July 2016 Moms
Options

Meal Planning Sunday

2»

Re: Meal Planning Sunday

• Options
    This will either be going into the crockpot if I can sneak home for lunch or just a casserole dish and baking  for later but I'm doing chicken thighs, a can of cream of chicken soup, a can of chicken stock, mushrooms, carrots and diced up red potatoes for tonight's dinner.
  • Options
    said8mesaid8me member
    edited January 2016
    I usually meal plan on Friday nights so I can shop Saturday or Sunday, but this week nothing in my usual recipe arsenal sounded appetizing (and my hub and kid are so damn picky lately - no seafood or mushrooms and no pasta or potatoes).

I managed to make something new last night (cheesy sage gnocchis - kid ate a hot dog), but for the rest of the week I've got chicken cutlets/roasted veg/rice, pork loin/salad/rice, and tacos. Friday we can clean up leftovers, then I'm on the hook again for figuring out the weekend and following week.

This thread will help <3 

/end whining

Pregnancy Ticker
    Me: 34 / DH: 35
    Married: Halloween 2010
    DS: February 2014
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is our meal plan from last week. We celebrated new years eve, watched lots of football (read delicious tailgate food), and had company in town so I did lots of cooking! This week we are working our way through all the leftovers. I cook just about everything from scratch, so I'm happy to share any recipes. 

Monday- Leftovers from weekend.
    Tuesday- Turkey Burgers on English Muffins with roasted broccoli and sweet potato fries
    Wednesday- Ham and Bean soup (made from leftover Christmas ham bone) with homemade cornbread
    Thursday- Taquitos, Salsa, Guacamole, and Queso  
    Friday- Pork and Sauerkraut, zanny's black eyed pea dip, ham and swiss baked sliders, buffalo chicken wings, veggies for dipping.
    Saturday- Low country Boil with garlic bread. (whole crawfish, sausage, corn on the cob, shrimp, and red potatoes) 

I make few big "batch" breakfasts that carry us through the week. Paired with a piece of fruit it makes for quick and easy breakfast.  Last week was a farmers egg casserole (eggs, sausage, peppers, onions, cheese, and hash brown), cinnamon rolls, bacon, grits, and sausage links. The meat is for breakfast sandwiches or to be eaten with the grits. 
  • Options
    I made a delicious pescetarian jambalaya this weekend and threw all the extra in the freezer. I do a one pot deal here I brown vegetarian sausage and chorizo and then fill the pot with vegetable broth and spices and a box of brown minute rice. After it cooks for awhile I throw in a can of corn and some raw shrimp. It's really easy, doesn't require a lot of prep or cleanup, and makes a ton.

I just started eating a little bit of meat again after over 13 years as a pescetarian. I had stopped eating meat when I was 16, so I really never learned to cook anything with meat. It seems so daunting to me.
  • Options
    I've found that avocados are really helpful for the morning sickness! They don't really have a strong smell or taste, and they have lots of good stuff for the LO! loved this recipe.
    https://blog.mumberry.com/post/136621142160/pear-smoothie

• Options
    I wish I could meal plan. What sounds good on Sunday might make me want to vomit on Friday. I went to the store three weeks ago to buy stuff for fajitas. The next day Mexican food made me sick... & still does. :neutral: 
  • Options
    I've been looking into budgeting lately and read one "expert" advises to go grocery shopping once a month. Is this possible? How often do you guys grocery shop for meal planning? I'm going once a week now, but I'm open to suggestions to cut back.
  • Options
    I started one of those box meal plans, where they send you all the ingredients you need to cook a decent meal. I'm getting three meals a week. I'm trying blue apron, and hoping to try home chef soon. I'll let you all know how it goes!
  • Options
    jenkeale said:

I've been looking into budgeting lately and read one "expert" advises to go grocery shopping once a month. Is this possible? How often do you guys grocery shop for meal planning? I'm going once a week now, but I'm open to suggestions to cut back.

I shop weekly because DH gets paid weekly. If I could, I would shop monthly and buy bulk and then big produce,milk, etc if we run out. I also don't have a big freezer though. I feel like to only go once a month, you would have to freeze a lot and really plan. Maybe use some of the same ingredients multiple times to get the best bang for your buck.