I'm sorry you're going through such a tough time. The only thing that got me through was remembering that he eventually would fall asleep. But ohmygosh what a struggle! Stay strong!
  • So we started giving a bottle of formula and using the Rock and Play. He slept for 4 hours the past two nights! Wooo!
  • My DD is going through a phase of seperation anxiety and fights sleep according to our Ped. The night after my last post she awoke at midnight & I tried to get her back to sleep until 5am. I finally woke up DH and he rocked her to sleep, but it only lasted 1/2 an hour. We have since been trying the pick up/put down method suggested by our Ped. & I added a musical aquarium to her crib. Some nights are better than others. Last night was great. She slept from 9:30pm-4am & after a feeding from 4:30am-8am. I'm praying that it want just a fluke.