2nd Trimester
Options

Early gender scan... Worth the money?

Have any of you had an early ultrasound at around 16 weeks. I am going next week and I am a little nervous. I am hoping it is worth the money. Any thoughts?

Re: Early gender scan... Worth the money?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    meggyme said:

If you absolutely can't wait to find out at your anatomy scan, check with your on first. Ours offers elective ultrasounds for gender as early as 16 weeks after normal working hours. My husband and I are going tomorrow after my regular appt since he will be deployed during the anatomy scan. At least then it will be a medical professional doing the scan.

This.

My office does an elective one for $75 out of pocket. I would rather it be done by trained professionals than a funzie boutique place. We're also doing our elective 3D one at my OB office in February.
  • Options
    i mean.. i personally dont think it's worth it since you can find out for free at the 20 week a/s (as long as baby cooperates). however, at 16 weeks they should be able to accurately tell you the sex of your LO. i would confirm at your a/s though.
  • Options
    It's your money & time. If you want to get it done then go for it. I prefer to wait until my anatomy scans.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    We couldn't wait so we did one at 16 weeks in my OBs office. I probably wouldn't have gone to a boutique type place but lots of people do!
  • Options
    Mamigreen said:

Have any of you had an early ultrasound at around 16 weeks. I am going next week and I am a little nervous. I am hoping it is worth the money. Any thoughts?

I had a routine ultrasound at 17 weeks to check on a few things and the tech was nice enough to look at sex. It was difficult to see because of my LOs placement so we didn't get a clear answer. We got our very clear answer at 20 weeks during the A/S after they said he was healthy.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

Maybe it is the fact that we don't want to find out at all, but the idea of not being able to wait another month and paying out of pocket for some boutique place to find out a couple weeks early is just so far beyond my comprehension

We're finding out but the idea of paying extra to find out a few weeks early is also beyond my comprehension, its not just you. It's not like knowing a few weeks early is going to make the baby come any sooner or anything....
  • Options
    fourtsixand2fourtsixand2 member
    edited January 2016
    Not in my opinion.  Why not wait until your scheduled 20 week anatomy scan?  
    The wait is intense, but it's also fun to "wonder" a few more weeks.  Aside from that, there so many other things you could spend your money on than paying someone to tell you something your tech is already going to tell you 3 or 4 weeks later.
  • Options
    I'm an embarrassingly impatient person and totally went to a funtimes boutique place at 16 weeks. The experience was fun and the tech seemed competent but it only took me about 24 hours before I began to doubt the results. They ended up being right but it took the anatomy scan for me to feel confident that this LO is a girl so it wasn't really worth it the $50. I don't regret it because that would be a waste of energy but it would have been just as fun (probably even more fun) to wait another 4 weeks for the news.

• Options
    I equate going to get a scan done early to POAS before AF is late; percentages go up the longer you wait. If you go with a basic understanding of that, then why not? If they are wrong, will you be upset?
    We went early with our first, it ended up being right, but I kept wondering if the 20 wk AS would confirm it or be different
  • Options

I equate going to get a scan done early to POAS before AF is late; percentages go up the longer you wait. If you go with a basic understanding of that, then why not? If they are wrong, will you be upset?
    We went early with our first, it ended up being right, but I kept wondering if the 20 wk AS would confirm it or be different

I don't know if I would compare it to POAS before AF is late. I did that so I could know if I could have a glass of wine or two that night. Knowing if you're pregnant early can alter how you behave with real potential consequences for the baby. Knowing if they are male or female isn't going to affect them in any real way. It may cause you to purchase certain items or paint a room one color over another but it doesn't have a chance of affecting their long term health.
  • Options
    I equate going to get a scan done early to POAS before AF is late; percentages go up the longer you wait. If you go with a basic understanding of that, then why not? If they are wrong, will you be upset? We went early with our first, it ended up being right, but I kept wondering if the 20 wk AS would confirm it or be different
    I don't know if I would compare it to POAS before AF is late. I did that so I could know if I could have a glass of wine or two that night. Knowing if you're pregnant early can alter how you behave with real potential consequences for the baby. Knowing if they are male or female isn't going to affect them in any real way. It may cause you to purchase certain items or paint a room one color over another but it doesn't have a chance of affecting their long term health.
    I also POAS before AF was late. And I agree with you.
  • Options
    Not everyone drinks, some people POAS simply to know. Not necessarily to alter their behavior either way.
  • Options
    I also test before af was due. Most of the time it just made af come sooner but at least I knew. But as to the question asked. I am also debating on having a scan done before my anatomy one. Guess what they tell me at the docs office next week will decide for me. I wanna see the baby again so bad. See if it's still growing ahead of schedule.
  • Options

So you would pay out of pocket at 16 weeks at a boutique place, and also get one covered by insurance with an actual technician and your doctor at 20 weeks for your anatomy scan?  No, to me the elective scan would not be worth the money.  It's 4 weeks.  Patience is a virtue, and you're going to need it in spades once you have an actual baby.  Also, the sex of the baby doesn't actually matter at all.  Knowing or not knowing doesn't really change anything except decrease the names you consider by 50%.  I know it's exciting, but you can be just as excited at 20 weeks as 16.

• Options
    I think it depends on your reason why. If you're doing it just because you're impatient, I say wait.

We did it because my whole family was in from out of town and I wanted my mom and grandma to be there. And having them there was worth the money.
  • Options
    Not worth the money to me. I would rather spend it on something useful that the baby will actually need. Its only a few more weeks to wait, and the anticipation building up is half the fun!
  • Options
    I did have a scan at 16w because twins need monthly scans for growth. What I will say is that they weren't able to tell us for sure what we were having. They had a good idea and it was confirmed at the 20 week scan. Our babies both behaved though.

What I will say is that I was only able to enjoy and process the sex of the two babies because everything else looked really good. They were growing, structures were good and they were moving. I'm not sure if I would get a sex scan without having access to a good tech who could tell me about our baby's health. Not that I wouldn't get one, but if I did, I would want them to be able to answer questions about their health if there were any.
    Expecting Double Trouble, April 2016

• Options
    I couldn't imagine finding out early, having a big gender reveal only to have an u/s tech find something devestating at the anatomy scan. I never bothered with the sex for my last two anyway.
  • Options
    I have a lot of friends who's SO is military and was going to be deployed during the anatomy scan. They did early scans so both parents could be present to find out the sex. We thought about doing it at 16 weeks so family could come over the Christmas holiday, but decided against it. If something were to be wrong I would want to be told by a medical professional who could advise me on what to do.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have my own reasons for wanting this done and don't mind paying the money. My doctors office actually offers it. I just wanted opinions of expectant mothers. We have a son already but never had an early scan and that is why I am curious. We already love the baby just the same without knowing the gender, that won't change. Just wanted to do something FUN after all the testing that I have had already. (confirming that baby is healthy) if something was wrong I trust my doctor to tell me. I believe in God and have faith that everything is as it is supposed to be. Thanks for the input ladies! God Bless! <3
  • Options
    Mamigreen said:

I have my own reasons for wanting this done and don't mind paying the money. My doctors office actually offers it. I just wanted opinions of expectant mothers. We have a son already but never had an early scan and that is why I am curious. We already love the baby just the same without knowing the gender, that won't change. Just wanted to do something FUN after all the testing that I have had already. (confirming that baby is healthy) if something was wrong I trust my doctor to tell me. I believe in God and have faith that everything is as it is supposed to be. Thanks for the input ladies! God Bless! <3 </p>

Wait, you've had genetic testing? Then you don't need an elective scan for gender identification. Your doctor should already know.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I have my own reasons for wanting this done and don't mind paying the money. My doctors office actually offers it. I just wanted opinions of expectant mothers. We have a son already but never had an early scan and that is why I am curious. We already love the baby just the same without knowing the gender, that won't change. Just wanted to do something FUN after all the testing that I have had already. (confirming that baby is healthy) if something was wrong I trust my doctor to tell me. I believe in God and have faith that everything is as it is supposed to be. Thanks for the input ladies! God Bless! <3
    Wait, you've had genetic testing? Then you don't need an elective scan for gender identification. Your doctor should already know.

That's not necessarily true. I had genetic testing done at 12 weeks and gender was not included in the testing.
  • Options
    soxfan9968soxfan9968 member
    edited January 2016

Mamigreen said:

That's not necessarily true. I had genetic testing done at 12 weeks and gender was not included in the testing.
    ------qbf-----

I guess I'm just confused as to why genetic testing would check fetal dna for chromosomal abnormalities and not check for aneuploidy in the sex chromosomes, meaning they'd be checked and known as well.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • Options

------qbf----- I guess I'm just confused as to why genetic testing would check fetal dna for chromosomal abnormalities and not check for aneuploidy in the sex chromosomes, meaning they'd be checked and known as well.

For the test I did, it only focused on the abnormalities. They didn't even give the option of checking for the sex. So I suppose it would show up, but it was not something that was reported/checked on.
  • Options
    I think so! I did a 3D, paid 99.00 and it was accurate:)
  • Options
    @tgortney Yes, I was referring to an NIPT. I guess I never considered the NT scan genetic testing as well. Thanks for helping clear that up! :)

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I had an elective scan at 13w2d at a boutique while on vacation because we weren't sure if my H could make he A/S. We did not have a reveal or anything, we just wanted to find out for ourselves. It was our anniversary and I would have easily spent that $50 on wine had I not been pregnant.

I like how people always bash these places talking about how they are "untrained professionals". The woman who ran the place I went to performed ultrasounds in a clinical setting for over ten years prior to opening her shop. It was a nice setting and a much better experience than I ever anticipated.

I was way more excited for the anatomy scan, but that doesn't make me a bad person for doing a funsie scan.

It's your money, do what you want with it. :)
  • Options
    js8812 said:

I had an elective scan at 13w2d at a boutique while on vacation because we weren't sure if my H could make he A/S. We did not have a reveal or anything, we just wanted to find out for ourselves. It was our anniversary and I would have easily spent that $50 on wine had I not been pregnant.

I like how people always bash these places talking about how they are "untrained professionals". The woman who ran the place I went to performed ultrasounds in a clinical setting for over ten years prior to opening her shop. It was a nice setting and a much better experience than I ever anticipated.

I was way more excited for the anatomy scan, but that doesn't make me a bad person for doing a funsie scan.

The only reason I would say to go to your OB office is: just in case they DO find something wrong. It would be better to have a doctor on-hand to answer questions.

For example, I'm having an elective $99 out of pocket 3D ultrasound at my OB office in February (I really love my ultrasound tech), and even though it's a "funzie" ultrasound (DVDs and photos included). They went ahead and scheduled an appointment with a doctor afterwards. Just in case I had questions or anything (i.e. They saw something wrong and wanted to speak with me). If nothing is wrong or I don't have questions, then I don't have to go to the place holder doctors appointment. Not sure if most OB offices do that, but I thought it was a great considerate thing to do.

But you're right, it is her money and she can do what she wants. But she did ask if it was worth it.
  • Options
    js8812js8812 member
    edited January 2016
    tgortney said:

js8812 said:

The only reason I would say to go to your OB office is: just in case they DO find something wrong. It would be better to have a doctor on-hand to answer questions.

For example, I'm having an elective $99 out of pocket 3D ultrasound at my OB office in February (I really love my ultrasound tech), and even though it's a "funzie" ultrasound (DVDs and photos included). They went ahead and scheduled an appointment with a doctor afterwards. Just in case I had questions or anything (i.e. They saw something wrong and wanted to speak with me). If nothing is wrong or I don't have questions, then I don't have to go to the place holder doctors appointment. Not sure if most OB offices do that, but I thought it was a great considerate thing to do.

But you're right, it is her money and she can do what she wants. But she did ask if it was worth it.
    I suppose it varies from case to case. I had already had two ultrasounds, so if there was something noticeably wrong I may have known already. As far as more intricate examination at a scan (looking in detail at the heart, kidneys, brain, etc), they obviously don't do that at a boutique, so you would still be in the dark about any issues not easily detected.

I've received terminal news at an anatomy scan before, so I know the ultimate devastation an expectant parent can have. I would imagine if the boutique saw something wrong they would tell you to see your OB and wouldn't give you any medical opinion. In my previous case, even the doctors office couldn't give me a somewhat straight answer for two weeks.

Kind of off on a tangent, but if you have devastating news, it's not any less devastating where you hear the concern first-- to me anyway.

I found out we were having a boy 7 weeks earlier than we would have otherwise and I thought it was worth it for us. I've spent fifty bucks more foolishly before--- so have plenty of lottery ticket buyers ;)
  • Options
    My anatomy scan will be at 18 weeks which my dr was fine with since she was able to see me that day and couldn't at the 20 week mark.
    I agree if you can't wait talk to your dr's office first as they tend to be cheaper than boutique places and I would agree provably more accurate and could pass along any pertinent information if necessary to your dr.
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options

Mamigreen said:

------qbf-----

I guess I'm just confused as to why genetic testing would check fetal dna for chromosomal abnormalities and not check for aneuploidy in the sex chromosomes, meaning they'd be checked and known as well.

Sex is only determined if you do higher-level genetic testing like the Harmony blood test, which is usually only covered for high risk pregnancies or "advanced maternal age." Standard genetic testing at 12 weeks does not actually look at fetal chromosomes, so will not determine sex.
  • Options
    I did the Harmony test to test for Trisomy 21, 18 and 13. Sometimes an added bonus is you get to find out the sex through your blood work. However, they normally won't tell you this unless you are 35+ or a high risk pregnancy. My sister was considered "high risk" for bleeding and she found out at like 12 weeks what she was having. Most insurances won't cover an extra test at your office, mine didn't and my doctor's would not even give me the option even though I asked. 

It is definitely tough to wait especially when you want to know so bad but that's the way it goes. I wouldn't waste your money going to a boutique. Just wait the few weeks, it feels like it takes forever but it would be here before you know it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ok so .... putting myself out there.... I am a PA and own my own clinic and medical spa.... as well as "one of those for fun Xie places".... an ultrasound studio. We scan patients as early as 7 weeks for heartbeat detection and as late as 34ish weeks for 4d. One of my techs is a registered ultrasound tech and the other has been doing this for YEARS even with no certification.
    We live in a small rural town and most of the obs do an initial ultrasound like 7- 9 weeks. ... again around 12ish.... the 20 week. ... and then 35. That's usually the flow here.

There are no high risk docs here. .. no nicu.... nada... SMALL TOWN. We are the only place that offers these scans here and honestly.... have the best machine in the county. So sometimes mama's come just so they can see their baby.... or daddy couldn't go to visit and he wants to see.... there's lots of reasons. ...

Yes, there are times when we haven't been 100% on gender.... and in that case we have them come back for free until we are. Yes.... occasionally we find things that aren't just how they should be and I come up and talk to the patient and get their ob on the phone and send them straight over with our pics.... and yes.... ONCE.... we had a fetal demise.... my very own. So it does happen....

But it does bother me to see that there are many of u who totally disrespect non diagnostic places... who disrespect women who opt for a non diagnostic scan.... and while I get the skepticism... why we have to steal the joy from others....

Just throwing my thoughts out there