Baby Names
Options

Odin

Hi! Just found out we are expecting #2 and have started the name game again. :o

DS1 is Ronan Eli, and I really like the name Odin, if this one's a boy.
But...Ronan is a name that is in the Marvel movies (Avengers), and Odin is one of the main character's father. I do NOT want a Marvel themed family, lol. I didn't even know that it was Marvel until DH mentioned it.
What are everyone's thoughts? Is Odin terrible? Did you all put the two names with Marvel?
Open to other names, as well! Other name that I like but won't use:
- Nolan (sounds too close to Ronan, IMO)
- Noel (too much chance of mispronunciation, I would love it as a middle though).

Thanks! :)

Re: Odin

• Options
    edited December 2015
    I'm not very creative with suggestions but I would say "no" on using Odin. The name Odin itself is nice and I definitely don't think there are many people out there who would make that Marvel connection but I think it sounds too matchy /rhymey with Ronan.
  • Options
    I mean, Ronan was in Guardians of the Galaxy, and Odin really only shows up in Thor movies, I'd assume a mythological connection over a Marvel connection.

I'd say Odin is, a big name, but not necessarily a bad name. With big brother Ronan it kinda feels a bit trying hard to be cool, cause Odin is Norse whereas Ronan is Irish, or people misspelling Ronin. So, there's a bit of a disconnect.

I like Noel though. People will learn if they mispronounce it at first.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm not very creative with suggestions but I would say "no" on using Odin. The name Odin I'm itself is nice and I definitely don't think there are many people out there who would make that Marvel connection but I think it sounds too matchy /rhymey with Ronan.

My thoughts exactly!!! I think they sound too matchy and you'll get a little tongue tied calling them both out together.

• Options
    Actually I love Odin but agree I get it twisted with Ronan much like Nolan as you said. Personaly I love Noel. I actually have a Nolan that sometimes gets called Noel (my oldest started it when he was 3 and it has stuck as a bit of a pet name) I can't imagine people not pronouncing Noel correctly.

Just some random throwing out if names

Ronan and Trent
    Ronan and aLden
    Ronan and Elliott
    Ronan and Eli
    Ronan and Tobias
    Ronan and archer
    Ronan and Dominic
    Ronan and Garrett
    Ronan and victor
    Ronan and Micah

• Options
    I wanted to add that as everyone else said, I also really love Noel. im a huge oasis so i like it for that reason as well haha. I think it would be really nice with Ronan
  • Options
    Ronan and Owen
  • Options
    I wouldn't have made the Marvel connection. And Odin is badass. DO IT.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Options
    Ronan and Olin? Rather than Odin?
  • Options
    I agree Odin is too much of a tongue twister. What about Gavin?
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I like Odin by itself but not in your case. The Marvel connection is one thing, but I think think Ronan and Odin sound too similar.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    I immediately thought marvel!
    I like Nolan
  • Options
    I immediately thought Norse mythology... then Thor, then Marvel. I also think it's too similar in sound to Ronan. You can do better.
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    Odin is a good name, but too matchy with Ronan.

If you want a name from mythology, maybe:

Troy
    Castor
    Finn
    Pollux
    Jason
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    "And these are my sons, Ronan and Odin."
    Would never know about the Marvel connection, but my mind might wander more toward Dr. Seuss. I think they are just too similar.
  • Options
    That's kind of what I was thinking...I love Odin, but it's really matchy!
    Love the suggestion of Nolan nn Noel.
    Thanks so much!!
  • Options
    Suggesting Nathan