August 2015 Moms

Birth control

What kind of birth control are you on? Are u happy with it? Is it safe for breast feeding?

Re: Birth control

• I've heard the mini pill is good for those who are breastfeeding. If you are concerned about birth control and breastfeeding, definitely ask your OB and see what they recommend.

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The mini pill is the only thing i'm aware of besides condoms for birth control, but my Dr. keeps telling me now that i'm no longer breastfeeding that i need to get on a real pill or an IUD asap as its just not as effective, so beware. I'm terrified, because i have to finish this pack before switching to a real pill or have a period to get the mirena and hubby is trying to make up for lost time. 3 kids and I'm done. No more surprises please!

• Loading the player...
  • hclzmm14hclzmm14 member
    edited December 2015
    I got the paragard a few weeks ago. It's a hormonal free birth control so I believe it's safe for BFing (I'm FFing so it doesn't matter to me.) The most common side effect is heavier periods but mine are light anyway so this doesn't matter to me. I haven't had my period with it so we will see how it goes. I also believe the Skyla IUD and Mirena IUD are safe for BFing because they have no estrogen. I had like no pain at all getting it placed. It felt like a bad period cramp for like ten seconds. And I was scared shitless and for no reason! It really wasn't bad. And I don't have to worry about it for 10 years if I have no issues.

ETA that paragard is an IUD.
  • I got the mirena iud at my 6 week follow up. It's progesterone only and hasn't affected my supply at all. I had it before baby for 4 years and love it.
  • A few days ago I went and got the nexplanon implant. I was on the mini pills for a while but I couldn't remember to take the darn things daily and I need something where I don't really need to think about it. I LOVE the patch but since I'm breastfeeding the patch unfortunately is not an option for me :(.  I know it's kinda early but so far I don't have any symptoms except for slight soreness where they implanted the nexplanon. It was a fairly quick procedure, about 20 minutes total.  I will post an update maybe about a month later if I have any adverse side effects but I feel pretty great now.