June 2015 Moms

Interesting read: "Why adults have to stop trying so darn hard to control how children play"

Saw this on Facebook and thought it was an interesting read.  LO is my first, so I don't have older kid experience yet, but I imagine this would be difficult to do, but it seems to make sense (from not having actual experience as a parent).  What do you all think?

Re: Interesting read: "Why adults have to stop trying so darn hard to control how children play"

• Loading the player...
  • ^ that article was misinterpreted by so many people and the logic does not hold up in school so for the moms who adhere to it... Well those kids have a real hard time with the whole school rules of sharing thing... The way I handle the sharing issue is if DS brings a toy to a public place I explain to him the expectation is to share and that other kids may want to play with his stuff and that's OK I also fully encourage him to leave his toys that he would not want to share home etc... I also help him learn how to assertively ask for his toys back if other kids are playing with them and of course letting him know he does not have to share with children not playing correctly with his toys.... When friends come over all toys are to be shared but if he is anxious or worried about certain toys we just keep them out of sight.
  • @ElRuby this is a good way to approach this, I think. Thanks for sharing that. It also sets up similar social skills that adults use (example - I get out some gum, then offer some to you)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ElRubyElRuby member
    edited December 2015
    mellymar said:

@ElRuby this is a good way to approach this, I think. Thanks for sharing that. It also sets up similar social skills that adults use (example - I get out some gum, then offer some to you)

Exactly.. Imagine the adult who pulls out the gum and won't share "it's my gum dammit" lol... It's like attending a Christmas party and bringing a plate of cookies but getting upset when someone eats one. Socially speaking you don't have to bring cookies but if you do you really should share them. Same rule with toys.
  • We do the same thing. Anything DS wants to take to daycare or the park, we make sure he understands he needs to share. But at the park, I do not expect anyone else to share. We wait our turn, and that is whenever they are done. At school, they have a time limit on toys, so that's a little different. Either way, it is good for them to learn social skills and manners.