Minnesota Babies

Anyone at St John's or Woodwinds?

I'm debating between these two hospitals. I live very close to St John's, but am interested in a lot of the services that Woodwinds offers and was wondering if anyone has experience with either. United may be another possibility. 

Thanks so much!

Re: Anyone at St John's or Woodwinds?

• FiancB said:

I'm debating between these two hospitals. I live very close to St John's, but am interested in a lot of the services that Woodwinds offers and was wondering if anyone has experience with either. United may be another possibility. 

Thanks so much!
    I don't have any experience with either but have several friends who went to woodwinds, even driving from 40 mins - 1 hr away to go there. They all loved it.

Are you on the FB group for Twin Cities bumpies? You would get much more of a response there - most of the formerly active local bumpies moved to the FB group and don't come here anymore.
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
    Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
    AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
    RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
    Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Short LP (8 days).
    Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

• My mom works at Woodwinds, and always tells me how amazing their OB ward is. My dad works at United, and the nice thing about United is its attached to Children's, so if heaven forbid anything goes wrong with the baby, Children's NICU is right there to help. I also have an aunt who's a NICU nurse at Children's.
    If I lived in the Cities, I would have my baby at Woodwinds. I just love the environment there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @AL_TwinCities, I am on there and I may pose the question there. I am now really leaning toward Woodwinds as I've heard basically nothing but great things about it. It sounds like the only thing St John's really has over it is having a NICU and being close by, but I've now talked to people that work there and have birthed there and nobody has anything but great things to say about it. 
  • Following this post. We're also considering those two along with St. Joseph's.  Our doctor told us we would end up at Woodwinds if we toured it but it's also the furthest from our house. Have you done tours?  We went to St. Joseph's today and the tour was super informative and you got to see the maternity care center, a room, talk to the nurses, etc. 
  • I've had one baby at each of those hospitals. Had my first at St John's and my second at Woodwinds, because I wanted an unmedicated birth that time and had heard they were the best around. I have really good things to say about both of them. I'm pregnant again, this time planning a waterbirth, and haven't decided where I'll deliver yet.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Just had my third baby, my first waterbirth, at St. John's. It couldn't have been a better experience! The RN asked for my birth plan right away, after getting settled, and then made sure to do what she could to help encourage things to go the way I desired. She overheard me say that my tailbone hurt from sitting in the bed, and got a mattress overlay which was SO helpful. It was just overall really great. 
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I had my baby via c-section at St Johns and couldn't have had a better experience. My surgical team was really wonderful, especially considering that I was a nervous wreck and we got to do skin to skin in the OR while they were closing my incision. Plus the nurses were really good at helping with breast feeding and everything else. There were also lactation consultants on site and there are lots of grab and go restaurants within a few blocks of the hospital for dads. ( And a Caribou coffee too! I wanted a hot apple blast in the worst way after). Also the rooms are private and except for the water birthing room, you labor and deliver in your room as opposed having to move rooms after. 

• I also wanted to add that if you needed the Nicu for whatever reason that if you are at Woodwinds the baby would end up going to St John's anyways. I'm not sure how/if they would transfer mom, but that would be a good question to ask.
  • I live very close to Woodwinds and know many women that have gone there. I have heard a lot a great things, but a couple of my closest friends were split up from their babies because they needed a NICU and special care...and they wouldn't transfer mom?  I couldn't imagine how hard that was for them.  In both cases the babies were taken to United.  My DS was delivered at United, the only place my Dr goes because of the access to Children's, and it was a wonderful experience!  I would recommend it to anyone.  My DS's blood pressure was going down well into my pushing, and a team of three from the NICU were called down to stand by...never needed them, but it was very comforting to have them there.  All of the staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. I am extra excited for number two delivery at United, they have a brand new mother and baby center.  Everything has been remodeled and updated to create a warm, homey environment filled with today's families and technologies in mind.