VBAC

VBAC success!!

Pontot31Pontot31 member
edited December 2015 in VBAC
I always loved reading successful VBAC stories so I thought I would come post that I had a great VBAC with my son on November 27th at 40w1d.
I was even induced due to high blood pressure and had gestational diabetes and it was successful.

I was induced with a cook catheter around 10pm on my due date due to labs coming back with elevated protein in my urine. I had pre-e with my daughter and was induced at 41 weeks. After 2 days and getting stalled out at 6cm it ended in a CS.

This time the cook catheter got me to 4cm. It was uncomfortable but not painful. I would totally recommend it to anyone having to induce with a VBAC. They gave me a sleeping pill with it and woke me up at 7am the next morning. I was already having light contractions and was 4cm.
We started pitocin at 9am. I was able to walk and bounce on the exercise ball.
Around 3pm things got very intense. I had no break in between contractions due to the pitocin being increased multiple times. I opted for a walking epidural. I could still feel my legs and even was able to labor on my hands and knees. It took away about 80% of the pain and let the contractions space out some.
Around 8:30pm I could tell things were changing. The epi didn't work any more and my whole body was shaking. At 9pm my midwife checked me and I was complete! I pushed for about 15 minutes and the room suddenly filled with people - his heart rate went way down and then way up. I was so lucky that the most VBAC friend doctor in the whole practice was on duty. He asked me to breathe through a few contractions so they could watch the baby. After about 10 mins they told me to try pushing again and baby's heart rate went back to normal. I could continue!
A half hour later, after less than an hour total of pushing, our little guy's head popped out and he was already crying before I delivered his shoulders. He was born at 10:11pm on Black Friday. He was put on my chest for 3 hours of uninterrupted skin to skin. All the nurses and the doctor and midwife left us alone and didn't even weigh or measure him for a few hours. It was awesome! He ended up being 8lbs 5oz and 20 inches long. Smaller than big sister who was 9lbs 3oz and 22 inches!
I didn't realize it at the time but they were prepping an OR due to his heart rate. I came
Very close to a RCS but luckily they took some time to let my son's heart rate recover. The doctor told me it was the right call. He said the baby came out screaming so he knew there was never an issue.

I'm so thankful for providers who trust a woman's body and who gave me time.
My doula was also invaluable. And I also think seeing a chiropractor twice a week helped make sure he was in the right position, unlike his sister.
Having GD also turned out to be a blessing in disguise because a strict diet helped to keep my baby smaller than his sister.

Good luck to those going for a VBAC. You can do it!
Here's my favorite picture from the day. It sums up all my emotions.

Re: VBAC success!!

• Congrats!
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • Congratulations! Love your story and photo. :) I'm 35 weeks, hoping to vbac in January.
    BFP #1 - EDD 4/18/13 | DS born 5/1/13. 9 lbs. 14 oz., 22 inches long.

BFP #2 - EDD 1/25/16
  • Loading the player...
  • RunnerMeg said:

Congratulations! Love your story and photo. :) I'm 35 weeks, hoping to vbac in January.

Good luck!
  • Good job mama!!! Congratulations!
  • Awesome, I'm so happy to see a good induction VBAC story! I'm also in a position of needing to be induced around 39 weeks if I don't go into labor naturally, and I've been reading a little about the cook catheter. Thanks for sharing!
    Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Awesome, I'm so happy to see a good induction VBAC story! I'm also in a position of needing to be induced around 39 weeks if I don't go into labor naturally, and I've been reading a little about the cook catheter. Thanks for sharing!

It worked so well! It's uncomfortable but as soon as I made myself really relax all of those muscles I didn't even feel it.
    The peanut ball once I couldn't take the pitocin contractions was amazing! I was lucky my hospital has them but my doula has her own too.
    If you know you'll be induced I woke highly suggest a doula.
  • Pontot31 said:
    Awesome, I'm so happy to see a good induction VBAC story! I'm also in a position of needing to be induced around 39 weeks if I don't go into labor naturally, and I've been reading a little about the cook catheter. Thanks for sharing!
    It worked so well! It's uncomfortable but as soon as I made myself really relax all of those muscles I didn't even feel it. The peanut ball once I couldn't take the pitocin contractions was amazing! I was lucky my hospital has them but my doula has her own too. If you know you'll be induced I woke highly suggest a doula.
    What's a peanut ball?

I was induced with dd1 so I'm all too familiar with pitocin contractions :-/. I did go into labor spontaneously with dd2 early (37 weeks) but she was breech, hence the c/s. I made it to 5-6cm before going into the OR and those contractions were wayyy different than the pitocin contractions, lol. 
    Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Pontot31 said:
    Awesome, I'm so happy to see a good induction VBAC story! I'm also in a position of needing to be induced around 39 weeks if I don't go into labor naturally, and I've been reading a little about the cook catheter. Thanks for sharing!
    It worked so well! It's uncomfortable but as soon as I made myself really relax all of those muscles I didn't even feel it. The peanut ball once I couldn't take the pitocin contractions was amazing! I was lucky my hospital has them but my doula has her own too. If you know you'll be induced I woke highly suggest a doula.
    What's a peanut ball?

I was induced with dd1 so I'm all too familiar with pitocin contractions :-/. I did go into labor spontaneously with dd2 early (37 weeks) but she was breech, hence the c/s. I made it to 5-6cm before going into the OR and those contractions were wayyy different than the pitocin contractions, lol. 
    It looks like an exercise ball that's shapped more like a peanut. I was able to stay in bed and have my legs and hips moved into al different positions to help move labor along.