July 2015 Moms

Biracial baby

So my son is biratial. I'm mostly white and hubby is mostly Hispanic, I was filling out paperwork for baby and the ethnicity question had me stumped. I decided to just check "other" but I'm curious how other mamas would handle this. What about situations where "other" isn't an option?

Re: Biracial baby

• I think he would be Hispanic... I have no idea though. Good luck.
  • I'm biracial myself, half black and half white. I've always identified as other on those forms. It's cool because now there is usually an option that says "one or more races" and I just check that.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm half Filipino and half white. If I am forced to choose on a form, I choose the Pacific islander/Asian box - mostly because visually I am obviously mixed and most of the time people will ask "what I am" (rude btw). If I looked more white I would probably choose that.
  • My baby is half black and half white, we check other on forms. But at the peds office under ethnicity they put Black automatically, it seemed to me to harken back to the "one drop" rule. I told them to change it to Mixed. He's as light as I am so I don't think people would assume he's half black until they meet my husband. If I had to choose one race and I'm the one filling out the form I'd probably pick white cause I think he looks more white. If my husband were the one filling out the form he'd probably pick black because it's his son.
  • I put other. I am filipino, japanese and portugese and my husband is Cherokee, irish and english. So our daughter is mixed. Usually there is a box that says 2 or more races. Or non Hispanic and Hispanic or check all that apply. So it just depends on the form :)
  • My sister has biracial children and there always just to be assumed to identify as black unless there is a biracial box. My other sister her children are white and Indian but look white. My brothers son is Mexican and white. My LO is white. We have a real American modern family lol I just hate the whole idea of having to identify your race. I hate the idea of the other box like your not a human being.
  • Lurker here but I have the exact same issue and have been searching for discussions on the topic.  My husband is very dark (West African) and I am very white (European mix) and our hospital put my son as white on his paperwork.  Made me chuckle since he is already really tan so I have asked they to either put him as other or both white and black.  If other isn't an option I think I will just not check a box in the future, but interested to see what other people have to say!
  • We used other just because there wasn't another option to describe black and white. Uugh
  • My hospital also put my son as white, I think the question is dated and irrelevant.
  • I've been checking "other" I am Hispanic and DH is Black, I have heard that the child is what the father is. Idk if that's true.