May 2016 Moms
Options

Vent

So... We "find out" the sex of the baby December 23rd. My plan was to have a reveal cake on Christmas Eve with DH and my family at dinner. WELL... DH shot his mouth off at the doc appt the other day to the scheduler about how we are only finding out bc I want too blah blah blah (I told DH this time we didn't have to find out but he said it's fine bc he knew I wanted to)... He really hammed it up. So, I asked MIL if it was ok if we did the cake Christmas Eve or did she want to wait. She's been a bit obnoxious about this whole thing anyways saying she wants to know when we know etc. Now, DH is giving the envelope with the results to his Dad the day we find out and he is going to find a cute way to tell us on Christmas Day. Great, fine,whatever, BUT DH couldn't leave it at that and had to rub it in his mom's face that his dad was going to know before her (nah nah nah boo boo style...he's my 1st born child) and she's pissed. I am pretty adamant in her especially not finding out before me bc she was so obnoxious about it anyways. Now that she knows FIL will know on the 23rd she will for sure make him sleep outside until he tells her (and it's gotten COLD). She will torture him for sure and he always gives into her. Then she'll play the "OMG I'm so surprised with everyone else" look and I'll know it's a fake. It just really ticks me off. Now I'm going to research how in the hell I read these scans so when we go on the 23rd I'll be able to detect it right there on the screen. I'm sure I'm hormonal and whiny but come on... This will be our last kid and I just wanted to do something special that everyone will be involved in at the same damn time. Is that too much to Fing ask?!
Been married since 2009.
Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
Several MCs
DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

Re: Vent

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with PP! I'd go back to the original idea of the reveal cake so everyone found out together.
  • Options
    doozer1345doozer1345 member
    edited November 2015
    @valerie4786 I wish I could but now DH is doing the whole guilt trip thing that I said "this time around we wouldn't find out but we are" even though I said we didn't have to. I'm kind of now not wanting to find out just out of spite.

@ncm0328 MIL says it's bc she has her consignment sales to go to and she has to make sure the baby has clothes etc. I think it's a total control factor to be honest.

I mean I honestly don't even care anymore about finding out and really am feeling spiteful ((hearing the Grinch song strike up)). Happy freakin Holidays!
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Options
    Just have them seal it in an envelope and give it directly to the bakery. You'll avoid some potential drama. I'd be so annoyed, too! Good luck.
    Me: 27    DH: 30
    Married in 2011
    Baby 1: Stillborn at 27 weeks (April 2014)
    Baby 2: Due May 2016

• Options
    We're having the US on the 23rd as well. Our reveal will be to send gender related presents to immediate family to let them know.
  • Options
    doozer1345 You should be able to reveal the gender however you like! like the PP's mentioned why don't you and your hubby bake a cake for everyone like your original idea. Or take the results in an envelope to a baker and have them make you a little cake? I love the boy vs. girl ornament idea, it's so simple and seams to meet all your needs so you guys can find out together. 

I'm totally in the same boat as you BTW. I told MIL I want to make a reveal cake for family, and she wants to know literally as we are exiting the doctors office and not wait a day later for me to make a cake and tell them. I just keep thinking I don't have to tell anyone if I don't want to!   
  • Options
    I'm laughing out loud over here.  Go @knottie25455542!  Wouldn't that be something... Hi, this is Knottie... I just wanted to tell you to suck it.  Okay, bye.  Happy Thanksgiving.
    Me: 27    DH: 30
    Married in 2011
    Baby 1: Stillborn at 27 weeks (April 2014)
    Baby 2: Due May 2016

• Options
    mhc13mhc13 member
    edited November 2015
    Just tell them baby wasn't cooperating and the results are inconclusive. I'm not a big fan of lying but I would be really fed up with others dictating how and when I share my news. When you feel good and ready show up with a cake since baby cooperated at your follow up u/s.
    #1 Claire 12.17.13 & #2 EDD 5.11.16

• Options
    There's no way I'd give the envelope to FIL. I'd tell DH how I feel about the whole thing. I'd either find out at the ultrasound then do a gender reveal with everyone or send a sealed envelope to the bakery. It would get under my skin if my MIL knew before me and rubbed it in my face. We're hormonal as it is. No need to put yourself in a situation where you'll get aggravated. Good luck!
  • Options
    @doozer1345 Is your husband NUTS! Why does he feel the need to cause all of this family drama at the holidays. They are fricken dramatic enough! He's just sitting here...

If it were me, I'd have the tech tell me there, axing the envelope mess (thanks to DH), and maybe have a balloon reveal on top of the cake so she doesn't drive you crazy the whole day all the way up to dessert time.

Or you can let DH do his little stir the pot idea, and banish him to his parents house the entire time so he gets to suffer with FIL too.
  • Options
    Can you just have them tell you at the appointment and then bake a reveal cake for everyone else? That way you know first and take the control back.
    I wanted to do this but now DH is playing the game of "the ball is in my court now bc we found out with DD." Honestly, this has nothing to do with the baby and everything to do with aggravating his mom and irritating me.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Options
    ..Or bring a boy ornament and a girl ornament to the appointment and have the tech put the correct one in a gift bag (covered by a lot of tissue paper). I would avoid putting your FIL in that position.
    OMG I LOVE that!!!
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Options

Wait!! Light bulb moment!!  Make the cake GREEN!!  The sheer enjoyment of making her head spin would be all the Christmas present I needed :)
    This is AWESOME.
  • Options
    Could you call the office later in the day after your appt to find out? That way you can find out first secretly but still keep the peace and act all surprised

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Stick to your original plan and have the cake.  If you want to all find out together then you should, and if your MIL doesn't like it she can suck it.  It's your baby.  Sorry I'm slightly cranky today, but it pisses me off that she feels the need to know before you even do.  And consignment sales?  That's the reason?  Please.  If it was genuine excitement that's one thing, but it sounds like she just wants to know so she can be first...and that's F*cked up (in my opinion, and as I said I'm cranky today!)  She doesn't get to be first...she already had her babies.  Arrrgghh you know what, just give me her number and I will tell her to suck it on your behalf!!!!
    I need to be able to love your comment more times!!!  PREACH!!!