Breastfeeding
Options

Breast Reduction

I had a breast reduction in July of this year. I became pg a month later. I never lost feeling in my nipples and have minimal feeling where the incisions are which are really just the outlines of my breasts. I BF with my daughter and actually ended up having a ridiculous amount of milk supply until my thyroid issues took my milk completely after 4 months. My question is has anyone gone through a breast reduction (and didn't lose feeling which is what I'm told is my saving grace) and BF successfully and exclusively? I've asked the doctor that did the surgery and he said "yeah, sure, you should be able to (?!)" while my OB says "hmm we want to make sure the baby will get the right amount of nourishment." So not a lot of help there. I have read some articles on this subject but no one is very specific with their healing and/or procedure for me to gauge where I may be at with breast feeding once LO gets here. Any insight would be great!
Been married since 2009.
Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
Several MCs
DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

Re: Breast Reduction

• Options
    I don't have personal experience but a woman in my mom's group had a reduction. She was facing supply problems early on and had to supplement with formula. She's been working with our LC and I'm not sure how much she supplements now (he's 6 weeks old I think, and I know she supplements less than she did at first). Her baby is doing really well and is putting on weight!
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply!
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's a case by case basis. If you want to BF then do try because you may be able to without much trouble. I would try to find a LC while pregnant so you have someone you are comfortable with when the day comes. Hopefully it works for you but don't be upset if it doesn't. You need a strong healthy back more than the baby needs breastmilk.
  • Options
    Copernicus08Copernicus08 member
    edited November 2015
    I am right there with you. I had a reduction in May 2001 when I was a junior in college and at the time I thought, "BFing? Pssh. I don't care." Of course that changed when I found out I was pregnant with my son in 2010. I was able to produce colostrum and some milk with him, but as an anxious new mom, I got scared and gave in to formula when he had jaundice. Looking back, I feel that while the supplementing may have been necessary, I could have done more to advocate for my desire to BF and get more support in doing so.

This time, I am fully planning on doing whatever it takes to exclusively BF. For me, that might include supplementing with an SNS at the breast. Have you read Diane West's book, Defining Your Own Success: Breastfeeding After Breast Reduction Surgery? I found that to be extremely helpful, along with the site/message board bfar.org

I'd be happy to keep in touch ... Breast feeding after reduction surgery is an n=1 experiment, so you really won't know what you're capable of until you try. Now 14w3d pregnant with baby #2, I can tell you that I can already hand express colostrum from my left breast, which is super encouraging. I've read that subsequent pregnancies often result in more and more milk production each time. Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Copernicus08 thank you so much for your encouragement! I'm definitely going to check out the website and the book. I produced too much milk with DD before I lost it so I'm hoping maybe this time I'll produce enough. I just remember BF DD and the amazing bond it created between us. It's just extremely rewarding all around for both of us. DH actually got jealous and started doing skin to skin bc he felt left out haha. I thought I saw some colostrum coming out last night in the shower but it was so little I'm not sure if I was just hoping too much. I'm hoping since I never lost feeling in my nipples or breasts that that will be in my favor. I guess the fact that when LO gets here it still won't even be a year since my surgery has me so worried. I'm still healing and the scars are still very fresh. I've already gone up a cup size!
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Options
    Bump.  I have this same question, except I am a FTM.  I am trying to be realistic and not get my hopes up but I'd really love to be able to exclusively breastfeed.  Any new comments on this topic?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @denny+lee nope but the website and book that were recommended on here have been amazing resources.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs