Cloth Diapering

When to change cloth diapers?

Kfraz3Kfraz3 member
edited November 2015 in Cloth Diapering
Hello all! FTM here to a 2 month old boy. I am making the transition to cloth diapers. The diapers were HUGE on him till now. We have pocket diapers that are one size fits all. We have bamboo inserts and I think the ones that came with he diapers are microfiber... I am not putting the insert in the pocket, so I don't have to change the outside part every time. Any way, I am wondering how often to change him. I have read online and people say at least every 2-2 1/2 hrs. But my son is starting to have a 4 hour sleep here and there and some 3 hr sleeps. Tonight he woke up 1 1/2 hrs after laying down and the insert was wet and the diaper was a bit damp too. He doesn't really have a predictable routine right now. He did somewhat but he's changing up his hours so I don't always know when he will sleep longer. Can any one give me advice on changing often enough? I feel like if I have to wake him to change him after 2 1/2 hrs of sleep then it's not worth it. And it seems silly! How do you use cloth with an older baby then?! They sleep a lot longer! Thank you for any input. ☺️

Re: When to change cloth diapers?

• Well no, you shouldn't have to wake him for a change. It just sounds like you need to add more absorbency for when he sleeps longer stretches. Just keep in mind that once a pocket diaper is wet, it cannot be reused. The stay-dry fabric may even feel dry when it has been peed on, because that is the whole point of it. If you can change the whole diaper at each change, I would. But anyway, maybe try using a bamboo and cotton insert, or maybe even bamboo and hemp? It just depends on how much absorbency you need.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, I use one insert and change more often when awake. For sleeping you just add as much absorbency as they'll need. My 2mo needs a bamboo flat and hemp booster to get 10h at night (she wakes once to eat, but doesn't poop, so changing her just wakes her up more).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • More absorbency, as already stated. However, don't use microfiber outside of the pocket as it's too drying for baby's skin over time. You should look into covers to lay your inserts in as these are truly wipe able and intended for what you're trying to do.
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Thank you everyone! I don't know if I can fit another insert in there though! Lol they are already kinda bulky... I will do more research I suppose. Are there other inserts that are thinner and can go with the bamboo insert?
  • After a night of research I think I have a good idea of how I wanna do this!! I am definitely gonna need more diapers! Lol And I'm thinking of doing cloth wipes as well. Save money where we can. Thanks again every one. ☺️
  • Kfraz3 said:

Thank you everyone! I don't know if I can fit another insert in there though! Lol they are already kinda bulky... I will do more research I suppose. Are there other inserts that are thinner and can go with the bamboo insert?

Hemp!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Ya! I read about hemp. I wanna try it. I am not sure about he cloth diaper thing now though cuz my son has a bit of red between his cheeks... Is that normal? He has never had diaper rash. I read that at the first sign of red out on cream. But that means he would have to wear a disposable after every cloth. I have let him air dry before putting the cloth diaper on. And he still looks red. I just started using cloth wipes. I used one wipe to dry after wiping. So we shall see if that makes a difference. I want cloth to work but not at the risk of diaper rash.
  • @Kfraz3 if you use cloth safe cream you won't need to do disposables to deal with redness. Coconut oil is an easy place to start. I also like LuSa organically booty balm and Grandma Els. Redness happens...food, tummy bug, teething. I wouldn't blame the diapers right away!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • I think you're right @lionstigersbears! I think it's because he was sleeping in his car seat for a bit. I started using cloth wipes yesterday and the solution has coconut oil in it and no more redness! Yay! I am SO happy that cloth diapering is going tinsel for us. Cloth wipes are AMAZING too, and so cheap. I bought fleece from Walmart for about 6 bucks and cut it into 8x8 squares. Mixed water, coconut oil and baby soap. Put it in a squirt bottle and voila! His butt isn't sticky like it was with wipes, it's smooth and moisturized! Coconut oil wins again! Thanks for all the advice. Until the next bump in the road comes up, Ciao! ☺️