August 2016 Moms
Options

Telling the family?!

tiannacox95tiannacox95 member
edited December 2015 in August 2016 Moms
When do you bumpies think its a good time to tell the family? Im 8 and a half weeks and want to spill to everyone!

Re: Telling the family?!

• Options
    I am going to wait until the first ultrasound, just to confirm all is well. That will be at about 8 weeks for me. It's hard to not just tell people right away!
    Me: 32
    DH: 40
    Married: 2 years

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm half a week behind you and completely understand. We told our immediate family right away along with a select few friends. I was contemplating sharing the news as long as a first ultrasound goes well on Monday. Now I am thinking of waiting longer, maybe at least until week 15. MIL has been pressuring us to let her tell people and I'm kinda enjoying not dealing with outside comments :)
  • Options
    I told my mother as soon as I found out but we are surprising DH's parents for Xmas even though it's early. They didn't even know we were TTC so it'll be a big surprise to them for sure. I've told a few close friends and I have to tell ppl at work because there's certain patients I won't be able to take care of being pregnant. DH is super weird about telling anyone else within our group of friends. He got mad at me last night because I was at dinner with some of our friends and well three of us are pregnant so how do i hide it? When my friend asked I said yes I am pregnant but it's still early. He congratulated DH and when I got home he was in such a mood. I'm excited to tell our friends but DH dampers the mood each time. I know he's worried and I am too but I wish he would share of the excitement with letting ppl know. Anyways rant over, but do you any of you have this issue?
    Expecting baby #1 August 2016 
    Already have three furbabies- Blake, Sydney, and Chester 

• Options
    With our first pregnancy, we ended up telling a fairly large group of family and friends bc we were on vacation and they pressured it out of us. We ended up having a loss and untelling them all was unbearable. It was nice however having those closest to us to lean on in our grief. This time around we are telling only our immediate families on Christmas (I will be 5.5w). We want them to help keep the secret this time and also be there for us no matter what happens.
    Me: 28 - DH: 33
    Married: Sept. 2012
    Began TTC #1: Jan. 2015
    BFP #1: July 2015, EDD 3/7/2016, Blighted Ovum, D&C at 12 weeks
    BFP #2: December 2015, EDD 8/27/2016, Blighted Ovum, D&C at 7 weeks
    BFP #3: August 2016, EDD 4/23/2017, Missed MC, D&C at 8 weeks
    BFP #4: January 2017, EDD 9/26/2017
  • Options
    DH and I talked about this last night.  We will be waiting at least until after the first US at 8.5 weeks.  We may wait until that weekend (9 weeks) or we may wait longer depending on how we feel about it at the time.  We know once they know it won't be a secret to anyone since both are moms gab...  So far the only other person that knows is my best friend and we'll keep it that way until we tell our parents and go from there.
    Me: 26 & DH: 25
    Married: August 2014
    TTC since November 2015
    BFP #1 12/17/15 - MC 1/28/16
    BFP #2 4/22/16 - EDD 12/30/16
  • Options
    It's so hard! I really could scream it from the roof tops, but there are some in laws I'm not super close with and wouldn't really want to know if I miscarried. Because of that we can't tell other family members that we would like to because we know they would talk about it. So we are only telling one set of grandparents at Christmas, and I'm thinking we'll tell the rest of the family at 10 weeks. My mom is out of state so I'm trying to get her to come visit me so I can tell her in person.

Pregnancy20ticker

• Options
    I'm half a week behind you and completely understand. We told our immediate family right away along with a select few friends. I was contemplating sharing the news as long as a first ultrasound goes well on Monday. Now I am thinking of waiting longer, maybe at least until week 15. MIL has been pressuring us to let her tell people and I'm kinda enjoying not dealing with outside comments :)
    This very reason is why I don't want to do any facebook announcement or anything like that... I'm dreading all of the "helpful" comments.
    Me: 26 & DH: 25
    Married: August 2014
    TTC since November 2015
    BFP #1 12/17/15 - MC 1/28/16
    BFP #2 4/22/16 - EDD 12/30/16
  • Options
    I would as soon as I want but in the past, I told people at 8-10 weeks... This time I'm waiting til 9 weeks US because I'm
    In disbelief about my 4th!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    For me never. Lol my parents and DHs parents are going to be pissed. I just had a baby a few months ago. And from what I think they both have the same due date.
  • Options
    I have my first appointment with u/s today (at 7w1d) and so long as everything goes well, we'll be sharing the big news on Christmas! My DH and I already told our moms because we wanted them to know before the rest of the family. We told them when I was just under 6 weeks.
    Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
    BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
    BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
    BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • Options
    First ultrasound is going to be at 9w2d so I'm waiting until after I know everything is ok before I tell everyone. We have told our moms and a few close friends but that's it. Christmas is going to be hard not to tell everyone but I'm only going to be 5w6d and it's just too soon especially since we had a loss at 7w last time. I just want to make sure things are going well. My aunts and an uncle know about my loss but I didn't tell the whole family, just too much for me.

• Options
    Telling on Christmas thank God! I'm dying of morning sickness and we're living with my parents while we Reno our new house! I'm 7 w today with dd1 I had this due date as well and we told on Christmas so well it this way again. No idea how well tell them and it's only two days away. I'm just attempting to not puke and get the rest of our gifts wrapped.

Married 5/2/09 To my best friend 
    Lillianna Faith Born 8/26/10- My big girl kindergartner!
    Peach- MC 3/2012
    Logan Christopher Born 2/3/13- My little fighter, cardiac defects, 2 cancer scares and more surgery, tests, MRIs, cat scans, xrays than most people would have to face their whole life.   

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'll probably tell around Valentine's day... I'll be 13 weeks then.
  • Options
    This is our first baby. I am 7 weeks along. Crazy preg symptoms! Trying to make it through. We told our parents and siblings right away and I told my best friend. We decided to tell Grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins at Christmas. We figure what ever God's plan for our baby is we want our family support either way. We are deff holding off on sharing with social media and friends for a while yet. Maybe second trimester (February sometime) It's kind of unsettling to here of so many losses. I'm sorry for you ladies who have been through that.
  • Options
    meredithhomanmeredithhoman member
    edited December 2015
    We are telling our family on Christmas as well, we've done it up with little mini converse - thank you Pinterest with a little note from our baby-to-be:

Most of our friends found out, because I'm like a serious wine drinker and when I went for "beer" (near beer of course) on my birthday, my girls were like:    :|   Tell US NOW!
  • Options
    I told my mom at 4 weeks because it fell on her birthday. She has kept it a secret for us and we will be telling the rest of my immediate family at 5w1d on Christmas "morning" (we wont get to my mom's until noon) and will have an extra stocking that says "Baby Bubblegum" that when my sister hands them out will see the extra stocking!

We were going to tell H's immediate family Christmas morning too, but we are nervous that after spending all Christmas Eve with them (and extended family) it will be hard to hide AND I will probably be stressed the whole time and wont be able to enjoy it. So we just decided last night to do it on Christmas Eve when FIL and us kids open our PJ gifts we'll give MIL a box that will have a note inside saying her gift is back ordered and due to arrive August 2016 and signed from us and the baby.

Me - 33; DH - 33
    Dating 1/18/06
    Married 9/21/13
    BFP #1 12/15/15 - C Born 8/27/16
    BFP #2 1/10/20 - EDD 9/8/20

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Last time we waited to tell families until about 9 weeks I think. We are telling them early this year since it is Christmas and will be so wonderful to celebrate. And both our families are extremely supportive, so I would want them to know if something happened as well. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I feel like we've had a couple of posts like this already, but anyways we're telling my parents and sister tomorrow and DH's parents on Friday (we do Christmas with my parents on Christmas Eve and Christmas with his parents Christmas Day). I think the rest of our families will wait until the 12-13 week mark, unless DH's grandfather's health goes downhill before then (doubt it, but you never know).

Both sets of parents have been patiently waiting for a year now - I want them to know they have a grandbaby, no matter what happens.
  • Options
    I'm telling my DH in a Christmas present (which is really hard to not say anything even though I just got my BFP last night!) for the rest of the family, it won't be until after the first trimester. I'll probably let my oldest tell everyone. (She won't find out until right before we want the world to know.)

Baby 1 - 10/2010 | Baby 2 - 8/2012 | Baby 3 - 6/2014 | Baby 4 - EDD 8/2016 - MC 12-27-2015 | Baby 5 - : 9/2016

• Options
    We are telling DH family tomorrow and mine tomorrow night. We have ornaments for both to open. I will only be 5 weeks but we live overseas and want to tell everyone in person.
  • Options
    bameierbameier member
    edited December 2015
    With DS we told are parents immediately but planned on waiting until 12 weeks to tell extended family but we were so excited after the first ultra sound at 9 weeks that we told DH's grandparents. We had such a nice visit with them and it's a great memory because his grandmother passed away suddenly shortly after our visit. If we had waited until 12 weeks we would not have been able to celebrate with her.
    This pregnancy we'll be announcing at Christmas I'll be 8 weeks and we had the first ultra sound Monday.
    Basically we can't keep it a secret once we see that little heart beat.

Edit: didn't post entirety.
  • Options
    We're telling ILs on Christmas, I'll be exactly 5w.  We won't be telling my parents until after our first u/s though because I learned the last time that they can't keep a secret.
  • Options
    My philosophy is tell those whose support you'd want if something went wrong.

With our first pregnancy that ended in loss at 8w, we hadn't told anyone, including our parents. It was the most lonely experience I've ever been through, and I finally did end up telling them a month later, which was an awkward conversation - "I was pregnant, but not anymore."

With DS we adopted the philosophy of telling people closest to us right away. We wanted all the prayers and support we could get, no matter what happened.

Our most recent loss was at 13 weeks. We had told almost everyone by that point because we had seen the heartbeat twice and thought we were out of the woods. I won't lie, "untelling" everyone was excruciating, but we got a lot of support, and since then I've become much more vocal about my losses. It's so common and I wish there was more support.

We've told my parents and a few close friends so far. We will gradually tell more people as the time is right, but won't do a Facebook announcement until after the anatomy scan most likely.
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Options
    @bananers I'm so sorry for your losses, but I completely agree with your approach.

With our recent pregnancy that ended in a loss, I found it easiest to be around the people who knew-- it was much harder to be around people who didn't know. I felt like I had to put on a fake, happy mask when I was really completely devastated. I found that experience exhausting and isolating.

We've told my immediate family already, for this reason. I've also told a few close, trusted friends. We haven't told DH's family yet-- I think we'll wait awhile longer.

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016
  • Options
    We had planned to tell everyone at Christmas but after a lot of bleeding a week ago and my 6 week ultrasound showing I have a subchorionic hematoma we decided to wait and see how this plays out.
    Things seem fine so far. No new bleeding just old blood coming out.
    Trying not to stress or worry about this and my parents having written me off for giving them a grandchuld and my mom being fragile mentally and having had 2 losses herself. We figure its best to wait.
    They're still digesting my engagement news lol
  • Options
    We finally told our parent and kids last night. They were all much more excited than we expected and I feel so much better now. Even though I was only 8w 2d, if anything happens i want my family's support.