Health & Exercise

Fitness and Workouts throughout Pregnancy

I've always done Zumba, yoga, and free weights prior to pregnancy. Love fitness and healthy eating! I am about 5-6 weeks pregnant with Baby #2. Tonight was Zumba cardio and during the workout I felt fine and was pushing myself like I always do. We did do a lot of jumps, turns, salsa, etc. My body is used to it! But after Zumba, I felt dizzy for the first time ever! I sat down on a chair at the gym and just rested. Drive home I had to pull over because I still needed to cool down. I had not eaten a real snack since lunch time-which is not like me. I am always eating 2-3 hours. My guess was that I overworked myself and low blood sugar due to pregnancy. It's hard to slow down since I am not feeling pregnant yet. I have no symptoms other than sore breasts. Has anyone ever had this dizziness after workouts happen? With my first I did a lot of walking and stuck to just that as my workout. I'm a teacher so with my first, my classroom was upstairs so I did 2 sets of stairs every day about 3-4 times a day also. Any suggestions for workouts? I have learned myself a lesson that's for sure. To just listen to your body! Maybe I need to stick to yoga and light workouts. What do you do for workouts?

Re: Fitness and Workouts throughout Pregnancy

• DH and I are just starting to TTC, but a co-worker of mine told me that she did a lot of yoga during her pregnancy, and was even teaching classes. She said it helped big time with the labor pains as it make it easier to breathe through contractions. I'm looking into starting a class or two per week, as I am a teacher as well. 

I personally love walking and could walk all day, if given the chance. :) 

I don't know if this helps you at all, and I know this is quite a bit later than your original post. 
  • Thanks love! This week I've taken a break from working out simply because of how busy I've been with my family and planning my mom's 50th birthday bash for this Sat. I will be starting back up after this weekend. I did get a little scare but I will start back up the on yoga! I love doing yoga and could do it all the time. I will stick to that and elliptical to start back up. Thanks so much!
  • Loading the player...
  • Good luck on your journey by the way! Keep me posted!!!
  • Will do! I'm in the midst of the TWW currently, it's torture, but I have been able to get in to do some yoga. It's been a big help. 

I hope your mom's 50th goes well! We're starting the planning process for my parents' 60th birthday bashes. They will have no idea, it's so much fun. :) 

Please keep me posted as well!
  • Yes, pregnancy is definitely a good time to take it easy and to be kind to yourself.  I stuck pretty close to my pre-preg routine, but at a very modified intensity. I incorporated several pregnancy-specific workout videos (both YouTube and DVDs), as they helped keep me at an appropriate level, while still challenging myself.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• @mindaa - Any links to YouTube videos? I can't always get to classes at the gym, so having some videos would be nice. Or what DVDs do you recommend? Thanks! 
  • @mindaa - Any links to YouTube videos? I can't always get to classes at the gym, so having some videos would be nice. Or what DVDs do you recommend? Thanks! 
    I tried a bunch of Youtube videos depending on what mood I was in. The ones I went back to were the 10-minute solution pilates and the PopSugar workouts. My favorite DVD was Fit & Sleek Prenatal Physique.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Hey everyone! Definitely check out the pregnancy workouts by Autumn Calabrese.  She is the creator of the 21-day fix- idk if anyone's heard of that.  But they're great because they split up the videos into trimesters so you know everything you're doing is 100% safe and effective! 
  • Thank you so much ladies! My workouts have gotten a lot better. No dizzy episodes as I hab gotten smarter about continuing to eat every 2-3 hours. I have been doing yoga, elliptical, YouTube barre, and I will be checking out Autumn Calabrese's workouts! Thanks ladies!!! Let's stay fit and healthy together!!!
  • Great to hear!!
  • Prenatal yoga is a dream!! :) Mumberry has a great YouTube Channel with preggo workout videos you can do at home, too :)https://blog.mumberry.com/post/136111742287/prenatalyoga

• Yes to yoga and light workouts! I go to Yoga once a week and just recently started doing Autumn Calabrese's Beachbody program: https://www.beachbody.com/product/bod/exclusive/pregnancy-workouts-exercises.do

They've been a great mix for me to keep active without pushing myself too hard.
  • I go to Shred415 3-4 times a week. I love the classes and my doc said I can continue them no problem (will have to modify some once I'm 20 weeks)
  • alekssalekss member
    I've been doing yoga two times a week since the beginning of my pregnancy, and I feel great! This pregnancy is so much easier on me than with my firstborn.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • The dizziness is due to generalized blood vessel dilation and other physiologic changes, not necessarily low blood sugar. SO much changes during pregnancy, and zumba may not be best but with my workouts I found that compression socks helped (less blood pooling in my legs) and I do elliptical as cardio so if I get light headed I can just slow down and hold the handles or stop. I used to run on the treadmill but I worry about falling off :(

For weights I too am trying to figure out a plan. I used to do squats, cleans, etc but even when I tried with light weight I got dizzy. I think I will work on cable machines for now and see how it goes. I'm barely 6 weeks and already noticing changes!
  • It sounds like it was probably low blood sugar. Your blood pressure should lower across your pregnancy as well, so that might have exacerbated it. 
  • It definitely sounds like low blood sugar here. I had little spells like this once or twice when I was firing on all cylinders before I really "felt pregnant." I think as long as you stay on top of that, keep yourself hydrated and like you said listen to your body you should be okay to keep going! 

As for what I'm doing, I've been feeling a little sluggish lately so I've just been doing yoga with Beachbody's 3 week yoga retreat program: https://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/3-week-yoga-retreat-beginners.do. I have to modify a few of the positions right now, but it does wonders for my back.
  • birthe76240birthe76240 Just Joined
    edited April 2020
    **Removed for TOU Violation**
  • Yes, being gentle with yourself and taking it easy during pregnancy is absolutely a good idea. Prenatal yoga, hatha yoga, and restorative yoga are the best types of yoga for pregnant women. Be careful to avoid hot yoga, which involves doing vigorous poses in a room heated to greater temperatures.
    You don't need to do very extensive workouts to see the benefits of exercise. Prenatal yoga is a low-impact fitness routine that can help improve your mood as well as sleep, increase your strength and flexibility, and decrease lower back pain and many other common symptoms of pregnancy.
  • I heard a lot about prenatal yoga and I see here that everyone are happy with it so it's time to try it!