Baby Names
Options

Struggling with name for DD2

We have a DD named Lila and the boy name we have settled on is Silas but we cannot agree on a girl name and I think I'm overthinking it.

Before DD, Rory was one of our girl names because it's our mothers' names combined (rose and Lori) but I feel like it's a hard name to say especially for our DD who will be 2 when this baby is born.

Some other names we like are Olivia (which I can't settle on because of the popularity), Lydia (friend is about to have a baby with that name), Sophia and Amelia (again too popular).

Any thoughts on the names or other suggestions would be great!

Re: Struggling with name for DD2

• Options
    Georgia
    Penelope
    Isolde
    Clara
    Cecelia
    Michaela
    Cordelia
    Vivian
    Audrey
    Lenora
    Miranda
    Alice
    Natalia
    Diana
    Portia
    Arabella
    Gemma
    Ruby
    Camilla
    Fiona
    Minerva
    Marcela
    Athena
    Leona
    Sabrina
    Victoria
    Vanessa
    Claudia
    Regina
    Magnolia
    Marlena
  • Options
    Thanks @Bringmemylongswordho for the suggestions. I like Georgia but we live there so I think that's a no. I also like Penelope but can't get DH on board and Vivianne is a maybe.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love Rory, a coworker has a little girl named Rory and her little guy was a little over 2 when he was born. He called her Roar-eee, it was pretty adorable!

I suck at suggesting names but the ones on our name white board are but were rejected for various reasons between my husband or myself (but one of us or both loves them):
    Matilda
    Violet
    Clara
    Penelope
    Victoria

We're going with super popular Charlotte (we think) because we've loved it for years and while its popular in our area the percentage of babies named Charlotte is actually quite low - about 0.8%... compared with the nearly 6% of Jennifer's (my name) from my birth year. Despite a popular name there was only 1 other in my class growing up.
  • Options
    I'm loving Olive atm over Olivia which may help.
  • Options
    I actually think Rory/Rori is super cute for a girl. I'm sure your 2 year will catch on eventually, I can see the toughness in the name. It could also be a nn for Lorelai or Aurora possibly. I think it's cute though as a fn. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Rosalie
    Rosemund
    Rosalind

Eleanor
    Emma/Emily/Emmeline
    Evelyn
    Madilyn 

Audrey
    Aubrey

Lillian
    Lily
    Lyla
  • Options
    Rory is fine.
  • Options

I actually think Rory/Rori is super cute for a girl. I'm sure your 2 year will catch on eventually, I can see the toughness in the name. It could also be a nn for Lorelai or Aurora possibly. I think it's cute though as a fn. 

No. If you're going to give your daughter a masculine name, at least spell it correctly. Rori looks ridiculous.

Image result for bobs burger gifs

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadeaa27518d817eb3a350c501028155427jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload6bbb16d010206d10646648f568faa060jpg

• Options
    Ivy
    Violet
    Caroline
    Audrey
  • Options
    I'm in the Rory is straight masculine and dislike it for a given on a girl camp. Maybe as a nn for Aurora. As far as the other sinking saying it phase that's pretty standard with any little kid. My one son called Trent -tent forever and calls Giada Goda

• Options
    Rory is a boy name, not a fan.
    Love Lydia
  • Options
    Thanks for the input (although no feelings were spared) They made me realize what name I really liked and was willing to defend. Rory is a combination of mine and DH's mother's names (rose and Lori). It started as sort of a joke about how cheesy it is when people do that but sort of stuck. I think DD will eventually learn how to say it and I prefer it over the more popular names so it looks like that's what will go with! Thanks again.
  • Options
    I do like Rory.

I would actually rethink your boy name - Silas and Lila seem *really* similar to me - and maybe use Rory for a boy instead.
  • Options
    I've heard of Rory Kennedy, and she's a girl -- niece of President John F. Kennedy.  I think it's a cute name for a girl; doesn't sound masculine to me.
  • Options
    I love Rory/Rori.  I think it sounds more feminine to me but maybe that is just because I am a Gilmore Girls fan.
  • Options
    Go with Rory! However your daughter pronounces it until she can say it correctly will be a cute memory when the two girls are older. :)
  • Options
    milaura85 said:

I love Rory/Rori.  I think it sounds more feminine to me but maybe that is just because I am a Gilmore Girls fan.

Rory was a nn in Gilmore Girls, not her given name

Image result for bobs burger gifs

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadeaa27518d817eb3a350c501028155427jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload6bbb16d010206d10646648f568faa060jpg

• Options
    Rory is the anglicized form of Ruaidhri, which means "red king"

Gilmore Girls Rory was a nn for Lorelei. Rory also has over twice the usage for boys, with 741 boys being named Rory last year and ranking 416. With the increased popularity of Scottish names, it has been on the rise pretty much each year since 2007.