March 2016 Moms

App-Ferrous Gluconate - iron supplements anyone ??

Has anyone been told to start taking these iron pills?
Worried about side effects.
Wondering if I should just start eating more iron instead or do as the doctor said and take these pills.......?

Re: App-Ferrous Gluconate - iron supplements anyone ??

• chanalle said:

Wondering if I should just start eating more iron instead or do as the doctor said and take these pills.......?

Seriously are you asking medical advice from a bunch of strangers on the Internet instead of following what your doctor said? If you would rather change your diet check with your doctor first. We don't know the reasons behind him prescribing these to you. Good luck.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • chanallechanalle member
    edited January 2016
    ***Removed for TOU violaiton***
  • Loading the player...
  • Also - of course I'll discuss with my doctor... But isn't this a group where pregnant woman can ask questions, get information from each other, and share each other's experiences / opinions?
  • And one more thing... I'm confident the doctor will tell me to take the pills. Doctors usually do lol..... I'm sure I can up iron in my diet and be fine....
    But what my concerns are is with the side effects. Stomach pains , sickness, consipation, dizziness -- all things I am already experiencing.... So I should have worded my initial question differently and simply asked had anyone felt any side effects. What was your experience with taking these pills ??? ... If I had responses saying they felt these negative side effects then I'd re think taking them and I'd speak to my doctor about it once he's back from vacation next week.
  • I'm not sure it's the same iron but I was put on iron after my glucose test and the only side effects I noticed (not to get too tmi here) was black/dark greenish poo. I do have pretty terrible heartburn and it did make it worse but once I was told I could take Zantec or prilosec everything was great. Everyone is different and can have different side effects but those are the only things I've noticed. Oh and if I don't eat right away I can taste the iron especially since I take 2 a day I try to take he second one right before I go to sleep so I don't have to feel like I've been sucking on a penny.
  • Okay thanks for your input ! :)
  • My doctor actually suggested adding more iron rich foods before going to a supplement. She said if possible it's always best to get nutrients from the food we eat. Of course everyone is different and your iron might be lower than mine. I haven't tried any supplements yet while pregnant but when I took them in high school, I gave me a bad upset stomach and had to take stool softeners. I can only imagine this side effect would get worse doing pregnancy. Good luck!
  • My doctor actually suggested adding more iron rich foods before going to a supplement. She said if possible it's always best to get nutrients from the food we eat. Of course everyone is different and your iron might be lower than mine.
    This. I was anemic during my first pregnancy and my midwife told me that I would have better luck at getting the iron I needed through food. You can google iron-rich foods to get a good idea of what to eat. :) I never ended up taking iron pills, but I did use Floradix toward the end of my pregnancy. It's a pretty nasty-tasting but very effective liquid iron supplement. My midwife recommended that over pills because your body can absorb it more easily. I never had any weird side effects from it (other than more heartburn, but everything gave me heartburn). Run it by your doctor if you don't want to take the pills. :)
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Awesome thanks so much! I've already added way more kale into my smoothies I drink daily for added iron and bought a lot of bottles of different juices that have a lot of iron. Will keep looking for iron riched foods - I always would rather go the natural way than over the counter pills... But of course I don't want to strip the baby from the iron it needs!! Thanks ladies!
  • I'm taking the same pill and I agree with the weird poo and heartburn.  It's really not that bad!  I just take it at night before I go to bed. 

• I just started taking these and have been constipated and had horrible heartburn. Personally I'm going to stop taking them and try to eat a lot of iron rich foods. I was barely borderline anemic and I would rather do that than take another medication to try to fix the side effects from the iron pill. I've had a meat aversion for most of this pregnancy, but I'm going to incorporate more red meat and do a green smoothie each day. The other benefit from getting it from food sources is usually those come along with other important nutrients that also aid in absorption. 
  • MelodyagsMelodyags member
    edited January 2016
    I have to take them because I've been bleeding since 11 weeks(32 now) and developed Anemia. I have to take 3x daily.The only side effects I've gotten is they do upset my stomache shortly after taking, urine very dark colored and poop green and have made constipation much worse. My doctor has me take Miralax with them for that. I've also been eating more red meat, green veg and nuts and seeds. They all have a lot of iron.
    I'd listen to your doctor. There can be serious health consequences on your babies health and yours with iron deficiency.
  • Im on an iron tablet doubled with some kind of vitC tablet which is supposed to help with the absorbtion and constipation. I was a bit constipated for a few days, but that seemed to be my only side effect. The one day it was quite bad a had a cup of coffee, and one the next day and that sorted me out. No probs since then
  • chanalle said:

chanalle said:

No need to be an asshole.
    I was wondering if anyone has had any of the side effects from taking the pills. thanks for your input though ;)

Lmao. Angry much?? You asked if you should change your diet or follow what your doctor said. It would seem you've slightly overreacted to my response. Nice TOU violation though :):)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • chanalle said:

Also - of course I'll discuss with my doctor... But isn't this a group where pregnant woman can ask questions, get information from each other, and share each other's experiences / opinions?

it is, yes. but it's not a place to be asking medical advice. which ia kind of what you're doing by asking if you should follow doctor's orders or just do your own thing.

if you're worried about the side effects, disguss that with your doctor. but i personally would follow what he/she suggested for you.
  • This is my second pregnancy that caused me to become anemic. Both times I was advised to take that supplement and followed that advice. I have a lot of food aversions, though, so, while I know my body would more easily absorb iron from food, I wasn't able to make the dietary changes I needed to.

The only side effect I noticed was constipation, but I took Colace now and then and was fine.

Also, Vitamin C helps your body absorb iron so try to take eat an orange or drink OJ when taking the supplement.
  • Do your doctors test for iron levels? FTM and I've only had my blood taken once for the triple screener... Is finding out your iron levels something that usually happens in pregnancy?
  • tJaffe said:
    Do your doctors test for iron levels? FTM and I've only had my blood taken once for the triple screener... Is finding out your iron levels something that usually happens in pregnancy?
    Have you done the glucose tolerance test yet?  They usually test it then too.  Third trimester is notorious for anemia issues. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• @tJaffee my ob with all my pregnancies has checked my iron at beginning and when had my 28 week glucose done.
    edited January 2016
    Lol I will for sure speak with the doc. He's on vacay and I simply thought of posting on here. I thought it was a good idea - I like speaking to other women who are pregnant about their experiences....I was asking about side effects people have experienced - and I was stating that I'm wondering about taking them or not. I didn't mean that everyone's replies alone would make my decision....

Apparently I should have stayed in the question that I will be speaking to me doctor as well..

Dont worry about me sweetie I will not go by what you guys say and ignore speaking to my doctor. I'll be fine okay? :)@kyraaD
  • Reported ?! Oh heavens no! ..... Lolllll... as I explained in my comment I should have Worded my initial question differently.... Sue me for my huge mistake lol... Take care :)@ecwk
  • No my doctor doesn't do the glucose test at all... I'll ask about this today at my appointment though.
  • tJaffe said:
    No my doctor doesn't do the glucose test at all... I'll ask about this today at my appointment though.
    You are lucky :) the only reason I'd be concerned and wondering about my iron levels is if I was overly tired and run-down, although that's hard to say with third trimester that being a normal thing.  Like if you can't function out of bed at all, talk to him.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Okay. I'm concerned about being super thirsty all the time despite drinking close to 200 ounces a day... I'm drinking 60 ounces a lone at night. It's on my list to ask about the glucose test even if he doesn't do it but previously he's said my water in take isn't an issue.
  • I'm not overly run down, but I'm a 1st grade teacher and nearly 7 months preggo so being exhausted is the norm! Lol
  • And angry ? Lol nah. I don't get angry much.. Just frustrating having someone talk down to you. Wouldn't u agree? Worry about yourself @ecwk as I can assure u I'm doing just great :) although with you reporting me I just don't know how I'll ever survive !
  • OP: should I take these tablets like my doctor suggested or should I change my diet?

Me: We don't know what's best for you. Ask your doctor.

OP: That's not what I asked! You're an asshole!

Me: Um wtf? That language isn't tolerated here.

OP: I'm frustrated because you talked down to me. Which isn't ironic at all seeing as how I said you were being an asshole.

Pregnancy Ticker
    edited January 2016
    Okay once again you're fully missing what my question was in the first place. So Just stop it lol. It's too much for you to register apparently.
    "Seriously you're asking strangers advice instead of doing what your doctor says?" You're comment insinuated that u think I'm an idiot.

If you felt the need to respond you most definitely could have responded in a nicer manner. But it's okay I am tough you didn't hurt me one bit haha. My response to you was u don't need to be an asshole.

my response to u is still - u don't need to be an asshole haha.

Do we need to go over this again and again like we are 5 years old? Honestly. Didn't you report me ? Shouldn't this thread be deleted by now? @ecwk
  • chanalle said:

Okay once again you're fully missing what my question was in the first place. So Just stop it lol. It's too much for you to register apparently.
    "Seriously you're asking strangers advice instead of doing what your doctor says?" You're comment insinuated that u think I'm an idiot.

If you felt the need to respond you most definitely could have responded in a nicer manner. But it's okay I am tough you didn't hurt me one bit haha. My response to you was u don't need to be an asshole.

my response to u is still - u don't need to be an asshole haha.

Do we need to go over this again and again like we are 5 years old? Honestly. Didn't you report me ? Shouldn't this thread be deleted by now? @ecwk

Nope, didn't miss anything. Your question (that I replied to) was whether you should follow your doctors orders or whether you should change your diet. I stand by my answer. Anytime someone seeks such advice (and note, at that stage you did not ask about side effects, you asked what you should do) from Internet strangers instead of their doctor then yes, I think it's idiotic.

It's fairly common knowledge here that things aren't sugar coated. I gave you a matter of fact answer and I'm repeatedly being called an asshole for it.

Threads don't get deleted, comments do. Your one was.

As for the five year old comment, it's a bit of an insult to five year olds to suggest they'd keep name calling as you have been.

Have a great day!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • chanalle said:

Dont worry about me sweetie I will not go by what you guys say and ignore speaking to my doctor. I'll be fine okay? :)@kyraaD

i honestly couldn't care less about what you do for your own health, but i do care about how your decision will impact your unborn child.

who even are you? you come on here & ask a question that we honesly cant really answer for you, then start name calling & being extremely condescending when people dont respond exactly how you want. is this how you act offline as well when things don't go your way? i sure hope not..
  • LOL

DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• March 2016 Moms: January Siggy Challenge "Pregnancy Problems"
    edited January 2016
    **Removed for TOU Violation**

edited January 2016
    What are you talking about ?! I asked for side effects people have experienced taking the pill!! All I wanted was answers from people talkin the pill!!??
    When things don't go my way? seriously what are you talking about? @kyraaD do you see the way other woman have responded to this post ?? That's what I was looking for. Experiences and opinions. Dear lord Jesus lol!
  • chanalle said:

this is what you asked. i dont see you asking about side effects. just that you're worried about them.
    edited January 2016
    Well aware of my question @kyraaD . Perhaps we have different ways of communicating and or perceiving things. Which is why I said up above that my thread was misunderstood. When I said "has anyone taken this pill, I'm worried about side effects" I was asking - did u have any side effects.... That's it. Plan and simple. And THEN when I said "wondering if I should just start eating more iron or do as the doc said and take them" I meant - with your responses of how the pills made u feel, I will then think about it, speak to my doctor and make my decision. After I was spoken to like an idiot, I even laid out the side effects I read which were constipation, stomach pains and upset stomach, dizziness, etc and explained that I am already experiencing these and I just wanted to see if other mothers on this pill had these symptoms start or increase while taking the pill! I could not have been more quick to further explain myself. I even stated right up front that my question should have been more detailed to eliminated being treated like an idiot. That's what's frustrating though - no one should be quick to respond like an asshole like that. Lol... Sorry I really don't know how else to put it. She was rude.
    Why I am getting so much flack for this is beyond me.
    Just leave it alone for the love of god lol! Happy Friday.
  • This thread has been closed to new posts due to the discussion’s shift to an unwelcoming tone. Creating threads in direct response to this one will be grounds for warning and/or removal from The Bump Community.

Please note that we remove posts that do not follow our guidelines and will issue warnings to users who violate the Terms of Use.

To review our Community guidelines, please visit the The Bump Guidelines pinned at the top of this board. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"