February 2016 Moms

Steak! How should I order?

On Christmas Eve my husband and I will be in NYC without our families. We decided to go to a famous steak house in Brooklyn to help make up for missing our traditional Christmas celebrations. Rumor is that this may be the "best steak we'll ever eat" so I want to order it correctly. If I weren't pregnant I'd order medium rare, but since I'll be 8 months and 1 week pregnant that night I won't be ordering that way. Can I order medium? Or does it have to be medium well? I'm sorry for the very trivial post! Anyone have any experience or advice?

Re: Steak! How should I order?

• I've had rare and medium rare this pregnancy.
    It was fine until my 3rd trimester, then it made me puke. :disappointed:
    But I didn't think about it the other times I ordered and was fine. Haven't had any since I threw up though.
  • You can order however you want. It's the outside surface of the meat that has the bad stuff on it. That will be cooked regardless of how rare it is. I ordered rare when we went on our babymoon and all is well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I order my steak the way I like it. I would suggest you do the same, especially since it sounds like you are going to a very reputable place! Peter Luger?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Seriously, order it bleeding if you want. It's ground meat that has the issue, not steak, certainly not a fancy steak house steak. Enjoy!
  • Order what you want! You deserve it! (And there really isn't much risk, if any)

• My husband's company Xmas dinner was at a nice, reputable steakhouse. I ordered medium rare without any hesitation and it was probably the best meal I have had this entire pregnancy! I wouldn't order that way at Outback or some other middle of the road steakhouse, but definitely at a nice, upscale place, order as you please.
  • VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited December 2015
    Don't ruin your (presumably very expensive) meal by ordering an overcooked steak. If you like medium rare, get medium rare. I wouldn't think twice about it at a reputable steakhouse.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Lurking from March...
    I've eaten steak medium to medium rare this whole pregnancy and have had no issues. Like PPs have said, don't ruin a really nice steak dinner by getting it cooked more than you like!! I say go with the medium rare if that's what you truly want, you'll be happier.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• I agree with PPs. I have had steaks and burgers cooked medium rare both at home and at nice restaurants. For me it was about the quality of the meat and I wasn't worried. The only thing I noticed was as good as it tasted , I could tell my body was digesting slower and I felt slightly lethargic. Go enjoy a nice steak!
  • Thanks everyone!
  • Ooooh are you going to Peter Luger's? I love that place! Anyway like everyone else said since it's a nice place I wouldn't worry. If you were going to some hole in the wall or grandma's house where the health conditions are questionable I'd say well done, but you should be fine at a nice place. Enjoy!
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • I asked my OB about steaks specifically. His response was to order it however you wanted it.