Birth Stories

Birth after a tear/episiotomy?

I am due with my second in March and my Dr informed me that because of my bad tear and episiotomy with my first delivery it might be better for me to have a c-section with this one. I'm just confused and unsure of how to proceed. I hadn't thought it was this big of a deal. Has anyone delivered fine after going through a previous episiotomy or tear? Did it tear again? Any input would be welcome. Thanks.

Re: Birth after a tear/episiotomy?

• I don't agree with your doctor. I'm not a doctor so take it as an opinion not fact. I had an episiotomy with my first, had a super tiny year with my second (got one stitch just donut didn't burn when I peed), and my third (now two weeks old) I didn't tear or anything.
  • I had a third degree tear and episiotomy with my first. I had a different doctor for my second, and I purposely never mentioned that I tore. During the birth he had me wait out the last contraction even though the nurses wanted me to push. I asked him after and he said I didn't tear at all and seemed surprised that I tore with my first. Maybe try to get a second opinion?
    TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favourite Holiday Movie Moment

• Loading the player...
  • I have 2.  Tore with my first (epis which led to 3rd degree) but not second.  I have no idea how doctors determine need for c-section based on past deliveries though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • I tore with my first because the stupid Dr wasn't paying attention... I don't know the degree but to me it was horrible... With my second child he was 8 lbs 12 oz and I didn't tear at all... I agree to maybe getting a second opinion.
  • I am due with my second in March and my Dr informed me that because of my bad tear and episiotomy with my first delivery it might be better for me to have a c-section with this one. I'm just confused and unsure of how to proceed. I hadn't thought it was this big of a deal. Has anyone delivered fine after going through a previous episiotomy or tear? Did it tear again? Any input would be welcome. Thanks.
    This seems like a gross over-reaction by your doctor. I've had two (living) vaginal births. My first I had 2nd degree tears and second I had 3rd degree tears. When I get to having a third (if I do, oy) I'm sure my doctor will just recommend not going too crazy hard on the pushing and trying to lubricate the skin while baby's head is coming out. Jumping to C section is just over the top.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I had a tear with my first and gave birth in the water. That labor was 7hrs with 1.5 hrs pushing. My skin had plenty of time to stretch, but still tore. My second was born outside of water and pushed for 15 minutes, no tear! I think your dr is just being lazy to be honest. But go with what you feel is best for you and baby!
  • BigboobsmcgeeBigboobsmcgee member
    edited December 2015
    I am due with my second in March and my Dr informed me that because of my bad tear and episiotomy with my first delivery it might be better for me to have a c-section with this one. I'm just confused and unsure of how to proceed. I hadn't thought it was this big of a deal. Has anyone delivered fine after going through a previous episiotomy or tear? Did it tear again? Any input would be welcome. Thanks.
    This seems like a gross over-reaction by your doctor. I've had two (living) vaginal births. My first I had 2nd degree tears and second I had 3rd degree tears. When I get to having a third (if I do, oy) I'm sure my doctor will just recommend not going too crazy hard on the pushing and trying to lubricate the skin while baby's head is coming out. Jumping to C section is just over the top.

Exactly. I had an almost 4th degree tear with my first child and my OB never once even brought up the possibility of a C-section with my second child because of this. I know everyone is different but this seems strange to me. I ended up having my 2nd child med free after about 15 minutes of pushing and I hardly tore with her. Both my kids were 9 lbs at birth too!
  • I had an episiotomy with my first and my OB hasn't mentioned a concern for the 2nd. Although he didn't deliver at the hospital, during the throes of labor, I said just give me the c-section. The OB on call asked if I wanted more children, and I said yes, so she said it was better to try vaginally. Ultimately, it's up to you whether you're comfortable going in that direction or with your OB at all for recommending it.