June 2016 Moms
Options

Problems with coworkers?

Hi all. This is my first time posting. I am 10w2d and this is my first pregnancy.

I was wondering if any of you have ever run into problems with your coworkers when it comes to being pregnant. The issue I have been having is this:
I work in a small classroom with two other women (both who have kids of their own). They act like I am being super dramatic about my symptoms (specifically nausea and fatigue). I personally think that compared to how bad I actually feel I am handling myself pretty well.
They keep telling me that I shouldn't nap or sleep any extra because I need to learn to be awake all the time when the baby comes. They also keep saying things like "oh you're in for it if you think this is bad".

Has anyone else ever encountered anything like this and how did you handle it?

Thanks!

Re: Problems with coworkers?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's super annoying, I'd tell them to go eff themselves. I love the above response
  • Options
    Haha thanks ladies! That made me smile which is great for a 14 hour work day Monday :)
  • Options
    I agree tell them every pregnancy is different and every women is different. How old are their kids? Most mom's don't remember the worst of the worst parts of pregnancy. Just tell them it's ok you will laugh when they decide to have another and have bad nausea.
  • Options
    One of them has kids about my age but a daughter who is pregnant. The other one has two kids under the age of 3.
  • Options
    Wow, people can be such a-holes. I like @Corts's response!
  • Options
    I have noticed that once you become pregnant the people around you are full of unhelpful "advice". They sound more like high school girls than co workers. Let it roll off your back. I barely remember my symptoms from my son and it was only 2 years ago sooo I have a hard time believing they really remember the morning sickness and fatigue. Maybe they didn't have morning sickness or whatever, if so lucky them but that doesn't make you feel any less crappy. <3
  • Options
    I've been pregnant twice before. I'm 11 weeks and this is the only one where I feel like I'm recovering from a bus crash. Every day for the past month. I'm sure people side eye me when mention how exausted I am. I don't care. Anyone who makes you feel inferior to them can kiss your ass, seriously.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you all :) I feel much better after reading your comments. I definitely don't see myself as having a terribly hard pregnancy but it's been no cake walk either. I'm nauseous every day. The only good thing about that is I've only actually physically gotten sick three times so far. To me that's a plus. It just stinks when my two coworkers are the only people who even know about the pregnancy besides my husband. They are both really excited for me so I dont think anything they have said is intentionally hurtful. It's just nice now having this group to share similar situations and support.
  • Options
    Vent away that is what we're here for! Your post made me want to punch them in the face for you!! I am in NP school doing clinical rotations and the doctor I'm with has been so supportive and even he (who has clearly never experienced pregnancy) explains to me how normal it is to be so tired and tells me to go home and nap!! I agree with PP's that they need to eff off!
  • Options
    That sucks! An early welcome into the unwanted advice that people seem to think is okay when you are pregnant or have a young child I suppose.

Other than the responses PP have suggested (many of which are awesome btw) my best suggestion is finding a way to let it just go in one ear and out the other. I'm working on that myself so no suggestions there but I've heard it only gets worse.
  • Options
    omg I would lose my mind on them, haha. I sleep like 14 hours a day right now, for real. Embrace the sleep. And FWIW, even when I was sleep-deprived with a collicky newborn, I was less down-to-my-bones exhausted than when I was pregnant with her.
  • Options
    Jessms326 said:
    They keep telling me that I shouldn't nap or sleep any extra because I need to learn to be awake all the time when the baby comes. 
    Whaaat???  Worst advice ever.  Get all the rest you can while you can get it.  Your body needs the energy to make a healthy baby.  You don't need to train yourself to be sleep deprived.  The baby's screaming will take care of that just fine.  Or you might get lucky and get a good little sleeper.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    First trimester exhaustion is in a class all its own. The newborn phase is tiring but less so than the first trimester. Don't listen to them! You'll be fine and I think you're a better person than I to keep your mouth shut!
  • Options
    TunieBeeTunieBee member
    edited November 2015
    They sound like smug assholes.  I am blessed with minimal symptoms in my pregnancies, but I know this is NOT NORMAL. I have seen how horrible some of my friends feel and they are obviously not "faking it". Take this time to rest and take care of yourself but they are right about one thing...you won't have as much opportunity to do so after the baby comes. Definitely take it easy on yourself. I slept ALL THE TIME during my first pregnancy.

• Options
    Thanks everyone! Your support is very helpful. :)
  • Options
    Jessms326Jessms326 member
    edited November 2015
    So today I've had flu like symptoms all day minus a fever. And of course my coworkers strike against! Saying things like "I don't know how you're ever going to survive the rest of this"..... Ugh!!!!
  • Options
    That sucks. Maybe stop talking pregnancy symptoms with them. My teaching partner always comments that I need to pee so often (just gotta go often when I'm not KU!) and so in not looking forward to the third tri and her complaining when she has to watch my class so I can go. Sorry, I can't wait four hours!
  • Options
    I actually felt pretty well rested with my first born doing that whole "sleep when baby sleeps" tell them to eat a dick.
  • Options
    Seriously, fuck them! I hate people like that! They don't know what your body is putting you through and they really need to watch what they say to a pregnant woman before all professionalism flies out the window and you cuss them out. I would have hurt their feelings saying that to me on the wrong day. And lately everyday has been the wrong day! Feel better!
  • Options
    @Jessms326 ugh. I'm sorry they're still at it. So frustrating! Unfortunately it sounds like they may be those people that have advice and 'expert rules' throughout. I know you said otherwise they are really excited for you and may just be trying to show their interest, but doing it terribly horribly wrong. Have you told them they are making you more miserable than the pregnancy? ;) hope they clue in and stfu. We are here if you need to rant!
  • Options
    Make sure you keep track if it gets bad. These sound like the people that will bitch if you taking pumping breaks (if that's the route you go)
  • Options
    @Vinny424 one of them takes pumping breaks 3 times a day right now! So I really hope not! Haha.

Thank you everyone for your support. It's great to have a place to come and complain where everyone knows how you're feeling.