High-Risk Pregnancy

Loss of one twin

Last Monday almost starting to be 28 weeks pregnant with twin girls, I had an ultrasound and found out that Baby A had low amniotic fluid and no heartbeat. I'm really devastated from the loss and doctors were shocked as to why this could have happened (especially since this was a didi twin pregnancy). My ultrasound before this one was 10 days ago (because doctors were concerned about my short cervix) and both babies were doing great, so it's really shocking how I can lose one baby in a short amount of time. I gained a lot of cervical length back that day, but I would rather have my baby back. Doctors don't want to induce me quite yet to deliver Baby B as they think 28 weeks is still too early and are waiting for me to reach at least 34 weeks if all goes well. The fact that I have to carry a stillborn until delivery day breaks my heart into a million pieces.

I was admitted to the hospital for a few days for close monitoring for the surviving baby (Baby B) and I had some blood tests that can help determine what caused Baby A to die. I still don't know the results as that would take some time, but doctors are telling me that it is a possibility that we may never know the cause at all. I was even told some risks I might have such as placental abruption from Baby A's placenta since she's basically rotting away and if I get extreme abdominal pain and bleeding, I need to call the ambulance and have them take me to the nearest hospital where they can either stabilize me or deliver Baby B immediately. I was also told that I'm more prone to infection and need to stay away from people who are sick, even with the common cold.

Has anyone had similar experiences over losing a twin (especially in a didi twin pregnancy)? It's been so hard and I'm crying every single day. I'm praying so much that Baby B does not have the same fate as Baby A and that she comes to this world healthy and strong so I can take her home and watch her grow.

Re: Loss of one twin

• I am so sorry for ur loss..t/p going out to u and baby b.
  • I'm so sorry... Praying.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry you are going through this. I had didi twins and lost one as well but it was much earlier than you. I went for my first high risk appointment because of spontaneous twins at 12 weeks and it as then that I was told that one twin stopped growing at 8 weeks. I was devastated. They reassured me that there was no effect on the other twin and I can say now I have a beatiful 9 week old daughter. While I know our situations aren't totally the same since you are further along, I wanted to share that because for the remainder of my pregnancy I was paranoid about something happening to the other twin. I think it's hard for others to understand just how that news makes you feel. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and wish you all the best for the remainder of your pregnancy.
  • I'm living breathing proof that Baby B can be born healthy. My mother was pregnant with twins, not sure if we were didi but I believe so. Baby A was also a female and passed in utero. I was delivered naturally along with her body just a couple of weeks early. I'm sorry for your loss, t/p for the rest of your pregnancy and baby b.
    Me: 31
    DH: 35
    Married: August 2009
    TTC#1: June 2015

• Very sorry for your loss and I hope Baby B remains healthy and you are able to carry her at least to 34 weeks. Thinking of you and sending positive vibes.