Babies: 6 - 9 Months

How do you get by on rough nights?

Emily will be 7 months on December 2nd, and honestly I'm pretty lucky that she's such a great baby. Sure, there are rough days and we deal with it however we can. It makes it easy that I've got her night schedule perfected.

She goes to bed around 9 or 10. I wake her up before I go to bed to feed her since I go to bed around 2am. She then wakes up around 8 or 9 and takes her first nap around 11. She wakes up around 1and then takes her last nap around 5. She's easy to figure out!

Tonight was different though. She went to bed around 11 because her last nap ran kind of late. She woke up at 130am and I let her cry a little because it was the sleepy cry where she usually just whines and falls back to sleep. Only she didn't fall back to sleep this time.

I got her up, changed, fed, and burped her like I do every night and she fell asleep on me. I laid her in bed and the screaming started. I let her cry for a few minutes and it wasn't the type of cry where she would go back to sleep, so I got her up and tried to feed her a little more but she refused.
The moment I layed her back on my chest she stopped crying and went straight to sleep. Laid her down and more screaming.

Eventually I just took a warm bath with her, turned the heater on and got her dressed again. She's asleep now finally over 2 hours later.

No idea what was wrong. It got resolved eventually so I'm thankful.

What do you ladies do on rough nights? What is your LOs sleeping schedules like? Any tips to share that might help that some us might find helpful?

Re: How do you get by on rough nights?

• You say that you have her "schedule perfected" but that's nearly impossible to do with a baby. Thinking things will stay the same and always be perfect just sets yourself up for disappointment when you do have a rough night. You won't always find an answer to why your baby is doing something out of the ordinary. Some of the problems you encounter might be teething too, which is always worse in the MOTN. Tylenol is a lifesaver.

My youngest is 13 months old but at 7 months old she was still waking once a night to eat.

IMO your LO is going to bed way too late. This schedule might work for you and everyone is different but I can't imagine putting DD down for a nap at 5pm. DD goes to bed around 6:30 or 7pm and wakes up at 7am. She used to wake around 3am for a bottle then right back down until 7am and then at 9 months old she started STTN. DD has also been taking 2 naps for a long time and those are roughly 10am and 2pm.

I wouldn't stress these rough nights too much right now. Sleep patterns change all the time and I don't feel like things really become easier and more consistent until about a year old.

• I say perfected loosely. I know her patterns will change. They have many times already and each time they've changed I have adapted to her schedule. I let her set her own pretty much because I'm a stay at home mom.

I wasn't asking for advice on if her sleeping schedule is a good one or if her bedtime is at a decent hour. I was asking what helps moms get through the rough nights easier. Things that have been tried that work for them when there's nothing wrong with baby but everything wrong at the same time.

Her sleeping schedule works for us because she wakes up at a great hour in the mornings instead of at 5am.
  • Loading the player...
  • I say perfected loosely. I know her patterns will change. They have many times already and each time they've changed I have adapted to her schedule. I let her set her own pretty much because I'm a stay at home mom. I wasn't asking for advice on if her sleeping schedule is a good one or if her bedtime is at a decent hour. I was asking what helps moms get through the rough nights easier. Things that have been tried that work for them when there's nothing wrong with baby but everything wrong at the same time. Her sleeping schedule works for us because she wakes up at a great hour in the mornings instead of at 5am.

You asked for tips, you asked for others sleeping schedules and you asked how to get through rough nights. I suggested Tylenol for teething, I told you my LO's schedule and I said not to stress the occasional rough night. Not sure what else you are looking for except maybe to be told to toughen up because you obviously don't want to make any other changes.

Man you must be tired!

• Lol. Your post honestly made it seem like you were saying I was wrong for putting her to bed so late and her 5pm nap was ridiculous. If that's not how you meant it then I apologize.
  • BigboobsmcgeeBigboobsmcgee member
    edited November 2015
    Lol. Your post honestly made it seem like you were saying I was wrong for putting her to bed so late and her 5pm nap was ridiculous. If that's not how you meant it then I apologize.

Not at all. You said her schedule works for you so have confidence in that. I was simply sharing my daughters schedule and no, I can't imagine her having such a late bedtime. Neither of my children ever went to bed that late and even my 3.5 year still goes down earlier than that. Just my experience.

• My DD that will be 3 in January and DS will be 9 months at the end of this month.  DS goes to bed at 8:30 and DD goes to bed at 9.  I don't get home from work till about 7 so this bedtime works for us.  They both sleep through the night and wake up around 7-7:30.  My son takes 2 naps a day with a short catnap in the evening car ride home and my daughter takes a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon.  When I have the rough night it's occasional so I roll with the punches and the next day they go back to the same routine as always.  If I noticed that it was becoming a pattern then I would check what in is different, is he teething? possibly getting sick?  Change in routine?  and make changes accordingly.  Don't know if this was much helps but this is what works for my family.  Good luck!   
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you ladies! I've just been on edge because she's not on insurance right now. It's supposed to kick in within 2 weeks, so there's the light at the end of the tunnel. We just moved to a different state and our insurance got dropped because of the change in jobs for my husband. When she's having a moment I just get worried. Obviously we would visit the ER if something happens, but I just get stressed I guess.

Last night she went to bed at 7 which was a shock. I woke her up around midnight to eat because she only ate a little before bed and she slept till 1045 this morning!
  • My son never went to bed before 11pm until after be turned 6 months. It worked for us and no matter what we tried he didn't go to sleep from 5pm-11pm.....he was always wide awake. Then one day he was cranky at 7pm. I put him down thinking he would nap and he slept through the night. And it has pretty much stayed that way. It is crazy when they change so suddenly. I think you are doing everything you can! Just roll with it.

If my son is up a lot at night and really fussy unless he is held then I give him tylenol and it seems to help. (This only happens every so often). Good luck!
  • Thank you! It's crazy how they can just change all of a sudden like that!

Emily does well at night in general, but we have our nights where she doesn't go down as easily. She's currently super tired, but fighting with all her might to stay awake, lol.

I've not given Tylenol yet. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort or anything when she throws the tantrums.

When she gets upset and won't go back down I just get her up, change her, feed her, and burp her. If she doesn't get tired then I take a bath with her and then give her a little more to eat. That bath always seems to work.
  • Thank you! It's crazy how they can just change all of a sudden like that! Emily does well at night in general, but we have our nights where she doesn't go down as easily. She's currently super tired, but fighting with all her might to stay awake, lol. I've not given Tylenol yet. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort or anything when she throws the tantrums. When she gets upset and won't go back down I just get her up, change her, feed her, and burp her. If she doesn't get tired then I take a bath with her and then give her a little more to eat. That bath always seems to work.
    I bet she's getting used to that new routine or if she's not used to it yet...she will get there. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for doing what works but I try to stay away from things that might create more of a problem.