Breastfeeding

Extremely sensitive nipples

InesCHInesCH member
edited November 2015 in Breastfeeding
So LO and I got the thrush about 2 weeks in. I did the proper treatment, hers went away, mine I felt lingered on. I've actually stopped breastfeeding and have gone on to exclusively pumping and supplementing.

But my nipples are SUPER Sensitive still! They do not hurt, and do not itch, but are just really sensitive to anything they touch. I still apply anti fungal cream and even went on a week long diflucan treatment. My doctor is no help and says that I just have to stop pumping/breastfeeding for a week. This of course would kill my supply-and I don't make much at all.

Before I go to another doctor-just want to know if anyone has had experience with this. Do I still have the thrush? (LO is 8 weeks) it's driving me absolutely insane and making pumping very uncomfortable

Re: Extremely sensitive nipples

• Yes I went thru this. Try Medela nipple shields. But cut a hole in a disposable nursing pad to put under the base of it against your skin. The pressure of the base of it caused me to get clogged ducts but with the pad it was fine. Also-talk to your doc about a nipple cream that has more meds in it. Mine has two antifungals, one antibiotic, and one steroid. Huge help with the ouchiness!! It had to be made at a compounding pharmacy though. Good luck!
  • Medela nipple shells, not shields sorry. Target had them. They are called soft shells for sore nipples.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was just about to write what pp said. Medicated cream and nipple shields and time... No fun, but it will pass, I hope soon!!
  • Probiotics, grapefruit seed extract, and coconut oil were life savers for us!
  • Yes nipple shells were a godsend for me in the beginning! Even the softest breast pads were too much for me, these shells keep your clothes or anything else from touching your nipples and allow them to heal better. I used the medela ones: https://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/592/softshells

Also coconut oil like the pp said. I liked it better than lanolin and it makes you smell like the beach!

• Kfraz3Kfraz3 member
    edited November 2015
    Using any ointment for an extended period of time could cause sensitivity. I would imagine the antifungal cream is more likely to cause problems with extended use than lanolin or anything else. I also had thrush and even when it was gone my nipples were (and still are) sensitive weeks later.... I think it's just the way my body is made. Nursing is not ways comfortable but definitely bearable.