Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Drinking Water

When to start on water?

She's now 9mos. Pedi didn't say.

Re: Drinking Water

• Options
    I started to give wtaer through the day, couple sips, since around 7 month. But, my boy is a very big baby, he is now 9 month and weighs 26lbs, and he was around 21 than. I read that general recommendation is that baby 6-12m do not exceed 1-4 oz of water a day. I usually put around 3 oz in his sippy cup and give it to him in between the meals. He will not drink unless he is thirsty. Sometimes he finishes 3oz by the end of the day, sometimes he does not. I believe it also depends on how much formula your LO is taking a day. I am sure tou can call your pediatrician office just to make sure its ok to give water, but 1-2 oz a day to start with will not hurt.
  • Options
    I started give water since he started solids around 6 months. No more than 4 oz a day. I offer it with meals and if we are out and about and more when the day is hot. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started give water since he started solids around 6 months. No more than 4 oz a day. I offer it with meals and if we are out and about and more when the day is hot. 
    This.
  • Options
    Our therapist had us start with sippy cup at 4 mos. obviously not getting much at that point but practice with the cup was good.
  • Options
    I've been comfortable with giving it since he turned 6 months but it definitely hasn't been a priority. He gets some in his purees and I sometimes offer it in a sippy cup so he can practice. I think the amount he gets is negligible though. He's only 7 months though. If he were 9, I might try a little harder.
  • Options
    My pedi just gave the ok for 2-4 oz of water a day at LO's 6 month appt. I think it's more to get her practice with a sippy cup than anything.
  • Options
    I mentioned that mine doesn't like sipping water at his 9 mo apt last week, Dr said they really don't need to be drinking any water until 12 months