Formula Feeding

Tongue Issue w/Bottles

I recently gave up BF and switched to formula because the BF was not a success. LO is now 5 days old (FTM), since FF I noticed that he would spit out a good amount for formula. Upon further review it looks like his tongue is gravitating towards the top of his mouth so it must be getting in the way and sending the formula back out. I'm currently using Avent naturals. I wasn't able to get him to use the Avent Soothie pacifier but he loves the NUK. Was thinking maybe if I got new bottles with a nipple like the NUK it might help. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Re: Tongue Issue w/Bottles

• Do you mean baby is dribbling formula out while drinking or spitting up after drinking? If the first, maybe try slower flow nipples, not necessarily different bottle. Milk might be overfilling baby's mouth. If it's after feeding, then maybe try feeding smaller portions. Their tummies are really small at this point.
  • Well it's not really dribbling. He has some that dribbles out and then everyone in a while some squirts out of his mouth with some force, but it's not spit up. I'm using the nipples that came on the bottles, so I assumed those were slow flow already. Looks like just one hole is present.
  • Loading the player...
  • Just wanted to update incase anyone else had the same problem. So a friend of mine suggested to use the combo she did. So we used a Medela bottle with a Dr. Brown level 1 nipple and we had success! Driddles were minimal and a lot less spit up!
  • rue:Drue:D member
    edited December 2015

Just wanted to update incase anyone else had the same problem. So a friend of mine suggested to use the combo she did. So we used a Medela bottle with a Dr. Brown level 1 nipple and we had success! Driddles were minimal and a lot less spit up!

The Avent Naturals come with a level 1 nipple. They do make a preemie/first flow nipple as well but it's hard to find (Babies R Us carries them). Just a thought if you want to keep using those bottles. :) I have a friend whose daughter couldn't use the level 1s because they were too fast, so she used the preemie ones for at least six weeks.
  • @rue:D thank you! I'll take a look at them when I return the unopened ones.
  • I use Avent Naturals and had to get the preemie nipples for my DS even though he was a big baby (9 lb 12 oz) bc of the same thing you described. He did well on them for a while. We eventually started using Enfamil AR formula and went back to the #1 nipples and it's working out even better. I got the preemie nipples for Avent on Amazon: 

Philips AVENT BPA Free Natural Newborn Flow Nipples, 2-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HKOL5G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_FbvQwbRRD8F7E

They're an add-on item so you need a $25 cart to get them. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Has the pediatrician ever said anything about tongue tie? My friends son had that. He had a hard time breastfeeding and bottle feeding.
  • Has the pediatrician ever said anything about tongue tie? My friends son had that. He had a hard time breastfeeding and bottle feeding.
    I think we're dealing with an upper lip tie with DS :( I'm going to see if I can get him into his pedi this week to look at it. The AR works great, but it constipated him, so we went back to the size 0 nipples and doing a half and half with the AR and some newborn formula we got as a sample. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers