May 2016 Moms

Botox 2nd trimester on...

Is anyone continuing their Botox while pregnant? I haven't talked to my Dr. about it yet. But, I'm seeing a bunch of conflicting reports online.  Of course I'll do what the Dr. says. Just curious what everyone is doing?

Re: Botox 2nd trimester on...

• Loading the player...
  • I don't do Botox yet but used to work with cosmetic surgeons for a living and none would touch a pregnant patient since it's a "poison". However, some would do hyalauronic acid fillers (i.e. restylane) since that's found naturally in the body. If you're feeling very self-conscious, that may work for you. If it's for headaches or sweating though, that's pretty useless.
  • Botox is botulinum toxin. Safe or not I don't think I would put botulism in my body while I'm pregnant.
  • Really? Buy some more makeup. No unnecessary chemicals or toxins should enter your body while pregnant.  
  • Also not recommended while nursing sooooo if you're planning on breastfeeding it may be awhile...

• I love my cosmetic Botox!!! But I did stop prior to getting pregnant and will abstain from Botox thru my pregnancy and nursing on the advice of my doctors (Both my OB and med spa say it's counter indicated for pregnancy/breastfeeding). I totally miss it tho, I get wonderful natural looking results that I've been very happy with. For me I'm trying to be extra nice to my skin and have splurged on Dr Hauschka products in stead (the results are not like Botox) but I feel the texture and health of my skin has improved and it's helping me w/ that pregnancy glow! All the best on finding a pregnancy friendly beauty routine that works for you!!

• I LOVE my Botox and miss it too! Evidently, it's not going to be recommended for me during pregnancy:(  Too all those who are saying get mud masks, more makeup etc...I guess you have not tried Botox. It's awesome and cannot be compared to that. I'd highly recommend it to you if you need an appearance refresher after baby is born and you are very tired all the time! :)
  • I hate to admit it, but @40mom is right. Botox is a wonder. I haven't used it myself, but have a couple friends who do and they look seriously good. You hit a certain age and look in the mirror and think "Who is that old lady?" And then you start thinking about botox. 

Unfortunately, my husband is a chemist and goes crazy when I mention it to him. Because, chemicals. 

Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• yogahhyogahh member
    edited December 2015
    vinerie said:
    I hate to admit it, but @40mom is right. Botox is a wonder. I haven't used it myself, but have a couple friends who do and they look seriously good. You hit a certain age and look in the mirror and think "Who is that old lady?" And then you start thinking about botox. 

Unfortunately, my husband is a chemist and goes crazy when I mention it to him. Because, chemicals. 

**************QBF
    I'm sure it is. But sticking a needle in my face that is full of chemicals (am I wrong, or isnt it made up of dead people skin cells?) just sounds horrifying! 

cat fail animated GIF

• Botox is not only for cosmetic procedures. My friend receives Botox injections to treat her chronic migraines.
  • yogahh said:

vinerie said:

I hate to admit it, but @40mom is right. Botox is a wonder. I haven't used it myself, but have a couple friends who do and they look seriously good. You hit a certain age and look in the mirror and think "Who is that old lady?" And then you start thinking about botox. 

**************QBF
    I'm sure it is. But sticking a needle in my face that is full of chemicals (am I wrong, or isnt it made up of dead people skin cells?) just sounds horrifying! 

Oh no. It's full of BOtulinum TOXin. Aka: botulism. That really awful food poisoning that you can get that could kill you. Botulism is why they tell you not to open any bulging can.

• Kurrant said:
    I don't mean for this to sound rude but I find the comment "I don't do Botox Yet" to be kinda strange and funny . . . Is this a standard thing that women are now just expected to do? I'm not digging at people who have botox or any other cosmetic prosedure done but it's just not for everyone.
    Sadly, yes. I'm so torn on the topic as I don't think I should have to resort to such things. But the reality is society really shames aging women. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Botox is not only for cosmetic procedures. My friend receives Botox injections to treat her chronic migraines.

This. I suffered from migraines from the 3rd grade until I was 21, and Botox was offered as a treatment. I never used it, but evidently it is very helpful for migraine sufferers.
  • 40mom said:

I LOVE my Botox and miss it too! Evidently, it's not going to be recommended for me during pregnancy:(  Too all those who are saying get mud masks, more makeup etc...I guess you have not tried Botox. It's awesome and cannot be compared to that. I'd highly recommend it to you if you need an appearance refresher after baby is born and you are very tired all the time! :)
    Yeah that's what we were saying...I guess we don't understand.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Kurrant said:

I don't mean for this to sound rude but I find the comment "I don't do Botox Yet" to be kinda strange and funny . . . Is this a standard thing that women are now just expected to do? I'm not digging at people who have botox or any other cosmetic prosedure done but it's just not for everyone.

I like making a face at someone and them know what I'm wanting to say without having to talk. Its just not for me either.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

I knew a guy who was a surgeon, and he said they use botox during surgeries all the time. 
  • No offense to anyone here, everyone should do what they want to do.

But... am I the only one who has never been fooled by botox? I can spot it from a mile away and I never think "wow, they look so young for their age I wonder how they do it," I think "wow, that lady looks botox-y." It's just the new way to look old.
    Yes, its in the nose when they smile. Look at Courtney Cox circa Friends, then look at her in Cougar Town. The skin around her nose does this really weird thing. Dead give away!

cat fail animated GIF

• I don't personally have an opinion, but DH works in advertising and got an RFP for something surrounding Botox. After reading the brief he was adamant that I never even entertain the idea of getting it. Apparently they disclosed a ton of info as part of their "challenge" section, and he was horrified at the prospect of me even potentially doing it.

I'll just keep slathering myself with overpriced face creams and getting facials. Hopefully by the time we are in our 70s it will be more accepted to age gracefully?

It is really disappointing that men look "distinguished" as they age and women have to constantly continue upkeep just so people don't think "oh wow, she needs Botox".
  • No offense to anyone here, everyone should do what they want to do.

But... am I the only one who has never been fooled by botox? I can spot it from a mile away and I never think "wow, they look so young for their age I wonder how they do it," I think "wow, that lady looks botox-y." It's just the new way to look old.
    Watch politicians, tons of them get it. Once you spot it, you can never unsee it. And not just women- tons of the male politicians get it, too (along with lots of other cosmetic procedures). 
  • @Pascal86 I was really not trying to be a hater but I do see how my comment could be read that way. It was insensitive of me. Apologies if I hurt anyone's feelings!

I just wish our society would accept that women age and allow us to do so gracefully.
  • @LadySamLady - I understand where you're coming from, I think a lot of it is regional attitudes though! I have a friend from Aspen, and she always talks about how it's SO common there to have had work, it's almost like a rite of passage. I'm in the PNW where you definitely get weird looks if you've had work, so I guess I'm way more used to hearing the super-judgey attitudes of people who look down on anyone who gets something done, and I get sick of it.

I also think that it would be way cooler if no woman ever felt the need to get work done, wear makeup or high heels, or shave the hair off their body, but I also don't expect every woman ever to defy the societal pressures or cultural norms. I just feel lucky to have grown up around people who don't pay very much attention to this stuff.
  • missnc77 said:

@LadySamLady I imagine botox is a lot like fake breasts. Over doing it or bad jobs is so easy to spot that it makes you think it's noticeable on everyone. But when you use in moderation or don't go overboard, it's hard to know.

Exactly. Then people think "I always know the people who have had work done" when in fact, they are judging exclusively from the poorly done work.

Remember that any doctor can technically perform cosmetic surgery, with or without additional accreditation. You get what you pay for, what you research, etc. So if your dentist did your Botox, you may end up with a plastic-faced look.

Regarding my previous "I don't have Botox YET" comment and the replies thereto - no I do not feel it's a "necessity" for all women. That's a big leap to have made from my original comment IMO. I just know that there are some wrinkles forming now that I see deeply formed in other women in my family, that I will personally want to fill in the future.

I live and grew in Miami and this is a very normal practice here, I don't think any less of anybody who does/doesn't, so discussing it openly and reading OP's question doesn't carry a sense of faux pas as it may in a geo location where this is less normal. It just doesn't make me weep for womankind, I suppose.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs