June 2016 Moms
Options

Cloth diaper mamas

I have an 18 month old who I didn't CD with but I wanted to. I was intimidated by all the different types and brands and am completely lost. Can you recommend the best cloth diapers or at least pros and cons of the different types? Maybe a quick tutorial haha. I googled it but get so confused!

Re: Cloth diaper mamas

• Options
    I do! Ummmm there's so much information!

This girl has a lot of good videos.

https://youtu.be/8tMOtBU96Ts
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With my first I bought different types and found I mostly liked prefolds and covers with added boosters for extra absorbency. With my second, I ended up liking thirsties one size pockets once he was out of nb size. He had no patience for getting changed and I needed changes to feel as easy as disposables. It obviously take a little time to stuff the diapers but the prep work paid off on the changing table
  • Options
    CopperLaneCopperLane member
    edited November 2015
    Following! I'm a FTM and so far only our parents know we are expecting. My mom thinks I'm nuts for wanting to CD and my husband is grossed out by it. I have some friends who CD and can't wait to announce my pregnancy so I can pick their brains.

ETA a question. For you CD moms, do any of you have baby's in daycare with CD? I don't know enough about it to know if you can send them to daycare with cloth diapers.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this thread! I've been struggling with the same thing. I'm hoping to CD too, but was quickly overwhelmed. Thanks for the videos pps!
  • Options
    I'll look into some of these for sure. My nephew wears CDs and they love how easy it is and there are still disposable inserts for when they travel.
  • Options
    @Everycol0r you are so brilliant on this subject care to weigh in?
  • Options
    We started baby #1 in cloth around 7 months. Tried all types, ended up with mostly pockets as I got a good deal on them. My very faves are fitteds (GMD workhorses) and covers but budget is tighter this time so we are doing prefolds and fitteds mix until 15# or so then using the prefolds to stuff those old pockets. :-)
  • Options
    I bought all different types of diapers (all second-hand) in newborn size and sort of got a feel for what I liked. I just do pockets with my 19-month-old. I like BumGenius and EllaBellaBum brands but brand preference depends largely on your baby/toddler's body type so it really does help to try some different ones. My girl has always been very skinny so we need ones that can get nice and tight around the leg holes even with her skinny chicken legs. The good news is diapers typically have great resale value so if you try a bunch and find one brand you like, you should be able to sell the ones that didn't work for you.

If you go the pockets route, make sure you get good inserts. The cheapo microfibre inserts that come with some brands leak like crazy. Double- or triple-layer inserts made from a natural fibre like cotton, bamboo or hemp will do a MUCH better job and won't leak the minute they get peed in.

The only exception to pockets with my kiddo is that we use a hybrid fitted (that's a diaper where the whole thing is made of absorbent material, plus it has an absorbent booster/insert inside) for nighttime with a waterproof cover over it. Pockets usually don't hold enough moisture to get through the night when your baby gets a little older.

For the new baby I bought prefolds because they're cheap and I'm a little more experienced now and less intimidated by them :) I also bought 6 newborn-sized PUL covers and hopefully there aren't too many blowouts that require me to change both diaper and cover. My worry with using prefolds is they're less daycare-friendly.

I interviewed several dayhomes (not daycares though) and although most were not super familiar with cloth diapers, all of them were perfectly willing to deal with them. I bought a wet/dry bag (has a regular compartment and a waterproof compartment) and I send it loaded with 5 clean diapers in the dry part in the morning and then take it home every night to wash the dirties and replace them with more clean ones. I make sure all the pocket diapers are stuffed and ready to go so it's super simple for the dayhome lady. I do also have friends who cloth diaper and send kids to daycare, but I have heard of some daycares not being cloth-friendly. Just something else to ask when you're checking them out.

Sorry for the info dump! I know the world of cloth diapering can be a little intimidating but it's not so bad when you get into it! Good luck!
  • Options
    Also a pocket girl, but I chose prefolds and covers for the first few months. Covers with double gusset and about two dozen prefolds (can even get cheap ones) are good for newborn, liquid diet days.
    Once poops were more solid we switched to more pockets, and use Bumgenius 4.0. I tried some others, but Bumgenius is my favorite.
    I also suggest maybe finding a cloth diaper swap site or join one of Facebook so you can try out different kinds.
    @copperlane I've used home day cares, and while most of them are fine using CD, I could tell it got overwhelming for them. I also had one person accidentally throw away a diaper, took me a few days to figure out though.
    imageimage
    1st born June 2013
  • Options
    This thread is fantastic! Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    CopperLaneCopperLane member
    edited November 2015
    I agree with @HBamama2B. Thank you all for your great advice and insight into the world of the cloth diaper. You ladies are awesome!!
  • Options
    I guess I could share what I use too :wink:

With DS I used a few different covers - ended up loving Thirsty Duo Wraps - paired with a contoured soaker (the brand is Bumkins) and some prefolds which I didn't care for. These covers come in 2 sizes so they fit my 10-pound baby perfectly a week after he was born - just used sposies at the beginning. I still use them in a size two but now that he runs around the insert doesn't necessarily stay up but nothing ever leaks out. I've added some rebranded Alva's and I think they're great! (I wouldn't use them until after you start solids though). I'll probably buy a few more Alva's for DS and replace the 4 non-thirsty covers I have for this LO.

Definitely buy a lot of different brands and resell the ones you don't like. It's cheaper than putting all your eggs in one basket and then having to replace your whole stash because you hate what you bought. Kellyscloset.com has a few brands you can return within 30 days if you don't like them. But make sure you don't buy them until after your baby is born or the trail will be over before you've had a chance to try them!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh!  Another thing to think about is a cloth diaper service.  My local store has a service where they deliver cloth diapers weekly and handle the laundry.  It would be a way to ease into it and kind of test things out.  Might be an option for the newborn stage, too, so you don't have to buy tiny diapers or deal with bulky big ones.
    DS 9/2/13 was a BFP from an IUI!
    Triplets due 6/29/16 also from an IUI!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all the responses! Now I need to get to digesting everything that was said! I'll let you guys know if I have any questions. In the mean time, feel free to add anything all us new cloth diaper moms might need to know
  • Options
    Like PPs said, we used pre folds with snappis and Thirsties Duo covers in the newborn stage. We then graduated to Bum Genius 4.0. DD is potty trained but still wears a Bum Genius overnight.
    It's overwhelming to try to figure it all out while pregnant. I spent countless hours researching and making lists and categories. I ended up getting a Charlie Banana, a Fuzzibuns, and a Bum Genius and decided from there that the Bum Genius was best for us. Good luck!! Cloth diapering is great and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love this thread! I'll be following along to try to soak up any and all knowledge you ladies share. FTM here and I really want to try CD. Dh says since he has never changed a single diaper if I want to try cloth I better do it from the beginning with this one. He thinks if he just learns how to diaper a baby in general with cloth there won't be any difference for him!
  • Options
    We've tried all the brands with our now 2 year old and for this new baby I think we're going to go with the Best Bottom system because I have less leaks and wicking with those than with our pockets. We will still probably use Velcro pockets for daycare though, because it's easier for them, and do fitteds with covers for night time.
  • Options
    Your best bet is to try one of each until you find one you love. We tried probably 7 brands before we fell in love with Grovia Hybrids. It's so much easier than I anticipated. 
  • Options
    I've been CDing for 7 years :). I advice a diaper trial because every baby is different. My girls did great with flips and cheap pockets. My boy does much better with hybrid fitterds. It all depends on the baby. For newborns (I start from day 1), I like flats with thirstie covers or wool/fleece. I've also made a lot of my diapers.

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Seconding and thirding the CD moms who advise trying a few different kinds. Basically, you don't know what's going to work best for you and your LO until you really get down to it, and it might change! I started with a newborn who was far too small and skinny for any of my cloth diapers, but ten months later I had a huge chunky-thighed boy. He did well with gDiapers, where my friend's little boy always peed out the side. I was lucky enough to get involved with a bunch of other moms who were using cloth, and I think we all had different preferences for brands, tip, tricks, etc., even though most of us had boy babies the same age. I also took a class when I pregnant on cloth diapering. I ended up trying all kinds, but ended up mainly in gDiapers (with Green Mountain prefolds, NOT the g inserts) and Flip diapers when he was a little older. I didn't really like AIOs and had just a few pockets (mostly secondhand).  The only thing I would say FOR SURE is not to run out and buy a huge collection of the same type/brand of diaper because of the super cute patterns--you may end up hating them because they don't work for this LO. And don't be afraid to mix & match with covers/pocket diapers and inserts/prefolds if that works better for your LO.
    TTC#1 since May 2011

BFP #1 June 2011 m/c@6wks

BFP #2 December 2011, EDD 8/21/12, born 7/21/12 at 35w4d

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 October 6, 2015. WHAT???

• Options
    @alileecam I'm curious how you do your gdiapers. Do you fold the prefold into an insert-shape and stick it in the gdiaper waterproof gusset thing? or put it on like you normally would a prefold and then put the gdiaper over top?
  • Options
    We did learn we don't like microfiber. It can hold well but can cause compression leaks... think of saturating a sponge and then placing an apple on top. They tend to absorb quickly but because of the surface area from the fibers, they can gunk up and cause repelling and stink pretty fast.
  • Options
    I've had good luck with a thin microfiber insert on top of a thin natural insert. One absorbs quickly and the other holds more liquid.
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We loved cloth with #1! Definitely will for #2. I like hybrid fitted and tots tiny AIO for newborn and bumgeniud and applecheeks for post-newborn.
  • Options
    alileecamalileecam member
    edited November 2015

@alileecam I'm curious how you do your gdiapers. Do you fold the prefold into an insert-shape and stick it in the gdiaper waterproof gusset thing? or put it on like you normally would a prefold and then put the gdiaper over top?

I used the preemie and the newborn prefolds folded into thirds and stuck into the waterproof snap-in gDiaper liner. (Preemie for smalls, newborn for medium and large, since those liners are the same size for both cover sizes). It worked so much better than the actual g inserts for us (I used those as doublers for my pockets). We used the disposable inserts for gDiapers occasionally, but generally just stuck with the magic prefold+waterproof liner+cover combo. And you can always stick one of the thin paper liner things in there too, so poop wouldn't stain the prefolds and was easy to get off without using the sprayer. (Obviously optional... I can't remember what they were called.)
    TTC#1 since May 2011

BFP #1 June 2011 m/c@6wks

BFP #2 December 2011, EDD 8/21/12, born 7/21/12 at 35w4d

BFP #3 October 6, 2015. WHAT???

• Options
    alileecam said:
    I used the preemie and the newborn prefolds folded into thirds and stuck into the waterproof snap-in gDiaper liner. (Preemie for smalls, newborn for medium and large, since those liners are the same size for both cover sizes). It worked so much better than the actual g inserts for us (I used those as doublers for my pockets). We used the disposable inserts for gDiapers occasionally, but generally just stuck with the magic prefold+waterproof liner+cover combo. And you can always stick one of the thin paper liner things in there too, so poop wouldn't stain the prefolds and was easy to get off without using the sprayer. (Obviously optional... I can't remember what they were called.)
    Interesting! I think I have 2 or 3 gdiaper covers lying around somewhere not getting any love. The inserts that come with them just aren't very absorbent, but for some reason it never occured to me to try stuffing a prefold in there. I've got tons of NB prefolds not getting any love at the moment. Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    I've cloth diapered two kids (even overlapping for 6 months which was brutal tbh), and I'll cloth diaper again. I use Bum Genius littles for the newborn stage and first few months. I have a few fitteds and a wrap too. I love all in ones the most but it's nice to have some fitteds for days when you want more air to get to their bottom. After the first few months I use one size diapers that you adjust as they grow. I like bum genius freetimes but I tend to have a few types in my stash. I wash on warm with a little regular tide detergent. I use disposables for nighttime often though. Too much fuss and wetness to deal with while half asleep. Once they wet less overnight a cloth diaper is great.
  • Options
    I love Alva baby. They are cheap, are pockets so I can adjust absorbency, and don't take forever to dry like the aio I used.
  • Options
    I use and love grovia. Simple, clean, easy. Look them up and watch their videos. :)
  • Options
    HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited November 2015
    Hi all! Looking at the cutest little diapers and trying to decide different options based on what we've learned from this thread, when DH asks if there any with hazmat symbols on them. Totally silly, but has anyone seen this? :)

He now also would like to know if there's one with the four horsemen. Lol. He wants to start his own dad line of funny diapers... 
  • Options
    I love all this information so much, I need to start my stash soon!
  • Options
    @HBamama2B No joke, there are people on Etsy who do custom diapers. You could definitely make some of his dreams into reality.
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @HBamama2B yup, there are tons of custom diaper makers out there! also check out Ella Bella Bum; they're one of my favourite diaper brands and they do something called "custom mini groups" where a group of people get together and pre-buy a special diaper design (they get custom-printed fabric from Spoonflower, I believe) and then they make up the diapers. Slightly more reliable quality than smaller Etsy sellers, but some of the tiny Etsy operations are pretty great too, in my experience.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!! Much appreciated.