July 2016 Moms
Options

Anyone else cothe diapering?

2»

Re: Anyone else cothe diapering?

• Options
    You can't use coupons on diapers anymore at BBB.
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I know it always said no diapers, but they never counted cloth as "diapers" at our store. Maybe with the growing popularity they started to believe its possible to actually diaper with a cute cloth bum cover ;) Who knows. I'm still going to try.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The smell: the smell of ammonia can build up. I washed about every two days. No pre-washing, except for spraying off the EFF poop.

Daycares: Depends on the daycare. I was a SAHM for about 2 1/2 years, but when they were in daycare they would not cloth diaper. But I have a friend who uses an in home daycare, and they will use cloth.

Where to buy: I usually bought used on craigslist. For new diapers, I prefer to buy from smaller businesses online. Big box stores do not have a big selection, and you can get better discounts buying online.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 

• Options
    I contacted the daycare I'll hopefully be using and they had no problem at all when I asked about cloth diapering. I know they only have a few babies in the baby room, so that probably helps a bit. They said they'll just put the soiled part of the diaper into a diaper bag and send it home with the baby at the end of the day. Kind of calmed my nerves a bit :)

On another note, I saw a story on the news recently about how more parents are opting to cloth diaper recently. I am really excited about it honestly. I think it's a large cost up front but over the course of use, I think they more than pay for themselves, plus you can use them for multiple babies. I am putting diapers on my registry and hope that will help cut down my initial out of pocket costs.
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    I have loved cloth diapers! Our DD is 9 mo now, and still in them except for brief incidents when she has a bad rash. We used prefolds and rumparooz covers as a newborn. Now we use Bumgenius all in ones, and they are wonderful. They are pricier, but we got ours gently used. We never get blowouts like with disposables. And the laundry isn't bad at all, it's not like you have to fold and hang them - it goes really quickly! We just add a soaker pad to beef it up at night and we never get leaks.
  • Options
    @chanfa
    I did make my own prefolds, and it worked great! There are plenty of tutorials online. I used thick flannel sheets from the thrift store and used old towels as an absorbent inner layer. They are all we used in the newborn phase, and they sewed up super fast.

I also made cloth wipes! I used this beautiful old pink and purple plaid bedding I found. Just cut into squares and zigzag stitched the edges. So easy. And I love them so much more than wet wipes. They are much more effective at actually wiping the poop off, and I usually only need one per diaper. It makes a lot of sense to use cloth wipes if your CDing. We have a small spray bottle with water and lavender oil on the table to wet the cloth wipes for use, and a back up spray bottle for the diaper bag.
  • Options
    I've been researching these a bit today and I'm certainly intrigued. I love the fact that you can re-use them for so long, and it's not a total waste of money but tossing them in the garbage. The one's a lot of people seem to like (on YT anyway) seem to be the Bumgenius brand. I watched a few videos on them and they look awesome!! Have you ladies had experience with them? They are a bit pricey, but in the long run a better deal than disposables overall, in my opinion. And I love how they expand and are one-size.
    Image result for jackson april gif baby
  • Options
    We have done cloth with my almost 2 yo. Its worked out great, saved us a ton and not been as much work as I expected. We are having twins this time around and I'm going to do hybrid diapering - cloth at home and disposable when we are out. I figure I won't have the space for a wet bag and cloth takes up more space in a diaper bag. But with just one baby, I highly recommend it!

• Options
    hallgire said:
    I've been researching these a bit today and I'm certainly intrigued. I love the fact that you can re-use them for so long, and it's not a total waste of money but tossing them in the garbage. The one's a lot of people seem to like (on YT anyway) seem to be the Bumgenius brand. I watched a few videos on them and they look awesome!! Have you ladies had experience with them? They are a bit pricey, but in the long run a better deal than disposables overall, in my opinion. And I love how they expand and are one-size.
    I have a lot of Bumgenius that have lasted through all three kids. I would recommend the kind with snaps, as the velcro doesn't last as long. But BG are probably in my top 3 favorites!

• Options
    One thing that's helped us a lot is using flushable bio-liners. It's $10 for 200 and it keeps us from having to spray the diapers.

• Options
    H and I are probably the laziest cloth diaperers. We have a pretty decent BG pocket stash for a singleton, so I wash every 3 and 4 days (we use Tide Ultra with 1 pre-wash on hot, 1 regular wash, 1 rinse and line dry everything). Stuffing the pockets can take up to two days, but luckily we have enough diapers to hold us over. We use liners so when LO does poop, we plop the liner and poop into the toilet, flush then throw the diaper and inserts into the diaper pail. We do the same when we're out and about. Also, lo's daycare (in Ohio) isn't opposed to cloth diapers, but mentioned they prefer velcro tabs and they'd just throw everything in her wet bag. I'd think it's much easier to cloth diaper in the Greater Boston area (where we're from).
    TTC #1: Jun 2014. BFP #1: Jul 18, 2014. DD born Mar 2015.
    TTC #2: Aug 2015. BFP: #2: Nov 9, 2015. EDD: Jul, 21 2015.
    Vow Renewal: July 1, 2017.
  • Options
    sboston06 said:

I contacted the daycare I'll hopefully be using and they had no problem at all when I asked about cloth diapering. I know they only have a few babies in the baby room, so that probably helps a bit. They said they'll just put the soiled part of the diaper into a diaper bag and send it home with the baby at the end of the day. Kind of calmed my nerves a bit :)

On another note, I saw a story on the news recently about how more parents are opting to cloth diaper recently. I am really excited about it honestly. I think it's a large cost up front but over the course of use, I think they more than pay for themselves, plus you can use them for multiple babies. I am putting diapers on my registry and hope that will help cut down my initial out of pocket costs.
    Are you close to Somerville/Cambridge? I found the Diaper Lab to be an incredible source of information while I was debating on cloth diapers. I did find the initial investment to be expensive (as fudge- BumGenius has their 4.0s on deep discount, $10.95, on their website. It's the cheapest you'll find them brand new!), but my wallet is justified as I don't plan on needing any more diapers with this little one due in July.

Not to sound creepy, but your username looks so familiar! We might have gotten married around the same time and hung out around the Boston board on TK?
    TTC #1: Jun 2014. BFP #1: Jul 18, 2014. DD born Mar 2015.
    TTC #2: Aug 2015. BFP: #2: Nov 9, 2015. EDD: Jul, 21 2015.
    Vow Renewal: July 1, 2017.
  • Options
    @jenandcris - thank you for the tip! I should've known Somerville and Cambridge would have a place like that :) Looks like they have some cool workshops for cloth diapering and baby wearing AND a cloth diaper experimental package, which definitely takes some of the pressure off when making the initial investment. I will definitely be using them when the time gets closer.
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    I will be a FTM and we plan on cloth diapering. I have done some research and I think I know what diapers I want to try, but I am unsure about whether to also use cloth wipes. For those currently cloth diapering with HE front loader washing machines, what detergent do you use?? I've heard decent things about the honest company with cloth diapering but I want to try and use something cheaper.
  • Options
    @shaylalr I've heard that cloth wipes are easier because you can just throw it all in the wash rather than pick out the disposable wipes. I've even seen some interesting wipe warmers on Amazon though that's not at all necessary!
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    @sboston06 that makes sense! I will have to do more research on them. I'm sure it will save money too.