August 2015 Moms

sleep training

Has anyone done any sleep training and actually had any success? When LO was younger I tried the babywise schedule and I just could not get him onboard, probably due to the reflux.

Ive read several books and all of them have different information, its hard to figure out what to do! I understand that there isn't a right way and every baby is different, but so far everything I've tried has not helped get him on a routine and help with the night wakings.

Re: sleep training

• I feel the same way. I've read so many conflicting ideas, and have tried many of them to no avail. I'm convinced I'll be telling people "my child was 120 months when he started sleeping through the night."
  • I actually ended up hiring a sleeping consultant and she gave a schedule that include naps and night feefings. So far my DS has managed to only sleep in my arms to only crying for five minute before going to sleep! And from waking every two hours to sleeping 6 hoyrs straight! We are actually on day 6 and have seen so much progress. There is still work but i can see a lotbof changes already. Before i tried once on my own and i didnt get any results. I only focus on the going to sleep and not the whole day rutine, that i think is a major difference. So my suggestion to anyone training is to make sure they have plenty of naps ( mine needs to have four naps according to the schedule) so they sleep longer at night. Hope this helps
  • Loading the player...
  • Hilengm said:
    I actually ended up hiring a sleeping consultant and she gave a schedule that include naps and night feefings. So far my DS has managed to only sleep in my arms to only crying for five minute before going to sleep! And from waking every two hours to sleeping 6 hoyrs straight! We are actually on day 6 and have seen so much progress. There is still work but i can see a lotbof changes already. Before i tried once on my own and i didnt get any results. I only focus on the going to sleep and not the whole day rutine, that i think is a major difference. So my suggestion to anyone training is to make sure they have plenty of naps ( mine needs to have four naps according to the schedule) so they sleep longer at night. Hope this helps

is this sleep consultant online or in your area? I found one in my area but it was pretty pricey for some one on one conversations.

• She works in the dc area, she has different services. Check out her site here https://www.mbfcommunity.com since she has some services for doing it over the phone
  • Hilengm said:
    She works in the dc area, she has different services. Check out her site here https://www.mbfcommunity.com since she has some services for doing it over the phone

Thanks! I'll look her up. Sleeping 6 hours in a row sounds heavenly!! I hope your progress continues!
  • TamarraLTamarraL member
    edited December 2015
    My dd is now 16 wks this week, I managed to train her to sleep in her cot by herself during the day mostly because I have to go back to work soon and she will be at daycare. It was a tough start but she got used to it by the 4th day or so. I put her in her cot with her paci and mobile on so she can relate to the music as sleep time and I always say goodnight or sleepy time. She only sleeps 3 hrs max during the day or at night and I'm so envious of other mom's cos I could do with a good night's rest. I just don't know how they get their LO to sleep through the night.
  • newATthiznewATthiz member
    edited December 2015
    I followed this book and LO is sleeping between 10 and 11 hours per night now! (He is 3 1/2 months) https://www.amazon.com/The-Baby-Sleep-Solution-Program/dp/0399532919
    Hope this helps!
  • TamarraL said:

My dd is now 16 wks this week, I managed to train her to sleep in her cot by herself during the day mostly because I have to go back to work soon and she will be at daycare. It was a tough start but she got used to it by the 4th day or so. I put her in her cot with her paci and mobile on so she can relate to the music as sleep time and I always say goodnight or sleepy time. She only sleeps 3 hrs max during the day or at night and I'm so envious of other mom's cos I could do with a good night's rest. I just don't know how they get their LO to sleep through the night.

It's just luck, unfortunately (the STTN thing). My first was terrible. I was a shell of a human being for her first 12-18 months because it felt like I was up all night every night and then she only had short naps in the daytime. Second baby sleeps 6-7 hours straight and usually goes back to sleep after a feed. Naps are hit and miss but I can't believe i could be so lucky to have a baby that sleeps well! Of course he has some unsettled nights.... And I'm waiting anxiously for a sleep regression to hit.... Trying to enjoy it while it lasts!
  • As far as CIO sleep training I have had success with my older kids but I wouldn't do it this early. I think the best thing to do right now it to make sure baby isn't over tired by getting in enough nap time during the day and making bedtime early.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Ever since we first brought DD home from the hospital, I have only let her sleep in the bassinet. That way she associates sleep with her bassinet. I always make sure she has plenty of naps during the day. She sleeps so much better at night when she's napped a lot during the day. At around 1 month old I would start putting her to bed while she was stil awake. I didn't do it everytime, but once or twice a week. It made it so much easier to sleep train. I used the cry it out method, and within 3 days she was trained. She sleeps 12 hours at night. If she wakes in the middle of the night, I leave her in there and she puts herself back to sleep. I also make sure to do the same routine ever night.
  • @itaylorharris, how long did you let your peanut cry for when you did the cio? My boy is 5 months and he is still up every 2-3 hours at night and it's killing me!
  • I'm curious about all of these things. I'm moving baby from bassinet to crib. The bassinet is inclined, more than i can safely incline the crib mattress. Little bubs without fail, everytime he's in the crib spits up all over himself. He NEVER does this in the bassinet. I can't just leave him there to soothe himself, he's all wet! So i have to get him up, sometimes just wipe him clean, other times i have to change him completely. How the heck do you stop the kid from spitting up in the crib? I should mention, he sleeps on his back or his side, he cannot roll from tummy to back yet, so I put him on his 1 side that he doesn't roll on, or on his back, close to the side of the crib so he can't roll to the right to get to his tummy. He loves to roll to his tummy, but gets so mad when he's stuck there.
  • How long are your little one's naps, and are the naps at the same exact time each day?

My LO is now sleeping through the night but the naps are all over the place.
  • Hilengm said:
    I actually ended up hiring a sleeping consultant and she gave a schedule that include naps and night feefings. So far my DS has managed to only sleep in my arms to only crying for five minute before going to sleep! And from waking every two hours to sleeping 6 hoyrs straight! We are actually on day 6 and have seen so much progress. There is still work but i can see a lotbof changes already. Before i tried once on my own and i didnt get any results. I only focus on the going to sleep and not the whole day rutine, that i think is a major difference. So my suggestion to anyone training is to make sure they have plenty of naps ( mine needs to have four naps according to the schedule) so they sleep longer at night. Hope this helps
    @Hilengm How long are your little one's naps, and are the naps at the same exact time each day? My LO is now sleeping through the night but the naps are all over the place.
  • We are trying to p.u./p.d. method. Only two days now but seems like it's going to work. Breaking the pacifier as well
  • moopee said:
    We are trying to p.u./p.d. method. Only two days now but seems like it's going to work. Breaking the pacifier as well
    That makes my LO so mad. He doesn't like the tease lol..
  • @ksimon23 The first night we started sleep training, I would go in every 5 minutes and soothe her without picking her up until she fell asleep. Then the second night I would go in every 10 minutes, then every 15 the next night. The key is to not pick them up when you go in to soothe them. I would talk in a soft voice, sing to her, or rub her back. When she was calm, I would leave again.
  • It actually worked for us! He only gets up once a night for a feed and that's it!! Thank god! Waking up 3 or 4 times a night was no good..
  • onaedonaed member
    edited February 2016
    Does your LO always nap at the same time or are you more concerned with just making sure your LO takes 4 naps for 1+hrs each?  My LO always gets tired after like 2hrs 15 min of activity, but his nap times vary significantly. Sometimes he naps for 25 minutes sometimes for 2 hours. He sleeps through the night for the most part, but his naps are all over (or he wants to be held for his naps-- as if he's catching up for not being held at night lol)
  • I started a sleep routine with my daughter when she was two months old (she is currently six months old). 
    I would get into a consistent habit of bath time at 630, read a book, nurse her, and pat her til she falls asleep. I'll rock her for maybe 5 minutes so I know she is completely asleep and then lay her in her crib. 
    If she ever started moving around at night or make soft cries to eat, I would feed her for maybe 3 minutes and let her suck on her pacifier to go back to sleep. By three months she was able to sleep 6-7 hours without any interruptions at night. By three and a half months, she could sleep 9-12 hours depending how tired she was. 

it took a lot of commitment to get into a routine and ensure baby got the routine down too. We did have some short comings along the way, but overall my daughter can sleep well at night and doesn't fuss to fall asleep like she used to as a newborn.