3rd Trimester
Options

Why aren't I being induced??

haybug7haybug7 member
edited December 2015 in 3rd Trimester
Would like to add here at the beginning, I'm not wanting to get induced NOW. I know 35 weeks is no where near safe. I wasn't after people telling me to suck it up or that I'm a terrible person. I know a lot of people who got induced at 37 weeks due to their babies size and didn't know why my doctor would rather me have a c section. I am scared, I want to have my baby natural. I was after people's experiences with c sections or polyhydramnios not to be made to feel like I'm just being whiny and need to just deal. I thought I could find support here but obviously not, thanks to the one or two people who actually helped. Peace

Ok so here's the deal. I am a fairly small girl (5'4", 119lb before pregnancy). Today I had my 35 week appt. at 33 weeks I was diagnosed with polyhydramnios (excess amniotic fluid) and baby weighed 5lb 4oz which he said isn't too bad. 2 weeks later there is considerably more fluid which makes things riskier plus he is now measuring at 7lb 8oz. He told me straight up I might need a c section because of his size and that he didn't expect him to grow so fast. I can barely breathe, I can only eat very small amounts of food without getting nauseous, and the pressure on my lady parts is killer. When i asked about induction he said probably at 39 weeks?! By that time he'll be much bigger and so much fluid! I don't understand why he is waiting so long. Also this isn't the doctor that will be delivering me but they do work in conjunction, and he has me switching over to the delivery doctor next week without telling me. Could he be planning on it and just keeping me in the dark? I know he isn't full term for a while but considering the circumstances it seems so dangerous to wait.

Edit: at this visit he added to my diagnoses: "excessive fetal growth affecting management of mother" and "LGA (large for gestational age) fetus"

Re: Why aren't I being induced??

• Options
    You arent being induced because the baby isn't ready. Weight estimates can be off by a lb. I also have excessive amniotic fluid but as long as you pass required testing, you'll be fine. It's uncomfortable but is what it is.
  • Options
    They haven't done any tests except 2 ultrasounds. He doesn't tell me what's going on or anything unless I ask and it makes me really uncomfortable. Like how he switched me to the other doctor without telling me. If I wanna know something I have to ask and I don't know what I should be asking
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would go to another doctor and get a second opinion
  • Options
    39 weeks is standard for induction unless an earlier induction is medically necessary such as placenta failure or etc. Ultrasounds are notorious for being wrong the further you are in your pregnancy. I don't know any OB that would deliver you at 35 weeks just because they thought you had a larger baby. Unless your baby is measuring bigger than the hospital's cut off (9lbs or larger where I live and your delivery is an automatic C-section) then you should have a vaginal delivery. However they need to be doing an ultrasound and measuring your belly to really have a good idea as to how big your baby is.
    To me, it sounds like the ultrasound is off because that's a lot just for a baby to pack on in 2 weeks. They can be off by up to 2lbs.
    Also I have excess amniotic fluid. There are a few risks, such as your water breaking earlier, but my OB and MFM won't even admit patients with excess amniotic fluid unless their water has broken.
    I'm a type 1 diabetic and my baby is measuring right on track with both ultrasound and belly measurements. It could be way different just next week when I go to the OB.
    Everything else sounds normal to me. This is the end of pregnancy and most women tend to be miserable.
  • Options
    haybug7 said:

Ok so here's the deal. I am a fairly small girl (5'4", 119lb before pregnancy). Today I had my 35 week appt. at 33 weeks I was diagnosed with polyhydramnios (excess amniotic fluid) and baby weighed 5lb 4oz which he said isn't too bad. 2 weeks later there is considerably more fluid which makes things riskier plus he is now measuring at 7lb 8oz. He told me straight up I might need a c section because of his size and that he didn't expect him to grow so fast. I can barely breathe, I can only eat very small amounts of food without getting nauseous, and the pressure on my lady parts is killer. When i asked about induction he said probably at 39 weeks?! By that time he'll be much bigger and so much fluid! I don't understand why he is waiting so long. Also this isn't the doctor that will be delivering me but they do work in conjunction, and he has me switching over to the delivery doctor next week without telling me. Could he be planning on it and just keeping me in the dark? I know he isn't full term for a while but considering the circumstances it seems so dangerous to wait.

Edit: at this visit he added to my diagnoses: "excessive fetal growth affecting management of mother" and "LGA (large for gestational age) fetus"

I agree with all of the PPs.
    I also wanted to add as someone who had to have an unplanned csection st 35w 4d due to complications, you do not want to he induced right now. We had complications early on and I received steroid injections and a magnesium drip to help with my twins development. Even with these precautions, our daughter was in the nicu 2 weeks and our son was there for 2 1/12 weeks. It was horrible. We were very blessed they got out so early and do not have any major issues, but others at 35 weeks there were not as lucky.

If you don't trust your doctor, request an appointment with someone else in his practice or somewhere else. But it sounds to me like you're being monitored and just experiencing regular, late pregnancy symptoms.
  • Options
    @haybug7 nobody said any of that so...

• Options
    Man... No wonder you are being so sensitive- because deep down you know you are overreacting to this situation- I'm shorter than you, by 2 inches, and my baby was a pound bigger estimate at my 34.4 week scan.... Having a big baby is not a health issue- I'm sorry you are uncomfortable, but so are we all...
  • Options
    groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited December 2015
    You don't want an induction. Please trust me as somebody who just had one.

Also your body size is not a determining factor. Its the size of your pelvis/birth canal. I come from a VERY tiny family. My aunt was 4"11 and 70 lbs. She delivered 5 kids; one set of twins and one 9 pounder. I on the other hand, with a pp weight of 95 lbs and 5"3 (bigger than her by a wide margin) had a huge amount of trouble delivering my 5 pounder. I was induced because we had both stopped growing and my fluid was low. And as it was, i tore.

And it hurt like hell.

Avoid it if you can.
  • Options

Also your body size is not a determining factor. Its the size of your pelvis/birth canal. I come from a VERY tiny family. My aunt was 4"11 and 70 lbs. She delivered 5 kids; one set of twins and one 9 pounder. I on the other hand, with a pp weight of 95 lbs and 5"3 (bigger than her by a wide margin) had a huge amount of trouble delivering my 5 pounder. I was induced because we had both stopped growing and my fluid was low. And as it was, i tore.

And it hurt like hell.

Avoid it if you can.

Um, sorry but not all inductions are the same for everyone. You are trying to make an umbrella statement that is just not true. I'm sorry your induction didn't go how it should have, but that's not everyones experience.

I was induced at 39 weeks with low amniotic fluid and my induction was picture perfect. Everything was smooth and there were no issues.
  • Options
    cg0112358cg0112358 member
    edited December 2015
    I would think you're not being induced because the doctor believes it will be healthier for your child to go to full term (39 weeks if you're in the US). Your baby's health and well being are more important than your choice of delivery. Inducing early just because you want to deliver vaginally is selfish. That being said, u/s measurements are often wrong, sometimes by a large margin. Also, body size has little to do with ability to deliver. I'm under 5 ft, 125 lbs pp (when I was younger before BC made me gain weight I was under 100 and a size 00). I delivered DD2 vaginally, she was 8#1. A friends daughter who is 5'8 and around 150 had her child via c/s, the baby was under 8 lbs. Your doctor will do what is best for your child and yourself, it just may not be what you want. Don't be scared into a c/s just b/c of size, though. I had a friend who was told her son was well over 8 lbs at 36 weeks and would be too big to deliver vaginally. She had a c/s at 39 weeks, he was 8 lbs 0.3 oz.
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • Options
    My baby is expected to be close to 10 pounds but they will not induce or perform a c-section for size alone more than a week early.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

And it hurt like hell.

Avoid it if you can.

Um, sorry but not all inductions are the same for everyone. You are trying to make an umbrella statement that is just not true. I'm sorry your induction didn't go how it should have, but that's not everyones experience.

I was induced at 39 weeks with low amniotic fluid and my induction was picture perfect. Everything was smooth and there were no issues.
    Fair. But there ARE increased risks with induction. So even if it's destined to be a perfect experience, unless your doc insists on one, it's best to wait for nature to take its course. 

Op if you do get induced for whatever reason your doc deems best, I hope it goes better than mine did. I continue to have nightmares about it.