Toddlers: 24 Months+

Potty accidents

My son is 2.5 and has been potty trained for around 4-5 months. Lately he has been having a lot of accidents, mostly when he stays at my MILs house. At home he will ask to go potty even while playing with toys or watching a show and I also ask him to go every 1-2 hours anyway. At her house lately he's been peeing in people's laps, while sitting and watching a show, or just while playing. I know some of these things he gets engrossed in, but I'm wondering if he just knows her house is more relaxed on the rules so he just does it cause he can. Today alone he had 4 accidents. At home he rarely has an accident. I just don't want to have a regression like this. Especially cause I'm due in 7 weeks. Any advice/ideas?

Re: Potty accidents

• Can you ask MIL to follow the same practice you do at home - taking him potty every few hours?

My first was potty trained around the same time and had a similar regression. She would just wait too long b/c she was distracted and was often on her way to the bathroom (or in there standing in front of the toilet) when she had her accidents. We had to get serious about encouraging her to go on a given frequency again for a short while.

Going on people's laps is pretty intense. Does he get upset by the accidents? Have you seen any other regression (sleep maybe) since you've been pregnant?
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• He is not acting bothered by the accidents at all. He has been having a weird fear regression. He's typically been a fearless rough kid, and lately when the dogs are barking he'll come sit by me and say "momma scary" and is sometimes afraid of the vacuum but other times wants to help me vacuum. He's also been clingier at bedtime. Maybe this is an overall regression because of baby on the way?

• Loading the player...
  • That's what I was thinking. He's probably trying to cope with the fact that he's not gonna be the baby anymore. DD1 was 3.5 when we got pregnant with #2. She was a kid that LOVED doing everything by herself as soon as she could (getting dressed, potty/washing hands, brushing teeth, etc). Once she knew baby was coming and as it got closer she regressed on all of this independent behavior. Baby is 12 weeks and she still isn't fully back to her "normal" but with lots of love and reassurance that she is still super important, she is slowly getting back there.

I hope this is a phase that passes quickly!

Ps...congrats on #2!
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15