December 2015 Moms
Options

Awkward Family Moments

D15 is a little dead these days. Any awkward Christmas moments to share?

Here's mine: DH's grandma's funeral is planned for Dec 30. Her obituary is written. Only problem: she isn't dead yet. Nothing like giving your loved ones an expiration date. :o

Re: Awkward Family Moments

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mrsdecember15 Wait...WHAT!? I think I need more details!? :o
  • Options

She's in a nursing home and like 93. They gave her 2-7 days to live. They aren't feeding her because she has a DNR (which I think is insane and inhumane). She's on morphine to keep her comfortable. But why plan a funeral for someone who isn't dead yet?!
  • Options

She's in a nursing home and like 93. They gave her 2-7 days to live. They aren't feeding her because she has a DNR (which I think is insane and inhumane). She's on morphine to keep her comfortable. But why plan a funeral for someone who isn't dead yet?!
    I'm sorry but I think this is so strange and wrong. Poor woman.

Married - 10/10/2009

DS - Due 11/3/2012 born 9/28/2012 due to Severe Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome

DD - EDD 12/30/15

"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Chart[/url|| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</

• Options
    Woah, I have never heard of such a thing! Ahh, not sure what to say except I hope everything resolves with some peace for Grandma and the whole family... :|
  • Options

I'm sorry but I think this is so strange and wrong. Poor woman.
    Agreed! She's unable to eat solids because she's lost her gag reflex and chokes. I don't see how a feeding tube would go against a DNR. Food is just a basic need!
  • Options
    Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited December 2015
    My grandfather fell and had a very severe brain injury. Once it was diagnosed as terminal the physician was under legal obligation to remove all tubes, as his written wishes were DNR-CC and he specified no tubes or life support of any kind. When someone is suffering its more humane to let them go. It's the worst thing to watch someone suffer long-term because the loved ones cannot let go, which is understandably hard.
  • Options
    mhuber223 said:

DH's grandparents got us this little crystal Christmas tree as a present last year and got us two more this year, so now we have three. His grandma wrote notes on the boxes about building a little forest. One said, "Threesomes are great in a forest! "

Heh, this is amazing.
  • Options
    My grandma is suffering from severe dementia. Last Christmas, she kept telling my brother she knew the woman he brought with (his wife of 8 years) wasn't his wife but another woman and she was upset and surprised by his actions. She yelled at the rest of us for allowing him to bring another woman to Christmas and cheat on his wife in front of us and their kids.

This year, she didn't recognize most of us completely but knew she should know us. My SIL had another baby and my grandma kept asking where she got it from. Then, she'd see our twins and get really confused and kept asking where we found them and where they came from. My poor DH tried to explain things to her, but he just made it worse. And my 6 year old nephew tried telling her the babies came from our bellies and he couldn't get why an "adult" didn't know where babies came from. (He also layer informed us that the babies are not people yet as they do not walk. To him, they are not to be counted as family members until they walk on their own.)
  • Options
    @suchaglencoco we went through some similar things with my uncle who has alzheimer's. He knows we're family and that he should know everyone but doesn't remember us. He kept asking where the baby came from and we'd try to explain the relationship. One of my cousin's will go as far as telling him the babies are mine and build back to my mother is his wife's sister. It's way too much so I smile and tell him they're mine and he seems confused but it's enough. He also gets anxious if he can't find my aunt and will wander around looking for her. Mostly there were plenty of sweets though so he ate and was happy.
  • Options
    mhuber223 said:
    DH's grandparents got us this little crystal Christmas tree as a present last year and got us two more this year, so now we have three. His grandma wrote notes on the boxes about building a little forest. One said, "Threesomes are great in a forest! "
    I like his grandma.
  • Options
    @Mizuiro007, you feel so bad because they're so confused and frustrated but sometimes, you just can't help but laugh.
  • Options
    @suchaglencoco Yes. I see him get so upset sometimes just even trying to think of a word. I starting telling him "it's ok, words are hard". He smiles but I can tell he's still frustrated. I find it more sad with him that his is early onset. He's still in his 60s.