TTC After a Loss
Options

Optimal BBT for conception - Ladies, ever heard of this?

This week was my second appointment with my acupuncturist. She won't do fertility acupuncture on me because I haven't had 3 normal cycles, even though I had a normal MC and have started a normal cycle, and my OB gave me the green light. She did, however, check my BBT charts. My temps usually drop down to 96.5 or so right before I ovulate and I was explaining that. Currently I'm resting in the 97.0 area and have 6 days-ish before I ovulate. She told me that temperatures in the 96 range were too low for conception. This was new to me since I'd conceived when my temps before O day were as low as 96.4 - I went back and looked and my actual O day as pinpointed by FF was 97.2 the day I conceived.

I combed back through TCOYF and searched here and on google but haven't seen anything credible that suggests this. Have any ladies heard of this?
TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
MC #1 - 1/10/2014
MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Optimal BBT for conception - Ladies, ever heard of this?

• Options
    I have never heard that before, so weird...I'm totally going to look at my charts now haha. I have however noticed similarities in the average temp range in which people get bfps when scrolling through the chart galleries on FF. I will definitely remember this is my ob decides to refer me to an RE (because my OB doesn't 'believe' in temping)
    TT#1 July 2015
    BFP#1 & MC:August 2015 
    BFP: #2 10/01/2015 MC: 10/09/2015   BFP #3: 12/22/2015 @ 5 weeks  MC/CP: 12-23-2015
    Fertility Appointment: Feb 23/16, Hysteroscopy 03/02/2016,
    BFP #4: 03/31/16 EDD 12/01/2016 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My temp was 96.75 the cycle I conceived but I ended up having an ectopic pregnancy. It's also hard to know when exactly you conceived and what your temp was then.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm just kind of flummoxed - my acupuncturist had said my temperatures were incredibly low and I would have trouble conceiving. I'd never heard that before.
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    My acupuncturist said something similar, but not quite the same. My temps are low, usually in the low 97s or high 96s and so even when I do spike/ovulate I only get up to the upper 97s. My acupuncturist DID NOT say that my temp was too low to ovulate/conceive, but she DID say that AFTER ovulation my temps didn't get high enough. She said that my temp needs to stay at or above 98 after ovulation to have a successful pregnancy.

I hadn't heard this before, but i guess it makes sense. Because I don't think I have much trouble ovulating/conceiving (I had 2 pregnancies this year), but I can't seem to keep them (resulted in 2 miscarriages). So it is possible that she is correct and my body is not retaining a high enough temp to sustain the pregnancy. Maybe that is what your acupuncturist was saying too?

Since the blood work my OB ordered didn't show any issues I'm going to go with the acupuncturist's ideas/solutions for now and see how that goes. She says she can help me raise my temp and keep it there after ovulations, so we shall see. Hopefully they both can help us both! FX

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @GoldenTMama I can't be too sure, once I confirmed O with temps I was in the 98s for all of my charted cycles, and when I lost my pregnancy I was still in the high 98s. I'm honestly not really sure what all of it means but I do know since starting acupuncture my temp never went into the 96s. I haven't confirmed O yet this cycle but hopefully my temp stays up and confirms that I O'd yesterday. FX your acupuncturist can help you! I know mine has already helped me with my anxiety!
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

@FireInWonderland I'm glad acupuncture has help you with anxiety! I know that can be a pain for us as we TTC again (I'm mainly speaking for myself).

I haven't dropped into the 96s since starting acupuncture either, so FX it is helping me. This cycle was going to be the first full cycle of acupuncture and herbs to see if it was really raising my temp, but I got a really bad cold so we can't be sure if the raise was due to acupuncture or the cold. :( So we will track it again this cycle and hopefully be able to start TTC again next cycle. 

Best of luck to you!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @GoldenTMama Hopefully after the holidays everything falls into place for you, and in the meantime you can relax and enjoy yourself. Holidays for me are really stressful but I think this year won't be as bad. The acupuncture has made so much of a difference I don't feel like I'll have panic attacks this year, and we've got our FX for a BFP in 2 weeks.

FX for you, best of luck!
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker