January 2016 Moms

Blood pressure on the rise

Anyone have high bp without a pre- diagnosis? I've had no proteins in my urine and my pressure has been on the rise the last few weeks. My dr asked me to monitor it through the holiday weekend and make sure it doesn't get above 140/90. If it does I have to either go to the office or triage depending on when it is so they can monitor me and do a 24hr urine catch. He said if one number is higher but the other is not, he isn't worried about it, only if both numbers are high. I checked this morning at a local drug store and it was 147/85. I called just to let them know and the nurse told me he wasn't concerned, just to check it again tomorrow morning. I know it's normal for our bp to rise near the end of pregnancy. Luckily, I don't have any other symptoms of pre-e short of high pressure readings and some swelling, but my dr isn't concerned at all about the swelling. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie - FiGB
Married DH 11/15/08
Formerly MissMheMhe

Re: Blood pressure on the rise

• I get high BP for all my pregnancies but I have never had pre-e or protein in my urine. They just have me do extra NSTs, BPPs, urine tests and extra bloodwork. But I have never had anything else wrong besides the high BP so my doctors also don't seem worried. How much swelling are you having? Some swelling towards the end is normal. 
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • @Monilee1017 the swelling is in my feet, ankles and lower legs as well as my hands. It only started about 4 weeks ago, and my dr doesn't seem concerned about it and calls it 'routine'. 
    I'm hoping my situation turns out like yours have!
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Loading the player...
  • My blood pressure has been a little higher as we progress and no pre-e for me; however as the nurse at OB takes my pressure as soon as I sit down and now I'm freaked out about it so that plus just sitting down makes it artificially high (top number was 150 when I first sat down and 118 when she re-did it 10 minutes later)---- so make sure you are relaxed is my point.
  • Mine has been 120s-140s over 70s-80s throughout the pregnancy with the top number usually in the 130s. I have swelling in my feet, ankles and hands. My doctor is monitoring and having me monitor at home, but says he does not think I will develop pre-e. I have no other symptoms and they check my urine at each appt, no protein. Sounds like we are in a similar boat! Hopefully all will stay well for both of us. 37 weeks tomorrow.
  • I was just wondering the same thing. Mine has only been high at my past two appts and the doctor had me go to l&d for a non stress test and some labs but everything was normal, even my BP was normal at the hospital. No protein or any other symptoms, besides normal swelling, and doctor doesn't seem worried. Here's hoping everything stays in the safe zone.
  • I had high BP with ds but did not have pre-e symptoms. It started at about 36 weeks and I was eventually put on bed rest at 38 weeks. I had to do blood work and 24 hour urine collection but nothing ever came back negative. I was ultimately induced right at 40 weeks and my BP came down following delivery. Oddly enough. I could never tell when my BP was high...I never felt different.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • My BP started climbing around 32-33 weeks, and I had pre term contractions so I got monitored at the hospital, got rid of the contractions and did all the pre-e labs and everything came back normal so I got a gestational high blood pressure diagnosis, i stayed around the 140/90 range or a little lower so they never had to start meds but I had to do twice weekly NSTs and got induced at 37 weeks bc my doc didn't want my pressures climbing any higher
  • Thank you everyone for your responses. It helps me to feel better that others are, or have been, in the same situation! Here's to all of us making it through with just high reading and nothing more! Not much more to go!
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • I am going through the same thing. My urine & blood tests were normal so they don't think it is pre-e but if my BP is still high at my appointment on Monday, induction next week is a possibility (will be 37 weeks). We just have to trust that our doctors know best and relax.
  • At 30 weeks my blood pressure was 135/93. Went to the hospital and was admitted. A 24 hour urine test was done and picked up enough protein for a preeclampsia diagnoses. I stayed 4 nights in the hospital until being discharged and told to be on bed rest.

Blood pressure has been fine since. Protein hasn't been picked up on any urine test other than the 24 hour count. Luckily my Doctor was quick to respond to my blood pressure going up. She said at that point in my pregnancy is when blood pressure should be at its lowest.

Good luck to you! I'm now 35 weeks. Every week I can stay on bed rest and keep my little guy cooking the better.
  • Yes! Mine has been around 110/70 until Wednesday went I went in and it was 136/84. I work in a cardiology office and routinely see blood pressures above 150 so in my mind 136 was a little high but not too bad. First timer here and apparently things are different when you are pregnant! I have to go back in on Monday for my next weekly check and to make sure my BP is ok. It was 100/58 by the time I left so I am hoping the high reading was a fluke 
  • Yep! : ) 145/91 yesterday at my 38 week appt. I've had a really healthy pregnancy up until the increasing Bp the last two weeks. I don't even have any swelling. She called it "gestational hypertension" and had me stop working yesterday. I'm on modified bed rest and we are rechecking Tuesday. She said it would be great to get to 39 weeks but we will most likely induce to keep everyone safe. The baby is very active and appears healthy.
  • My blood pressure last appointment was 142/86. My doctor said it was higher than what has been normal for me, but didn't really seem too worried. She said I didn't have any protein in my usual urine check. But now reading all your replies, I'm wondering if we should be more worried. I have been having decent swelling in my feet/ankles with just slight swelling in my hands and face. Most days I can wear my rings, but I usually take them off by mid-day just to make sure they don't get stuck.

My next appointment isn't until Jan 4, which feels like forever away when you start to worry about something.
  • I have chronic high blood pressure even without pregnancy :/ this is baby #6 for me, and I have to take blood pressure meds 5 times a day, labetalol 3×'s and procardia 2×'s and my blood pressure reads about 140/90 each time. My Dr. is ok with it right now, some swelling is normal right now, I think the concerns are swelling in the face, extreme weight gain very quickly, abdominal pain, and vision changes along with a wicked headache. I think you're fine, and blood pressure does rise at end of pregnancy for some :( but of course call your Dr. if you have ANY concerns. If it is a little high, trying resting on your left side for a while, then take it again. Also, I believe taking your reading over and over again closely together can raise your blood pressure too. Good luck! Merry Christmas!