Late Term and Child Loss

Losing one twin

Last Monday almost starting to be 28 weeks pregnant with twin girls, I had an ultrasound and found out that Baby A had low amniotic fluid and no heartbeat. I'm really devastated from the loss and doctors were shocked as to why this could have happened (especially since this was a didi twin pregnancy). My ultrasound before this one was 10 days ago (because doctors were concerned about my short cervix) and both babies were doing great, so it's really shocking how I can lose one baby in a short amount of time. I gained a lot of cervical length back that day, but I would rather have my baby back. Doctors don't want to induce me quite yet to deliver Baby B as they think 28 weeks is still too early and are waiting for me to reach at least 34 weeks if all goes well. The fact that I have to carry a stillborn until delivery day breaks my heart into a million pieces.

I was admitted to the hospital for a few days for close monitoring for the surviving baby (Baby B) and I had some blood tests that can help determine what caused Baby A to die. I still don't know the results as that would take some time, but doctors are telling me that it is a possibility that we may never know the cause at all. I was even told some risks I might have such as placental abruption from Baby A's placenta since she's basically rotting away and if I get extreme abdominal pain and bleeding, I need to call the ambulance and have them take me to the nearest hospital where they can either stabilize me or deliver Baby B immediately. I was also told that I'm more prone to infection and need to stay away from people who are sick, even with the common cold.

Has anyone had similar experiences over losing a twin (especially in a didi twin pregnancy)? It's been so hard and I'm crying every single day. I'm praying so much that Baby B does not have the same fate as Baby A and that she comes to this world healthy and strong so I can take her home and watch her grow.

Re: Losing one twin

• rue:Drue:D member
    edited November 2015
    This is what happened to me (although I believe my twins were mo/di - they never could get a good visualization to see if it was one placenta or two pushed together, but they thought identical). At 27w both babies were the same size and everything looked great. We went in for another u/s at 31w and baby B had no heartbeat. I was referred to a MFM who couldn't see anything that may have caused it. She referred me to a pediatric cardiologist (for other reasons) who did a fetal echo on A and said it looked like it may have been TTTS.

At any rate the MFM said it was fine to carry A, as long as the amniotic sac around B didn't rupture. She wanted me to deliver no later than 37w (I ended up delivering via c-section at 37w5d because my OB was on vacation until then). I saw my OB weekly after that, and the MFM the last two weeks for ultrasounds and NSTs until delivery.

I'm so sorry for your loss...it is so tough knowing that you have to keep carrying the baby that passed away in order to give the other one a fighting chance. Especially at this late stage when you've already mentally prepared yourself for having two babies. It's a unique situation that I have not found anyone personally has experienced. If you need anyone to talk to or advice please feel free to message me.
  • I have no experience with a twin pregnancy. I lost my son at 39 weeks from a cord accident. I just wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss and I will be thinking of you and your family as you await the arrival of your other child. Prayers for a safe and healthy delivery.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so so sorry to see this. I don't have specific advice but I want you to know that we are here for you. Hugs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• I don't have any advice for your situation, but I wanted to say how sorry I am for the loss of your baby. This must be incredibly difficult. Hugs to you and your family.
  • MoDiSafetyMoDiSafety member
    edited November 2015
    I am very sorry for your Loss. I wanted to mention to you that long as the uterine environment remains Sealed, nothing "rots" in there. My son Morgan Mark Aaron was born 5 weeks after he died. He was Whole & undisturbed. His brother Brian Raymond Lee followed him 38 hours later. God Damn You TTTS.
  • MoDiSafetyMoDiSafety member
    edited November 2015
    rue:D, you have much company indeed. Look for 'TTTS:Survivors with Guardian Angels' on Facebook, administered by Jodie Tummers. I have nothing but sympathy & kindness for you, I have to say here I have quite the opposite for your Inept medical team that coudn't seem to figure out whether you were MoDi or not then waited 4 weeks between scans & probably never even bothered to measure fluids around them. It is no surprise they were Clueless as to why your baby died after ignoring the SMFM recommendations for MoDi Twins pregnancy surveillance. She Shouldn't call herself an MFM practicing Deadly Incompetence with you like that. I am quite sorry for your Loss.

• I just went through this in March 2016. I found your post after searching for similar stories and thought there would be none, but found yourself. I was pregnant with twin boys and went in for my last non stress test on March 29 at 37+4 weeks. I was scheduled to deliver the boys on April 1st via c section because Baby B was breech. During fetal monitoring 2 nurses and doctor could not find heartbeat on Baby B. She sent me for ultrasound and was confirmed no fetal heartbeat my heart sank. I then drove myself to the hospital for an emergency c-section with spinal while awake. My husband wasn't with me so he had to rush to get to hospital an hour and half away at normal speed. He came in right after the boys were delivered. I heard my precious Baby A cry and then silence after. We now know that I contracted a viral infection called CMV or Cytomegalovirus while pregnant for the first time which can be fatal in utero. I was so cautious while pregnant and had a very healthy pregnancy until end of February when I thought I had just a cold but that ended up being the CMV. It is so hard being excited when you just lost a baby. I feel as though I was robbed of that special and happy moment. But you also want to be strong and a good mother. 
  • I am so sorry @ibranham85 for your loss. Don't ever feel like having your surviving son means you can't grieve the loss of you one son... But be sure to love on and cherish his surviving brother! I just sent a prayer for you as you walk through this bittersweet time.