Breastfeeding

Green poop...allergy?

Does green poop always mean an allergy?

A little back history my LO is recovering from pneumonia, about a week ago he finished his antibiotics. He has been sick for a month. When the virus first started the pediatrician suspected a milk protien allergy and asked me to cut out dairy. The diaherrhea turned into a cough so the doctor said it was definitely a virus. But she didn't know if the diaherrhea was caused by milk protien or the virus and asked that I keep it cut from my diet.

A week and a half went by and the virus turned to pneumonia, the doctor asked if I had seen any change in his poop. When I said no she asked that I cut out soy also.

I have been dairy free for a month and soy free for 3 weeks. LO is feeling much better cough/congestion wise. But in the last 2 days he has had big green poops. Not sticky but not watery, I guess mucusy would be the best term. (Sorry if that's TMI)

I don't know if I should go on a full elimination diet (chicken, rice and steamed vegetables) for 2 weeks to rule it out or if this is just his body trying to work out the allergy/sickness

I should add that I think I am allergic to dairy after cutting it out I feel much better day to day. So idk if dairy will make a come back, I was quite addicted to it before cutting it out entirely.
And what gives with them putting milk in everything.....

Re: Green poop...allergy?

• Hmmm...my LO has poop that looks like you are describing quite regularly. My pedi said the only poop that is concerning is black, white and red so unless there are other symptoms I don't worry about it.

Given the recent illness (that sounds terrible by the way) I would probably check in with the pedi
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Thanks @tracij12 it was terrible....he did fine, I was a wreck though lol
  • Loading the player...
  • How old is your son?

When lo was a newborn r had this problem. My son got green poop that looked like foamy algae when he was getting too much for milk and not enough hind milk. I solved it by encouraging him to empty a breast before offering the other. I learned that he really only needs one side to fill him at a feeding.

Green poop I think can also mean stomach illness. Its not ALWAYA an allergy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @longliveregina (nice tag btw, I'm addicted to OUAT) he is 3 months old. I'm not actually sure if that's the issue or not. When I pump I don't get very much when replacing his feeding times at work ~3oz from both in one sitting. But I am not sure what he is actually getting from each side at a feeding.

Hmm I wonder if it is the virus left in his stomach then, I just don't want to needlessly go to the doctor....telling you to come in seems to be their favorite response to any question and I'm loosing sick hours to early.
  • @longliveregina (nice tag btw, I'm addicted to OUAT) he is 3 months old. I'm not actually sure if that's the issue or not. When I pump I don't get very much when replacing his feeding times at work ~3oz from both in one sitting. But I am not sure what he is actually getting from each side at a feeding.

Hmm I wonder if it is the virus left in his stomach then, I just don't want to needlessly go to the doctor....telling you to come in seems to be their favorite response to any question and I'm loosing sick hours to early.

I hear that about sick hours...I used all mine in maternity leave and am now taking unpaid days!! No Saturday hours at the doctors, I'm guessing?

Do you time how long he is at each breast? My nurse at the hospital and my pediatrician were both big fans of saying ten minutes on each side. I find this so unhelpful. I met feeding on the same side until lo was fine, then switched to the other. Then, at the next feeding, I started with the second breast.

I also typically get 4-5 ounces per pumping session (from both sides, 2 ounces per side). Do you stop pumping after you no longer get milk? I usually can get a second good let down about eight-ten minutes after the first flow has stopped. I also watch videos of my baby on my phone to help myself relax and let down faster. How long do you pump for at each session? I know my chunky monkey nursing gets more per feeding much faster than I can with a pump...his 25 pounds are proof of that, lol.

Is his poop still green?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • tracij12 said:

Hmmm...my LO has poop that looks like you are describing quite regularly. My pedi said the only poop that is concerning is black, white and red so unless there are other symptoms I don't worry about it.

Given the recent illness (that sounds terrible by the way) I would probably check in with the pedi

Mine said the same- I l took her in yesterday for poo questions.
  • His last poop turned mustardy yellow again. Which was a good sign of relief to me. But he's going so long between them 1/day or less that it's a huge blowout when it happenes now.

It was almost as soon as his poop went back to a normal color that he stared having odd rashes though. I'm contemplating going on full elimination just to be sure I am not what's causing all of his strange symptoms

I'm glad both of yall's pediatricians told you green was okay, I was worried about the color. I haven't seen any more blood since I cut out dairy and soy

@longliveregina my pedi told me to do 15 min per side. So I normally do 15 minutes on the first side then let him choose when to stop from the second side. I've struggled with low supply since he was 3 weeks old. He actually lost weight one week which scared me into worrying about my supply constantly.

When I pump the most I get is about 2oz per side when pumping to replace a feeding, instead of after. After I will get between 1/4 of an ounce to 1 ounce depending on how long he nursed.
  • I'm sorry you have struggled with low supply. I hope he it's gaining well now! My son also lost wrought the first week...pretty much all breastfed babies do. I also only get 2 ozs each side when pumping to replace a feed, and my son is in the 90 percentiles....as I'm sure you know, the amount you pump is not the admit baby gets. The only real way to know baby is getting with its wet nappies and weight gain.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know it's often recommend to nurse 15 min from one breast and then 15 min from the other in one nursing session. However, and I don't know if you have already tried this, but for me it was better to let DS empty one breast first and then I would offer the other if he still seemed hungry. At next feeding I would start with the one he didn't nurse from or nursed from secondly. Best of luck to you!
  • Not necessarily, green could be From iron too. It's quite normal. I would stick to dairy/soy free for another couple weeks though so virus is cleared and you know if that ever was an issue!
  • Not necessarily, green could be From iron too. It's quite normal. I would stick to dairy/soy free for another couple weeks though so virus is cleared and you know if that ever was an issue!

True. Iron looks tend to be dark green, though. I think the op described something a bit more mucusy.

Op, did you see the pedi for a follow up? They can give more specific and confident advice that we did. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes I did, she reccomended a full elimination diet. I am 8 days into full elimination and his poops have gotten much better. I have lost another 15lbs too so that's definitely worth it! I'll probably do this diet for another month then slowly reintroduce foods to see what was causing it. But the pedi found blood in his stool so she agreed with doing the full elimination