August 2016 Moms

Healthy Mama Check In

One of my goals with this pregnancy is to stay healthy and active. As I am planning a home birth, I want to be in my best pregnancy-shape possible. I thought it would be great to do a weekly check in for anyone wanting some accountability or general motivation/tips. 

My goal this last week has been to indulge only once a day (holidays, yo) and to stay on top of my water intake. My goal is 120 oz a day. So far I really have been doing well. I start back at the gym tomorrow (wasn't going because I THOUGHT I was sick, and then it was the holiday.) I will do elliptical and weights. What is your plan? 

Baby O born 7/17/12

Baby T born 7/12/14
Baby3 due 8/4/16
<3

Re: Healthy Mama Check In

• My plan is to eat healthy like I always do and walk.
  • Over the couple of years and mc's I have really been focused on my health. I plan to eat clean (although first trimester will probably really test my strength) and continue yoga.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been pretty active since DS was born - I've run multiple races ranging from 5k to half marathon and I do cardio and resistance training at least 3x a week. I plan to cut back on the high intensity/high impact cardio because I'm paranoid about everything post-loss and I need to start eating more fruits and veggies. Goal is to not have a 10lb baby and not need a csection so I might be back to the chiropractor too.

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• I was actually just thinking about this this morning.  I am overall healthy and eat well, but exercise could be amped up.  I am not going to start anything to strenuous since I am already pregnant but maybe just walking 3x a week or something.  I swelled pretty bad with my daughter so would love to reduce that if I can.
  • This is a great idea-thank you! Definitely going to indulge only once a day too :) I'm still really anxious so I'm going to wait to resume anything until after the first ultrasound in 2 1/2 weeks. Then if everything looks great I plan to start yoga at the fertility center I go to and elliptical.
  • I've been counting calories forever, but now I plan on really focusing on eating more nutrient-dense foods, and cutting down on the processed stuff. Just went grocery shopping and bought a bunch of kale, broccoli, squash, sweet potaotes, and Greek yogurt :-)

As far as exercise goes, I plan on doing some light cardio and strength training at least a few times a week.
    Me: 28
    DH: 31
    Married: May 2015
    1 Furbaby
    BFP 11/27/15
    EDD 8/4/16

• I definitely want to eat healthier. I want to try to cook as many of my meals as possible, eat lots of lean protein and veggies, and try to eat lots of colors every day and nothing processed or premade. 

I have not been doing any exercise. With a unicornuate uterus, my risk of m/c, PTL, and IUGR is really high so I want to speak with my RE/OB/MFM docs before taking up any exercise. 
    Married 09/2014
    BFP #1 11/19/15 | DS 07/16/2016
    BFP #2 09/03/17 | EDD 05/17/2018
  • I'm going to continue running at least 2x a week as long as I can. Did a half marathon 8 weeks pregnant last time. Have signed up for a triathlon mid feb I hope to still be able to do (it's a small one). I use a heart rate monitor to keep my body from pushing too hard. I eat I pretty clean and want to keep sugar intake very low, which will be harrrrd this Xmas! Finally I use an app called pregnancy pounds to keep myself at a healthy weight during pregnancy. It helped me a lot last time to make food choices and also lost weight easily after as I didn't gain an excessive amount, :) hoping for that again.
  • I got to the gym today! I ran a mile hill on treadmill (.5 mile up, .5 mile flat), did rows, free weights, squats, and some abs. I have to be careful because last pregnancy I tore an abdominal muscle. But I know strengthening them will help when I get big and keeping up with my boys. But I don't think organic non-GMO kale is very pat-on-the-back worthy when you add it to fettuccine alfredo....

Baby O born 7/17/12

Baby T born 7/12/14
    Baby3 due 8/4/16
    <3
  • Totally agree, a strong core is key, makes last three months a bit easier. Mmmmmm fettuccine Alfredo
  • This is a great idea! I'm trying to eat healthier and get as much walking in as I can. I'm usually a runner, but it just makes me nervous right now. I've been having a lot of dizzy spells and hot flashes, so maybe I'll feel better about running if/when that goes a way.

So far, eating healthier has been easier for me. All food sounds nasty to me, so I just try to eat as much healthy stuff as I can. When everything tastes bad, you might as well eat healthy, right?

• I gain so much weight with my last son, and I was in the track to gestational diabetes. This time I'm going to keep my nutrition in line as I have been the past year and not let myself I'm pregnant I'll eat what I want excuse.

Also, I had such bad Round ligament pain last time as opposed to my first time, I could hardly walk. I've been going to the gym 3-4x a week since May and I will continue that. I actually just got back from the gym and hour ago :smile: I REFUSE to be in the same place as last time!!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I've been doing crossfit for the past 3 months and hope to continue. Along with walking and yoga b
  • @meg32il - so fun to meet a fellow Crossfitter. I've been doing it for 2 years and I'm SO bummed I cannot do it during pregnancy because of being high-risk. I am already going a little crazy... can't wait to get back into it postpartum! 
    Married 09/2014
    BFP #1 11/19/15 | DS 07/16/2016
    BFP #2 09/03/17 | EDD 05/17/2018
  • KJ1416KJ1416 member
    edited December 2015
    I'm in!

Since I'm not sick yet, I'm focusing on eating healthy now. Last time the only way I kept the nausea away way was snacking on carbs through out the day...which did not help my weight!

My goal is to eat fruits and veggies everyday and to limit sugar/carbs. As for exercise I plan to work out 2-3 times a week. I'm going to get a Fitbit for Christmas so I monitor my heart rate and keep it below 165.

I look forward to hearing from everyone each week. Good luck ladies!
  • Boo, I will be missing Zumba this morning and cannot gym it later because my LO is super sick= no childcare. Yesterday, my food was good but my water wasn;t as high as I would like. 

Baby O born 7/17/12

Baby T born 7/12/14
    Baby3 due 8/4/16
    <3
  • I'll continue with healthy eating and exercise.

with my son I worked out 5 days a week until 37 weeks when I decided I wanted to be a little lazy:)

Monday's I do RIPPED, through the week I use the elliptical, and Saturday's I take a zumba class.
  • Do you guys have any suggestions for some good pregnancy exercises that DON'T need a gym membership?

I own a yoga mat, two 10lb free weights, and my husband has a rowing machine. Is rowing ok to do while pregnant?
  • @DataMom YouTube has great yoga videos. Rowing would probably be okay for the time being but probably not after the next 3-4 weeks
  • DataMom said:
    Do you guys have any suggestions for some good pregnancy exercises that DON'T need a gym membership?

I own a yoga mat, two 10lb free weights, and my husband has a rowing machine. Is rowing ok to do while pregnant?
    I would talk to your doctor. I am going with the guideline, that pretty much anything you did before is fine until it is uncomfortable. What types of things did you do prior?

Baby O born 7/17/12

Baby T born 7/12/14
    Baby3 due 8/4/16
    <3
  • DataMomDataMom member
    edited December 2015
    @sunflower717 I never really advanced beyond beginner, but I would jog, do yoga, and bike (bike a lot). But, I don't feel up to a lot of heavy cardio now. I feel a bit faint if my heart rate increases too much.