Breastfeeding

Plugged ducts from pumping

Does this happen to anyone else? I know baby empties you more than a pump, but every time I'm away and have to pump for the day, I get plugs. I only work per diem right now, but I worry about when I go back full time. If I'm home and pump once or twice a day it's not an issue as she nurses in between. It's usually after 2-3 exclusive pumping sessions. Suggestions?

Re: Plugged ducts from pumping

• Use warm compresses while you pump. Lansinoh makes gel ones that you heat up in the microwave. They're reasonably priced. Also, how long are you going between pumping sessions? I pump every 2 1/2 hours at work. That's more often then baby eats, but I haven't had clogs lately.
  • Good idea! I'd say 3 to 3 & 1/2 hours, definitely longer than if I was home. Unfortunately I won't have a choice when I go back full time, I'm a teacher so I have to pump on my prep block and lunch, so it'll be about 3 and a half hours then as well. I will try the compresses!
  • Loading the player...
  • Good idea! I'd say 3 to 3 & 1/2 hours, definitely longer than if I was home. Unfortunately I won't have a choice when I go back full time, I'm a teacher so I have to pump on my prep block and lunch, so it'll be about 3 and a half hours then as well. I will try the compresses!

Pumping as a teacher sucks. Reasonable accomodations don't include professions like teacher, nurse, etc. I have a thirty five minute lunch break--during this time I need to pee, sterilize myself and my space (with no sink in my classroom, sigh), set up my pump, pump, clean up, set up for next class. This means I get ten minutes to actually pump. Thank goodness I can get at least one good let down in that time. Plus all of the students constantly acting pissy about me not being available for lunch help. I finally just started saying I had a medical thing that I needed to take care Of...less annoying responses that way. Plus that one time the tspc ignored my do not disturb sign and let himself in.

Are you an elementary ed teacher? You may be able to work some magic with scheduling specials and getting coverage for you during them.

You also might want to look into massaging your breasts while pumping to get more milk extracted.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • valerie1132valerie1132 member
    edited January 2016
    37 minutes for me! And you're right, most of the time isn't actually spent pumping! And I'm bummed because that's the time I get during the day to talk to my colleagues, but not anymore! Eating lunch with my bad self! Oh well, at least I have a super cute baby to show for it. I'm a high school teacher and I won't have a para for the class after lunch either. And btw I hadn't even thought of the help during lunch thing :/

Do you pump in your classroom? My doors lock and I have sinks but I'm nervous! I figured I'll go to the nurse or faculty restroom.
  • Middle school teacher here!
    I have a 20 min lunch, but it's just before my prep. So I have just under 2 hrs to pump and get my next class ready.
    I put paper over the window in my door, turn the lights out, make sure the door is locked, and made a sign. I also informed the office that if they need me, they can email me during that time, only after I had a student borrow the key and walk in.

I have found that if I use my mini fridge and have spare bottles/storage I dot have nearly the prep&cleaning time each round.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• 37 minutes for me! And you're right, most of the time isn't actually spent pumping! And I'm bummed because that's the time I get during the day to talk to my colleagues, but not anymore! Eating lunch with my bad self! Oh well, at least I have a super cute baby to show for it. I'm a high school teacher and I won't have a para for the class after lunch either. And btw I hadn't even thought of the help during lunch thing :/

Do you pump in your classroom? My doors lock and I have sinks but I'm nervous! I figured I'll go to the nurse or faculty restroom.

People would get annoyed if I sat in the restroom pumping for 15 min, plus it's kind of gross. I'm not sure of it even has an outlet. I just pump in my classroom with a sign and the door locked. I put my desk in a corner flat against the door wall so I could at least have a split second warning. Of I had sinks in my room my pumping would be simplified because I wouldn't have to use paper towels to try to keep my hands sterilish while unlocking my door/etc. What's really bad is that my pump is not hands free so I miss out on eating!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • wintersongwintersong member
    edited January 2016
    Good call @Kate08Young -- Mini fridge is really a must for me. A cooler will keep the milk cold, but it's so easy to just refrigerate the parts to reuse later in the day.

Honestly, I bet your body will adjust to the new pumping schedule. After about two weeks my body adjusted to the new routine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been EP for 6 months and what I've found helps is to manually express what milk is left after I'm done pumping. I pump 18-20 oz twice a day, so 36-40 total. After I finish pumping, I am always able to express at least 2 more ounces. I've had a clogged duct twice and it's been after I had to cut pumping short both times. I wouldn't recommend my pumping routine to everyone but it works for me, but I would recommend manual expression after pumping.
  • If you keep getting clogged ducts, you might try taking Lecithin 3 times a day.  My LC recommended that for me when I kept getting them and nothing was helping.  I haven't had a clogged duct since, and now I only take it twice per day.  You can get them at any drugstore in the vitamin section.