May 2016 Moms
Options

Twins!!!

I am a first time mother, and I found out at 12w that I am expecting mono/di twins! From the EARLY looks of things, they will be identical girls!!

I'm so excited to start my family, but now I'm stressing about my symptoms! I had terrible morning sickness during the first trimester, to the point where I actally lost a couple pounds. Now my sickness is gone, but I'm having terrible pain in my right side, both hips, and pelvic region in general! Every time I go to the doctor, all of my blood and urine tests are fine, but I'm still considering drastically decreasing my hours...

I'm only 16 weeks, but I work at a very busy restaurant/bar/coffee shop in the heart of downtown where I'm constantly running around, bending over, reaching up,... etc. From what I've seen, this is really early for me to start considering taking a break, but the pain gets unbearable and I end up having to recover for several days after some shifts!

Basically, how are you all coping with work and growing pains? Am I being a whiney butt, or is this normal? What have been your experiences??

Re: Twins!!!

• Options
    Sounds like round ligament pain. I will be a FTM too, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that carrying two babies causes twice the discomfort. Tylenol has worked for me for all my ouchies so far. Also, being a server is a very physical job, which is naturally going to exacerbate things. I know that all too well. I'm a zookeeper, and walk on average 8-10 miles a day, as well as shoveling, moving around 50lb bags of feed, and 80 lb bales of hay. Yesterday was an EASY day and I came home hobbling, and fell asleep at 7:30.

Just take it easy when you can, and listen to your body. Pregnancy is hard. More so for you. You are growing 2 human beings! Nobody dare say you are whining about anything, not even you.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My friend just had twin girls a few weeks ago. She was off work for most of her pregnancy and she's glad she did!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just found out at the 17 wk US that Baby B has Velamentous Cord Insertion. The doctors just said that I'm going to be coming in every 2 weeks now, but I was wondering if there is anything I could do to ensure that she is getting enough fluids, oxygen, and nutrients?! I love them so much already, and I just want them to be okay.
  • Options
    I'm having di/di twins and I have a son who won't yet be 2 when they're born. I'm jealous your morning sickness has stopped! I'm with you on the aches and pains. You are not being whiny or a wimp, this is literally one of the hardest things in the world to do and you also have a hard job! I do daycare so I'm lifting 30# kids all day for diaper changes and carrying them upstairs for nap. My hips and knees are awful after work.

If you need to vent as the months go by, I'm here and I understand!!!
  • Options
    @auntieembabes Not having twins, just doing a drive-by through here and saw your comment - one of my best friends is a twin and also has a brother one year older and a sister who is four years older. Older sister is having babies now, and his mom is like a superhero grandma! Has eyes on the back of her head and absolutely nothing phases her. You're in store for a lot of work but basically will be invincible once you get through it!
  • Options
    My last pregnancy was a di/di twin pregnancy.  At the time I was working full time as an RN.  I wish that I had listened to my body and left work sooner.  My pregnancy was not great, but I kept working because I wanted more time on maternity leave.  My advice is to listen to your body an be your own advocate! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    I agree. Listen to your body. I'm on my feet all day with my job. I was training two new hires today, and at one point, I looked at them and was like, I'm going to sit here, let me know if you need help. It was a relief to sit for awhile. I kept telling myself that my body really needed a rest, and they're training, they'll learn the real workload while I sit a few minutes. They seemed to understand. Especially since I worked an hour last my scheduled time! I was beat.
    I am only carrying one, I cannot imagine two. Way to go!