Breastfeeding

Can't pump anymore!

I used to pump all the time but I noticed I was having to throw away frozen milk because I rarely needed to be away from DS. He's 8 months old now and I stopped pumping around October. Now I try to pump every once in a while and literally NOTHING comes out! Not a drop...I know I have milk and my supply is fine..any ideas what's going on?? I use the Medela Pump in Style. Thanks ladies!

Re: Can't pump anymore!

• I had a similar problem and my issue was it didn't work to start with, then I got stressed and upset it wasn't working and then there was no way it was working!

I had a nice bath, my favourite tea and watched a tv show. Afterwards it worked great!
  • ladythriceladythrice member
    edited January 2016
    @Caileybug are you pumping after feedings? What time of day are you pumping? How long are you pumping? Are you getting a let down at all? Have you replaced the membranes on your pump?

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I try pumping on the opposite side of whichever side he feeds on (he block feeds). I've tried in the morning (used to be able to get 7 oz no prob!), tried in the evening...nothing :(
    I have replaced the membranes but still nothing. My boobs have gotten a lot smaller since he was little...they're definitely not as full as they used to be but I know I have lots of milk. Is it possible that the flanges are too big now?? It's so frustrating :(

• Try massaging your breasts while you pump. Also warm compresses really help me with let down
  • Caileybug said:
    I try pumping on the opposite side of whichever side he feeds on (he block feeds). I've tried in the morning (used to be able to get 7 oz no prob!), tried in the evening...nothing :(
    I have replaced the membranes but still nothing. My boobs have gotten a lot smaller since he was little...they're definitely not as full as they used to be but I know I have lots of milk. Is it possible that the flanges are too big now?? It's so frustrating :(

@CaileybugIt is possible that your body has just leveled off its production. It sounds like before you were an over producer and the pumping routine you had in place kept telling your body to keep making that milk. Once you stopped pumping your body decided it no longer needed to make that extra milk so it only produces what your LO takes in.

If you aren't getting any milk at all, not even 0.5-1 ounces then I think your pump is not working properly. You mentioned the flange size. Flange size isn't really dependent on your breast size, more so on the size of your nipple. If your nipples have remained largely the same size, it is unlikely that you need a different size. Take a look at the graphic below. Do you think you are fitting properly?

If you are getting SOME milk, and the pump is triggering a let down, then I think your supply has just tapered off to producing just what baby needs, with little extra. You can keep pumping and it will slowly, slowly, build your supply back up to producing more.

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Late to the game...how is this going for you? Do you typically feel your let downs?