Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

FRER curved handle tests- the devil?

Hi all- I am new to this board though I was here back in 2012 when TTC #1. . A little about myself:  TTC #1 took about a year, after being diagnosed with luteal phase defect.  We started TTC our second in May and got pregnant in July, only for it to end in miscarriage at 9 weeks.  We have been trying again since Oct (this is cycle 3 and I am 10dpo).  Last cycle I thought I saw a super faint pink line on one of those new FRER curved tests (they are so stupid, why did they change them) but never got a positive wondfo and got AF on time. This cycle, I am 10dpo and same thing- I got a couple squinty pink lines on those FRERs but nothing on wondfo.  The super squinty pink lines show up at the 3-5 minute mark and then if I go back and look an hour later, theres nothing there. 

I looked at amazon and saw people had written some negative reviews about false positives. I thought FRER were supposed to be the gold standard here, but I am concerned about these new tests. I've seen some other stuff here and there about the new FRER being unreliable but wanted to get the most current general consensus from you ladies on whether or not these tests are still acceptable. Thank you! 

Re: FRER curved handle tests- the devil?

• Options
    I'm sure the search function will be able to tell you that.

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• Options
    DA682 said:
    Hi all- I am new to this board though I was here back in 2012 when TTC #1. . A little about myself:  TTC #1 took about a year, after being diagnosed with luteal phase defect.  We started TTC our second in May and got pregnant in July, only for it to end in miscarriage at 9 weeks.  We have been trying again since Oct (this is cycle 3 and I am 10dpo).  Last cycle I thought I saw a super faint pink line on one of those new FRER curved tests (they are so stupid, why did they change them) but never got a positive wondfo and got AF on time. This cycle, I am 10dpo and same thing- I got a couple squinty pink lines on those FRERs but nothing on wondfo.  The super squinty pink lines show up at the 3-5 minute mark and then if I go back and look an hour later, theres nothing there. 

I looked at amazon and saw people had written some negative reviews about false positives. I thought FRER were supposed to be the gold standard here, but I am concerned about these new tests. I've seen some other stuff here and there about the new FRER being unreliable but wanted to get the most current general consensus from you ladies on whether or not these tests are still acceptable. Thank you! 
    The design of the new curved handle FRER makes it easy to get an indent line or evap line rather quickly (even right after the time limit). I've had two tests do this to me a couple cycles ago. Its frustrating. I avoid FRER unless I'm testing positive on cheapies and want to confirm with them. Even then I might skip an FRER in favor of a digital.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks Primrosemama- I remember you from TTGP in 2012! An evap has to by definition show up after the time limit, right? So I don't know if these are evaps, but maybe they are indent lines. I'm hoping they'll go back to the normal stick design of FRER. These tests are hideous and unreliable.  Regardless I see absolutely nothing on Wondfo and I am an expert squinter who can hallucinate a line onto about anything. 
  • Options
    I'd just like to point out that it is not just the new FRER's. We dont have the curved handled ones here so it is the straight handled option. Last month I had exactly the same exprience and got squinty lines on 4 FRERs. Maybe they changed all of them because it was the first month I ever saw anything on them. In the end I ripped one open in a rage to see if there was an indent on the paper and there very clearly was. 

I cant say I have noticed this on any other type of test so why FRER is the odd one out I dont understand. For that reason I no longer trust them and will not use one again. 

Me: 32 Him: 29 Live : London, UK
    TTC #1 since October 2015
    IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    EDD: Oct 4th 2017
    TEAM: PINK!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    So sad- I remember the good ol' days when everything was confirmed with FRER- the be all end all! What do you all find most reliable now?

Also as an aside, if you do take apart an FRER and put it back together, an obvious pink line appears after the time limit. I think it has something to do with being exposed to air. And the indent is super easy to see when you flip the paper over. I don't know why. I'm embarassed I even know that, but I learned that last month. 
  • Options
    I use wondfo's and cheap supermarket tests now and I have a clearblue digital...although couldnt say yet how reliable they all are but they have been very reliable at telling me I'm not pregnant :(

IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I have had issues with the new curved ones but, not the flat old ones.

With that said- during my recent chemical Pregnancy I took several curved ones AND flat ones ans one thing I noticed is that the curved lines are much thicker than the old version.

Probably an UO here but I really really like the clearblue plus (non digital ) I know it's blue dye but my BFP was seen on that before FRER picked it up. And when I took it after I started bleeding it was stark white and stayed that way.
  • Options
    Also OP, if you had a bad experience with them call them. They gave me a full refund.
  • Options
    babymish said:

I use wondfo's and cheap supermarket tests now and I have a clearblue digital...although couldnt say yet how reliable they all are but they have been very reliable at telling me I'm not pregnant :(

Same here. I actually refuse to "waste money" on a FRER because of all of the negative things I've heard on this board. Although, the way I see it, every BFN is a waste of money regardless.
  • Options
    good to know!! They are so expensive- do they give a refund or just a coupon to buy more tests?

Its amazing how the tables have turned and now nobody likes FRER! 
  • Options
    Also wanted to add that I took a blue dye for fun last cycle around 8dpo and got very easy to see + lines that were not real (negative on wondfo/FRER and never had another + after that) so now I see why blue dyes are pointless. It was fun to pretend I was pregnant though...
  • Options
    I do know a close friend that got her legit BFP on the curved handle this morning-- she tested with a cheapy before hand, so I think it might depend on the batch/lot.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    DA682 said:

good to know!! They are so expensive- do they give a refund or just a coupon to buy more tests?

Its amazing how the tables have turned and now nobody likes FRER! 

They refunded me. They sent me a check.
  • Options

I got refunded a few months ago after I got false positives on them and had literally 0 HCG in my blood the same day. They asked me a bunch of questions about how I stored them, if it was too hot/cold, if I used them midstream or dip etc. At first I thought that they were just trying to tell me that it was my fault but not at all, they sent me a check. I just don't understand how they haven't gotten the message yet and pulled these off the market. It doesn't seem to be a small number of people who are complaining.

• Options
    yeah I see a ton of complaints on amazon.com and I'm sure tons of angry women are calling them too. I bet they'll switch back eventually. Its not like this curved handle adds anything. Is it that hard to hold a stick? Trying way too hard First Response! 

• Options
    Errg.. I have a bunch of these from when I first started trying, I wanted to use these up before I bought new ones.

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Options
    To be fair, I think a true BFP (ie not a squinter at 8dpo) will be obvious on the FRER. Its just that its easy to see indents/evaps that could be mistaken for squinty early BFPs. Probably best to keep using them but confirm using a cheapo test (or vice versa)
  • Options
    I wonder if there's anywhere I can see what one of these false positives on the new FRER looks like? Anyone?
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    anj27anj27 member
    edited January 2016
    @TheBorg7of9 I was curious too and found a bunch of photos on Amazon reviews. There are also many reviews reporting that they got negative results but confirmed pregnancy using other HPTs. It's starting to sound more like a magic 8 ball, spitting out completely random answers. 

https://www.amazon.com/First-Response-Result-Pregnancy-Packaging/product-reviews/B000052XHI/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_1?pageNumber=1&filterByStar=critical

ETA: 
    I still have a couple of the straight handled ones but I don't think I will be buying any more FRERs of any variety. It seems like they are just getting more and more gimmicky, under the pretense that these stupid changes are for the benefit of the users, when in fact all we want from HPTs is accuracy and reliability. They are sacrificing what is important in their effort to lure us into buying their product and toying with our emotions as a result. I don't need HPTs to hold my hand while I'm peeing on them or while waiting for the results. 
  • Options

I wonder if there's anywhere I can see what one of these false positives on the new FRER looks like? Anyone?

If I can find the pix of the time it happened to me I'll post it.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    @TheBorg7of9 : this is the one I got inside the time limit at 10DPO at the beginning of October.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options

Go click on the one star amazon reviews. There's pictures there.
  • Options
    ugh this sucks. I have a ton of these at home.
    My TTC History:
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)

My Charts since 2009

• Options

ugh this sucks. I have a ton of these at home.

If it makes you feel better I've seen legit +HPT on this brand. It's just testing early that is the issue I've seen. So if you can use cheapies up until 18DPO then you could save the FRER-CH for a confirmation with a digital to boot.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options

@TheBorg7of9 : this is the one I got inside the time limit at 10DPO at the beginning of October.

Oh yeah, I'd think it was a faint positive too.
    Good thing I only buy wondfos. ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Terrible
    My TTC History:

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    It feels very strange to be posting pee sticks here - but maybe it is worth everyone seeing what a false positive looks like? Im happy to stick mine on if you all are - I also have a pic of the indent from when I pulled one apart 

IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    babymishbabymish member
    edited January 2016
    Ok so turns out I couldnt relax having the photo's on here (im scared of admin) so if anyone wants them I'll PM them over.

IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I think in thus case the pic is appropriate. I really was wondering whether it was pink or grey. I hope the admins leave at least the picture primrosemana posted.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree about false positives being appropriate to post in the context of research.

I'll add that I used a straight FRER this morning and got a clear BFN with it, so they're not all bunk. (I'm 12 DPO but 2 days late due to short LP). I'm almost glad it wasn't positive because considering this discussion I'm not sure if I'd trust it.
  • Options
    Ok fair enough I'll stick my back on when I get home in a few hours, I do think it's a good idea for people to see them.

IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I think this is more of a public service announcement so I think it's ok! I have had such false hope the last 2 cycles with these stupid tests and it's the worst! Made me legitimately insane. I think I need to go back to my old ways of just waiting for my period.
  • Options
    These are a litte zoomed in but hopefully you can see it ok.

This one was 9 DPO taken within 5 mins

This one was 8 DPO taken within 5 mins
    This was taken immediately after taking one apart, the indent line was see through and pretty much shows how easy it is to mistake it for a line. Im pretty sure the tests I had before the ones last month didnt have an indent like that as I've never seen a hint of a line in the past.

IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @babymish no kidding...those are just awful! So sorry you had to go through that. I have a handful of the curved and flat handles and I'll never use them for early testing now.
    me . early 30's | h . mid 30's | < 3 . 2013

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    dx PCOS (non-IR) / subclinical hypothyroidism . summer 2016
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• Options
    PrimRoseMamaPrimRoseMama member
    edited January 2016

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    I am going to Wal-Mart when I get out of work tonight because I'm all out of tests. What's the new "gold standard"??? What should I buy instead?
    BabyGaga
  • Options

I am going to Wal-Mart when I get out of work tonight because I'm all out of tests. What's the new "gold standard"??? What should I buy instead?

I seriously buy cheap tests, confirm with digis. So, wondfos from Amazon or 88 cent equate tests from walmart. I am a testaholic, I probably pee on at least four sticks per cycle.
    BabyFruit Ticker