February 2016 Moms
Options

Steak! How should I order?

On Christmas Eve my husband and I will be in NYC without our families. We decided to go to a famous steak house in Brooklyn to help make up for missing our traditional Christmas celebrations. Rumor is that this may be the "best steak we'll ever eat" so I want to order it correctly. If I weren't pregnant I'd order medium rare, but since I'll be 8 months and 1 week pregnant that night I won't be ordering that way. Can I order medium? Or does it have to be medium well? I'm sorry for the very trivial post! Anyone have any experience or advice?

Re: Steak! How should I order?

• Options
    I've had rare and medium rare this pregnancy.
    It was fine until my 3rd trimester, then it made me puke. :disappointed:
    But I didn't think about it the other times I ordered and was fine. Haven't had any since I threw up though.
  • Options
    You can order however you want. It's the outside surface of the meat that has the bad stuff on it. That will be cooked regardless of how rare it is. I ordered rare when we went on our babymoon and all is well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I order my steak the way I like it. I would suggest you do the same, especially since it sounds like you are going to a very reputable place! Peter Luger?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Seriously, order it bleeding if you want. It's ground meat that has the issue, not steak, certainly not a fancy steak house steak. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Order what you want! You deserve it! (And there really isn't much risk, if any)

• Options
    My husband's company Xmas dinner was at a nice, reputable steakhouse. I ordered medium rare without any hesitation and it was probably the best meal I have had this entire pregnancy! I wouldn't order that way at Outback or some other middle of the road steakhouse, but definitely at a nice, upscale place, order as you please.
  • Options
    VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited December 2015
    Don't ruin your (presumably very expensive) meal by ordering an overcooked steak. If you like medium rare, get medium rare. I wouldn't think twice about it at a reputable steakhouse.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Lurking from March...
    I've eaten steak medium to medium rare this whole pregnancy and have had no issues. Like PPs have said, don't ruin a really nice steak dinner by getting it cooked more than you like!! I say go with the medium rare if that's what you truly want, you'll be happier.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    I agree with PPs. I have had steaks and burgers cooked medium rare both at home and at nice restaurants. For me it was about the quality of the meat and I wasn't worried. The only thing I noticed was as good as it tasted , I could tell my body was digesting slower and I felt slightly lethargic. Go enjoy a nice steak!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    Ooooh are you going to Peter Luger's? I love that place! Anyway like everyone else said since it's a nice place I wouldn't worry. If you were going to some hole in the wall or grandma's house where the health conditions are questionable I'd say well done, but you should be fine at a nice place. Enjoy!
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    I asked my OB about steaks specifically. His response was to order it however you wanted it.