June 2016 Moms
Options

Any favorite teas/hot drinks?

I don't care much for coffee anymore, decaf or otherwise, and have been trying out different teas to replace the coffee. Unfortunately this was much harder than I initially thought as there are a ton that aren't proven safe for pregnancy. I've tried different varieties of 'safe' teas but haven't found one yet that I like so now have about 7 mostly unused boxes of tea in my cabinet that I will never drink. I'm always cold so like to have warm drinks throughout the day to warm me up.

Any suggestions for hot teas or other warm drinks? 

TIA!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Any favorite teas/hot drinks?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    NicknShan said:
    I have been doing apple cider...
    Oooohhhh, I'm ditto-ing the apple cider. I forgot about the bottle of homemade apple cider I got from South Carolina while I was down there in September. I know what I'm having tonight!
  • Options
    CopperLaneCopperLane member
    edited November 2015
    I have had this awful aversion to coffee. I've been drinking hot coco and hot apple cider. It's definitely been great at filling in for my morning hot drink :) could I do without all the sugar? Yeah. Do I want to? Hell no, this baby demands its hot coco.

ETA: green tea with honey is pretty good. It does interfere with certain vitamin intake but if you take prenatals at night you should be fine. Coffee also interferes with iron absorption and it's recommended to take prenatals in a different day part than when you drink coffee.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @Copperlane - good to know about the coffee and iron absorption! I still have a cup on some days, but will probably just stay away from it altogether now.

I normally LOVE hot cocoa but the last few times I tried it made my stomach hurt for some reason - even when I made a dairy free version. :( It's so good with either marshmallows or cool whip though!

But hot apple cider - that's a great idea!!! Can't believe I didn't think of that - thanks! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It's fine to still have coffee as long as you don't take it at the same time as your prenatals. I wish I was able to stomach coffee, the whole non focus pregnancy symptom would be easier with some coffee. For some reason the smell turns my stomach so much that I haven't even tried coffee. I used to drink multiple cups a day and was nonfunctional without it. I'm hoping it starts to get more appealing when I hit my second tri, work has been tough.
  • Options
    There is a pregnancy tea out there that a few friends of mine drink. I'm just not personally a fan of tea so I can't vouch for the tatste. I think they carry it at most grocery stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Medicinals-Organic-Pregnancy-Bags/dp/B0009F3PK8/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1447786560&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=pregnancy+tea&psc=1

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Options
    The Starbucks Carmel Apple Spice is yummy!
  • Options
    Peppermint tea has been by go to lately. 
  • Options

I've been drinking green tea that has spearmint and peppermint in it.

• Options
    @CopperLane I'm having an aversion to coffee too! I haven't heard of anyone that also has this aversion so I'm glad I'm not alone. I too used to not be able to function without my morning coffee. But now even thinking about it makes me gag. Although I want my coffee back so bad
  • Options
    Pero or Cafix. They are both made from roasted barley, and are all natural and nice in the morning. Not too sweet (you can add sweetener or milk to taste). I also like mint tea.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

It's fine to still have coffee as long as you don't take it at the same time as your prenatals. I wish I was able to stomach coffee, the whole non focus pregnancy symptom would be easier with some coffee. For some reason the smell turns my stomach so much that I haven't even tried coffee. I used to drink multiple cups a day and was nonfunctional without it. I'm hoping it starts to get more appealing when I hit my second tri, work has been tough.

Ha. Experienced mom fail. I actually used my coffee to help me swallow my pre-natal this morning. Whoops
  • Options
    Love hot cider.

Teecino is also really good. They call it an herbal coffee, but it doesn't taste anything like. You can look it up but it comes in all different flavors--chocolate, vanilla. My fav thing to do is to use one of those on the stove espresso makers ( little percolator) and then heat the milk and it tastes like a vanilla latte. Man, I totally forgot I had some. Maybe it will stop me from stuffing my face 24/7!
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Options
    We recently had some friends and their kids over for a "leaf jumping party" since there was a perfect pile of fall leaves just begging to be jumped in...and a friend brought some hot cocoa she'd made from a Pinterest recipe. It was so decadent, like melted chocolate bars. She let us keep the leftovers and I stretched it by spooning some into my morning coffee to make the perfect mocha. Oh man, I wish I had some now.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @fishwife799 - Thanks for the link! I saw that in the grocery store today and was tempted but noticed it had nettle leaf in it. I heard only parts of the nettle leaf (or plant) are ok for pregnancy so decided to play it safe. I'm going to ask my doctor when I see her this week.

@peregrinefalconx & @AmberLiz99  - I've never heard of these drinks - thanks for the tip! I want to try all of them now. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    satcher08satcher08 member
    edited November 2015
    My go to's are apple cider, peach flavored green tea or just classic Earl Grey tea. Really most teas would be OK as long as they aren't herbal. I'm really looking forward to my seasonal gingerbread spice tea. Yum.

Edit because words are hard on mobile
    January Siggy Challenge: Why I don't shop at Walmart 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options

I'm a sucker for hot cocoa this time of year. A big 'ol mug with marshmallows on top. Yummo.

My life <3
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers  
      Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    satcher08 said:
    My go to's are apple cider, peach flavored green tea or just classic Earl Grey tea. Really most teas would be OK as long as they aren't herbal. I'm really looking forward to my seasonal gingerbread spice tea. Yum. 

Gingerbread spice tea? That sounds amazing!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Just a warning ladies, with the apple cider, make sure that the bottle says that it has been pasteurized. My OB gave me a specific warning against unpasteurized drinks because of where I live (southern Indiana, right smack in the middle of the farmlands) and the grocery stores like to sell cider from the local orchards, which are usually not pasteurized. It's the same thing we have to look out for with cheese, I just tend to forget about it with things like fresh juices.
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Good call! I always forget about the pasteurized thing and I buy a lot of local/organic so should probably be paying closer attention!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yogi vital energy, the peppermint one. Literally the only thing that helps with my ms.
  • Options

Welp, it's a good thing I read through this thread! Whoops...I've been doing this wrong all along. 
    Me: 30 || DH: 32
    Married: May 3, 2014 

SaveSave
  • Options
    @CourtJack and @DeePaddy24 when I was TTC I was taking prenatals in the morning and my pregnant friend scolded me for drinking coffee at the same time. Her OB told her that coffee prevents your body from absorbing the iron (when taken around the same time). I switched to taking my prenatals at night because who wants to give up coffee when they aren't even pregnant yet???

I've also been told by a pharmacist friend that taking vitamins before bed is the best time to take them. Something about sleeping better.
  • Options
    I am in love with almond steamers. It's just steamed milk with almond syrup in it. It's hard to find that flavor at big chain coffee shops, but little ones usually have it. Any flavor syrup is yummy!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @mepxw7 - I can't do dairy. :( Are these sold premixed with milk or can you buy the flavoring and add to your own almond milk?

Also just looked up Teecino, Cafix and Pero and they all have barley in them which can set off reactions for those with celiac and for some with gluten sensitivity. Boo. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited November 2015

satcher08 said:

Gingerbread spice tea? That sounds amazing!

You have no idea. I stock up on it every year when it comes out for the holidays. Add in a little cinnamon flavored creamer and it's the best thing ever.

• Options
    @satcher08 - where do you get yours?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If you are in the mood for tea, I am in love with tea lattes. Earl Grey with milk (in my case soy) and a shot of vanilla is very good. Sometimes called a London Fog. They can make it with any flavor of tea. Lady Grey is a bit more orange flavored and not as strong as Earl.
    TTC since 1/2013 on our own 
     HSG-2/2014 Rt ovary not visible and/or blocked 
     IF diagnosis 6/2014 
     DH on Clomid for low T 
     First cycle-clomid/ovidrel and TI 8/2015-BFN 8/31 
     Second cycle-clomid/ovidrel IUI 9/2015-
    BFP on 9/25/15 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    For the gingerbread tea I usually just stock up on the celestial seasonings at walmart when it comes out. However, it has chicory in it which isn't safe for pregnancy so I will order some online instead. Here's a link to a version that is safe when pregnant. I've had it before too and it's really good, just a little more expensive. https://www.amazon.com/Republic-Tea-Gingerbread-Cuppa-Rooibos/dp/B00OKYP0KC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1447801203&sr=8-8&keywords=gingerbread+spice+tea 

ETA: For those of you who are into it, the Republic of Tea brand also has a pumpkin spice tea blend you can get on amazon that looks pretty good. 

• Options
    @satcher - thanks! I'm going to give it a try!

@hollywoodave531 - that sounds good! I'm going to try almond milk and vanilla in my tea.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @satcher08 I love the Celestial seasonings holiday editions with the sugar cookie flavor. I forgot about them until you mentioned it! That's good to know about the gingerbread flavor.
    TTC since 1/2013 on our own 
     HSG-2/2014 Rt ovary not visible and/or blocked 
     IF diagnosis 6/2014 
     DH on Clomid for low T 
     First cycle-clomid/ovidrel and TI 8/2015-BFN 8/31 
     Second cycle-clomid/ovidrel IUI 9/2015-
    BFP on 9/25/15 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    A plain oolong is always my fave. I also developed a taste for red raspberry leaf after my last baby.
  • Options

Just a warning ladies, with the apple cider, make sure that the bottle says that it has been pasteurized. My OB gave me a specific warning against unpasteurized drinks because of where I live (southern Indiana, right smack in the middle of the farmlands) and the grocery stores like to sell cider from the local orchards, which are usually not pasteurized. It's the same thing we have to look out for with cheese, I just tend to forget about it with things like fresh juices.

I'm in central Indiana, and I got the same warning from my OB! Just check to make sure it's pasteurized and it should be fine. :)
  • Options
    HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited November 2015
    I second all the apple ciders (pasteurized). I order a steamed apple juice with one shot of cinnamon dulce syrup at Starbucks. Delic and cheaper than fancier drinks!

I also really like a virgin hot toddy. Hot water with fresh lemon and a teeny bit of local honey. Cuts nausea in the evenings and boosts my immune system. :)

Ooh and I forgot, sometimes I do a vanilla-mint steamer at Starbucks when I'm craving sweeter. It's four pumps vanilla four pumps mint and steamed milk (or soy/coconut/almond milk if you prefer). It tastes like a candy cane!
  • Options
    HBamama2B said:
    I second all the apple ciders (pasteurized). I order a steamed apple juice with one shot of cinnamon dulce syrup at Starbucks. Delic and cheaper than fancier drinks! I also really like a virgin hot toddy. Hot water with fresh lemon and a teeny bit of local honey. Cuts nausea in the evenings and boosts my immune system. :) Ooh and I forgot, sometimes I do a vanilla-mint steamer at Starbucks when I'm craving sweeter. It's four pumps vanilla four pumps mint and steamed milk (or soy/coconut/almond milk if you prefer). It tastes like a candy cane!
    Those sound good! Thanks for the Starbucks ideas - I have a gift card I will be putting to good use now. I also do the virgin hot toddy sometimes. (I didn't realize it had a name!)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have been drinking a lot of apple cider as well! I started drinking this 'earth momma earth baby morning wellness' tea when I created my 'please dont vomit on the subway on the way to work' routine and I really liked it, yogi tea also makes one for preggos. I take it  on my commute in a thermos in the morning with a little bit of honey.
    I also found an unsweetened ginger soda in my local grocery that I really like. Often times I'm in the mood for something fizzy but I don't drink soft drinks so I started buying seltzer and adding lemon or other citrus flavors. 
    I get the weirdest drink cravings!!!
  • Options
    The Starbucks passion tango iced tea... I'm newly obsessed. No calories, no caffeine and the bitterness helps with nausea.

Win, win, win
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Starbucks Carmel Apple spice! I love it and it's made with apple juice not apple cider :smile: I also love earl grey tea my favorite kind of tea and caffeine content is really low.
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Options
    I've started with the warm eggnog (pasteurized only), I do mix mine with coffee but you don't have to :)