July 2016 Moms
Options

Stupid pieces of unsolicited advice you have received in early pregnancy!

Let's here about all those people who feel the need to give you advice!

Re: Stupid pieces of unsolicited advice you have received in early pregnancy!

• Options
    My aunt called to congratulate me and tell me not to cook cabbage because it will make my morning sickness worse... Ya ok...
  • Options
    I've heard it all, esp during IVF.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

The only unsolicited advice or 'recommendation' I have received was that I should seriously consider marrying the father of my LO. Not from a family member of mine, but from an acquaintance.

.... Um. We're not even together, why would we get married? :-/

Image result for jackson april gif baby
  • Options
    MIL: you really need to get the prescription prenatals because they have 1 mg of folic acid and the regular ones only get maybe 600 mcg and your baby needs all it can get.

Yea ok MIL.

I ended up getting them anyways because they were cheaper and I could use my FSA on them.
  • Options
    My aunt told me not to "be a hero" during labor. I've also been on the receiving end of some of the most terrible pregnancy loss and labor complication stories. I just... why would you tell someone who is pregnant all the worst case scenarios? How is that helpful? I'm well aware of the risks, and trying not to dwell on them. 

• Options
    A lady that works at my son's daycare said, "just be careful and use your common sense." Um yeah, I've done this before but NOW I definitely think I won't be using any common sense. Wtf random lady.
  • Options
    My mother keeps telling me that her doctor told her during her last pregnancy (8 years ago) that she didn't need to cut down on the 2 pots of coffee and 2 packs of cigarettes a day. She repeats this every single time I say I'm trying not to drink more than a cup of coffee a day. Also, she encourages a glass of any wine, in my sisters case we are talking a giant glass of arbor mist a day. No.

...Even if some backwoods idiot stone age doctor said this, there is no way in hell I would follow that advice and no matter how many times I tell her it's bad advice, she endlessly repeats it.
  • Options
    The doorman at my office told me I shouldn't walk so much...funny given my OB raves about how great walking is for the baby!

My mother in-law said I shouldn't eat fish or do stairs...our rooms are on the second floor and low Mercury fish is recommended!

They are just concerned but it's funny how involved people get
  • Options
    I had someone tell me not to mop. Sweeping fine, mopping not. Of course I'm so lazy right now I really don't want to do chores anyway
  • Options
    Lol some of these are true gems! I had someone say wait until you 6 months then the MS really starts... I felt like s*** in November and have only had MS once since the beginning of December. Also hearing a lot of "it's all in your head." Okay, well maybe it's all in my body which in turn affects my head, still that is totally NOT helpful!
  • Options
    (With my last pregnancy) MIL: I didn't stop smoking and my kids turned out fine. Your doctor is nuts. You can eat whatever you want and lift whatever you want and do whatever you want. You're just being lazy. (Last part in reference to me not being in the corral working cattle at 6 months pregnant. Ps I didn't grow up on a farm and I'm not at all a farm girl so my body isn't used to that kind of work anyway.)
  • Options
    The only truly unsolicited advice I've had came from my midwife this week. She asked if I planned on breastfeeding and I said no. She proceeded to ask why and then gave me a big lecture about why I should. Not unexpected coming from a midwife, but it irritated me. 

But fortunately our friends and family aren't the annoying, intrusive types!
  • Options
    One of my best friends who is also expecting isn't really following the typical guidelines for pregnancy her attitude is she turned out just fine and our parents never really listened to all of the strict regulations with what we could or couldn't eat or do. This also includes not taking prenatal vitamins she says she has a healthy diet and is taking folic acid and she told me that when I stop taking the prenatal vitamins that my hair will fall out
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • Options
    @Lindsayleigh1989 Everytime you mention things your DH does you really make me appreciate my engineer husband. When mine says something stupid though I have the death glare down and he just looks away and says nothing.

Me: 30, DH: 31

Married: May 16th 2015

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

@Lindsayleigh1989 Everytime you mention things your DH does you really make me appreciate my engineer husband. When mine says something stupid though I have the death glare down and he just looks away and says nothing.

Haha happy to oblige ;) if yours has learned maybe mine will too!
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    I work in an upscale bar, which does not make my coworkers or other people in the industry remotely upscale. I had someone ask me if I was Catholic and I said yes to which they replied, "Well that's too bad." And they weren't even the first or last person to imply/ask why I wasn't going to abort. 1. How on earth is that your business? 2. How incredibly rude to even mention harming my child to me.
  • Options
    hallgire said:

The only unsolicited advice or 'recommendation' I have received was that I should seriously consider marrying the father of my LO. Not from a family member of mine, but from an acquaintance.

.... Um. We're not even together, why would we get married? :-/

I'm in the same boat! I've been getting this left and right! Ugh
  • Options
    From my first pregnancy: "get all the sleep you can." "Why are you in public while your month old baby is sleeping? You should be sleeping too." "In my day, we ate/did/drank this and my kids turned out fine." "We didn't have car seats and my kids lived." "You need to pick a name that we like because if you don't we'll just give her a nickname anyway."
  • Options
    megth said:

From my first pregnancy: "get all the sleep you can." "Why are you in public while your month old baby is sleeping? You should be sleeping too." "In my day, we ate/did/drank this and my kids turned out fine." "We didn't have car seats and my kids lived." "You need to pick a name that we like because if you don't we'll just give her a nickname anyway."

These make me rage. Yes, your kids were fine and lived. A lot of others didn't. And if you call my child by a name that is in no way related to his or her actual name, just because you don't like it (narcissist!), you will not see my child. 

I completely agree. We've learned since then!
    Currently she calls our daughter "Broccoli" but only around our nephew. As of recently she only sees DD when we have big family get togethers.
  • Options
    These make me rage. Yes, your kids were fine and lived. A lot of others didn't. And if you call my child by a name that is in no way related to his or her actual name, just because you don't like it (narcissist!), you will not see my child. 
    I completely agree. We've learned since then! Currently she calls our daughter "Broccoli" but only around our nephew. As of recently she only sees DD when we have big family get togethers.
    It's funny, I don't know that I'd mind Broccoli as a nickname depending on who gave it, it's kinda cute. But something like, oh we'll just call her Danielle because we like that name, I have heard of that happening! wtf!
    Baby#3!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    megth said:

megth said:

I completely agree. We've learned since then!
    Currently she calls our daughter "Broccoli" but only around our nephew. As of recently she only sees DD when we have big family get togethers.

It's funny, I don't know that I'd mind Broccoli as a nickname depending on who gave it, it's kinda cute. But something like, oh we'll just call her Danielle because we like that name, I have heard of that happening! wtf!
    ----------------

It's a mispronounciation of her name, Blake.ley. It drives DH up a wall. Granted, there are worse things it could be.

Eta: quote block fail. Also, DD's name doesn't have a period in it.
  • Options
    Nerdchild said:
    @TattoosandLace, this may just be the snarky bitch in me, but I would fight fire with fire. If the person using "Broccoli" for Blakely was one of the grandmothers, I would teach my child to call them "grandmonster". If it were a friend or other family member, I would find the most insulting way to butcher their name and teach my child to do it. I have friends who, in my opinion, have given their kids some stupid names. Do I say this to them (or anyone but my husband)? Absolutely not! Do I refuse to use the kids name? No! I'm an adult and won't tease a child because that is wrong! Some people, I swear!
    Second this. Ughhhh @TattoosandLace that's so annoying
    Baby#3!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @nerdchild I love you in a non creepy internet stranger way.
    DH says we'll teach DD to call MIL "old lady" instead of grandma.
    She in general makes me ragey.
  • Options
    @TattoosandLace, the feeling is mutual! ;)

I'm laughing too hard at "old lady".
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I honestly laughed out loud when I read the name 'grandmonster' :smiley:
    Eta:bc my phone just doesn't like me.
  • Options
    elenabrentelenabrent member
    edited December 2015
    @TattoosandLace when my youngest niece was born and named Amelie I overheard my MIL saying to someone at Thanksgiving that year "It's Amelie. Like... omelette." My husband and I could not stop laughing. It still cracks me up.

• Options

@TattoosandLace when my youngest niece was born and named Amelie I overheard my MIL saying to someone at Thanksgiving that year "It's Amelie. Like... omelette." My husband and I could not stop laughing. It still cracks me up.

I'm glad you said this. DH love the name Amelia, but I don't. I suggested Amelie. That will now be off the table.
  • Options
    elenabrentelenabrent member
    edited December 2015

@TattoosandLace it's such a pretty name, but if your MIL has a history correlating names with food, it's easy with this one. I don't think my MIL could understand why her name wasn't Emily. 

• Options

@TattoosandLace it's such a pretty name, but if your MIL has a history correlating names with food, it's easy with this one. I don't think my MIL could understand why her name wasn't Emily. 

My MIL just has a history of being extremely rude and b*tchy.

Honestly, I agree with PP on calling a child by his/her name even if you don't like it. My MIL is very disrespectful.
  • Options
    I know someone who named her child this.  When she was pregnant we asked her husband what the baby's name would be and he legit couldn't pronounce it.  He kept stumbling...."Amel....Ame...Amelie...?" and was so awkwardly uncertain.  It was hysterical!
  • Options
    This weekend my sister-in-law told me that her and her husband have "decided we would make better girl parents than boy parents." So... I guess we should hope for a girl?! Thank you!? WTF! 
    Me: 28 & DH: 32
    Married Since November 2013
    BFP: October 29, 2015
    EDD: July 6, 2016