August 2015 Moms

Christmas Rant

Just found out my in-laws bought us a grandfather clock for christmas. It's being delivered in a week. We didn't ask for one or even want one and now it looks as if we're stuck with one! I'm not happy. Our home is decorated and furnished the way we want it to be; a little modern in design and a grandfather clock does not fit into our decor not does it fit in our home in regard to space. Not to mention we have a 4 month old baby and plans for 2 more on the future and grandfather clocks and little ones don't mix! I really don't mean to be ungrateful but I don't want something that we never wanted! I wish they saved their money or asked us what we really wanted or needed for our home. This is the 3rd time now that they've given us a "furniture" gift that we have to use because, well, they'd notice if it weren't in our home. I'm just so frustrated!

Re: Christmas Rant

• Oh, those crazy in-laws.
  • That's a pretty bizarre gift.
    BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My DH would be kindly telling his parents that while we appreciate the thought, they just aren't our style if this happened.
  • Awe, miss you @miz_liz!

I'm sorry; that sounds frustrating. It's not exactly the kind of item you can keep in a back bedroom and only pull out when they come over =/  I would gladly take a grandfather clock over my in-laws crap. They don't give gifts because they're always very tight with money, but they're expecting us to attend their annual Christmas Eve dinner which is always held at midnight. I'm not kidding. I can barely stay awake through it and they're expecting us to be there with our new baby. Who lives and breathes by her schedule. Could I set up her RnP in a back bedroom and get her to sleep? Yea, probably, but the fact that I would have to wake her up (we wouldn't be going over until well after her bed time) to transport her from her nursery to the car, then transport her from the car to their house, then transport her from their house to the car, then from the car back to the nursery is not sitting well with me. I wouldn't agree to that on any day of the year. They're setting us up to have a very fussy baby on Christmas Day which I do not appreciate.

DH clearly doesn't want to go but thinks we have to. I told him his parents are not the head of our family. We are. I'm totally willing to have a meal with them earlier in the evening or visit with them on Christmas day. But I really feel that a midnight dinner is unreasonable. 
  • Awe, miss you @miz_liz!

I'm sorry; that sounds frustrating. It's not exactly the kind of item you can keep in a back bedroom and only pull out when they come over =/  I would gladly take a grandfather clock over my in-laws crap. They don't give gifts because they're always very tight with money, but they're expecting us to attend their annual Christmas Eve dinner which is always held at midnight. I'm not kidding. I can barely stay awake through it and they're expecting us to be there with our new baby. Who lives and breathes by her schedule. Could I set up her RnP in a back bedroom and get her to sleep? Yea, probably, but the fact that I would have to wake her up (we wouldn't be going over until well after her bed time) to transport her from her nursery to the car, then transport her from the car to their house, then transport her from their house to the car, then from the car back to the nursery is not sitting well with me. I wouldn't agree to that on any day of the year. They're setting us up to have a very fussy baby on Christmas Day which I do not appreciate.

DH clearly doesn't want to go but thinks we have to. I told him his parents are not the head of our family. We are. I'm totally willing to have a meal with them earlier in the evening or visit with them on Christmas day. But I really feel that a midnight dinner is unreasonable. 

Aww thanks, I hardly check here now because it isn't too active :(. I agree, no way would this be happening, I would tell DH he has 2 options, tell his parents no, or go alone!
  • Wow that's really weird. Not the smartest or most practical for parents of a 4 month old. I would leave it in the box store it in the garage and say you're baby proofing. I don't have in law problems like that. Mine live locally and we rarely ever see them. I haven't heard from anyone since I got the text message not to bother coming over on thanksgiving since I was late. Uh I said I was having dinner with my parents and would be over later. It was before 6pm. Smh that's ok I haven't bothered since.
  • HA, i'd open in and be like "what am i supposed to do with this, i don't mean to sound ungrateful, but furniture is an awful personalize purchase and I cant imagine where were going to put this"
    I'm a jerk i don't care, that's a huge waste of money, i'd rather them stick that $$$ in a savings account for my kids.
  • mark return to sender?
    Seriously, though, you need to explain to them that it's just not a gift that is useful at this stage in your life. Between the need to child proof your home when LO becomes mobile to the noise factor this was just not a well thought out gift.
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • Did your husband ask for it? That's a bizarre gift. When we get weird things it's always something we said we liked and didn't want. Last year I finally got a good present from my fil and mil got me a kitchen aide stand mixer.. Love it.. This year no clue..

Hoping for hunter black boots!!
  • Welp,we got the measurements and clock is a whopping 23x13x83 it's huge! We hashed it out and hubby FINALLY called his parents tonight to talk about us not receiving this gift. They took the request pretty hard, FIL flew off the handle lost his temper and swore up a storm. MIL just remained quiet. We're in the dog house for this one now.... I hate how it's our fault for not wanting this huge, elaborate and useless gift but it's totally OK (in their eyes) that they picked out the $2800 clock for us, that neither if us ever asked for!?!
  • Wow. That is so weird. Are they the wealthy controlling type? Or is this something random?
  • Atleast your husband handled it. In laws are not as important as how husband handles them. I know that 1st hand
  • Ugh I hate when this type of thing happens. My in laws do shit like this...on a much smaller level. Like they buy us all new plates and kitchen ware that we really dislike and don't need. Plus we are big cooks and like higher quality stuff and his parents are more of the kraft meals kinda people who don't care about quality. So it always ends up being shit and they get all kinda of butt hurt when they come over and we aren't using it. Oh also, when we got married, they picked items off of our registry and then put their gaudy spin on them and gave them to us and then got very pissed when we wouldn't use them. Ahhhh the inlaws. :-) 
  • $2800 on a clock you didn't ask for?! That's like a lifetime of diapers! Hope this blows over soon. Hopefully they will calm down and realize what odd gift this is.
  • At least hubby handled it