Baby Showers

is it tacky to register for an iPad?

I am 20 weeks and just starting to register. my mother has always suggested to register for a nice camera to take pictures of the new baby, but my question is this: is it tacky to register for an iPad? obviously it will help with memory keeping and even some photos (not to mention occasional baby entertainment), but I don't want to do it if it's in bad form. thoughts?

Re: is it tacky to register for an iPad?

• I would find that tacky, yes.  Even if I knew the person I'd still probably say this, so it's not because I have no idea who you are in real life, but I would also think that even though the baby down the road may use the iPad for entertainment purposes, I would most def. think the iPad would be for Mom and Dad's personal use for a good 12-18 months before baby begins to even have the slightest clue of what to do with an electronic device.
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly, yes it does come across as impolite and grasping at straws a bit.
  • That's pushing it too far, IMO. If I saw an iPad on a baby registry I would absolutely think it was tacky. 

Even if you want/need a camera or iPad for various reasons (including baby pictures, etc.) that is something you should purchase yourself. Sorry, but it just doesn't make sense to include it on your baby registry without looking like a gift grabber... "I know, I'll just put the iPad on the baby registry so hopefully someone else will buy it for me!" 

Yeah, that's what it looks like. 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • If your mom is pushing the idea of a camera, why don't you tell her about the iPad? When showers are all done and your registry is left to your personal use, maybe add it for the completion coupon. Otherwise, yeah, tad tacky.
  • Extremely tacky. Look on Black Friday for iPad deals I got my iPad mini for $100 from Walmart. I consider that a small price to pay to not come across gift grabby and tacky.
  • Yup.  I'm on the tacky bandwagon on this.  An iPad or a camera are not for the baby/ to help you with the baby.  They just aren't.  I would side-eye the  hell of any MTB who put this on her registry.
  • Tacky tacky tackyyy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yah, please don't do that. If i saw that on a registry i would be like, "um just use your phone's camera like 98% of the other people on the planet or buy your own ipad"
  • It looks though you have your answers. I wouldn't do something like this personally. If you want to buy one I agree with PP and add it to your registry after everyone is done using it. Use the completion discount and hopefully you will get a good deal :)
  • If I saw a registry with a new camera and an iPad on it, I would probably decline the invitation to the shower.

That is tacky as hell.
  • If you're giving out your registry (which is tacky in itself) then yes I'd side eye the crap out of you. If you really want an iPad or camera open up a Walmart or Target registry and just put that item on it. Then use the completion coupon to purchase it yourself. Or wait for black Friday. Or save up money and buy one.
  • I have to disagree. I wouldn't find it tacky. The only way I would find it tacky is if there weren't other reasonably priced items on the registry. A registry with an iPad and 10 other big ticket items?- tacky. Makes it seem like you just want money. A registry with an iPad and 100+ items with a lot of price ranges?- fine by me. I probably won't be buying you the iPad but since I have plenty of options for other things I wouldn't think "tacky." A bit quirky, yes, but not tacky.
  • I put this in the "if you have to ask whether it's tacky, it's tacky" category.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • My coworker said she thinks it's tacky.
  • Tackiness of the highest order

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think it's tacky. Registries should be what you need for the baby. Mostly essentials. Obviously what is essential is debatable, but I'm pretty sure no one would argue that an iPad is not.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• My husband put a video game on there, a really violent one for ps4, as a joke. But one of our closest friends who lives across the country, bought it and sent it with a note saying, "I know who this is for and you'd better not play it during paternity leave." She also included a gift for the baby.

I thought it was hilarious. Our friends got the joke. Those less close to us probably didn't think it was in good taste, or thought it was a mistake, but whatever.

I'm not sure an iPad would have the same result. The price tag is pretty big and its usefulness for baby might seem dubious, so it could be interpreted as greedy, defiantly would not be seen as a joke.

I wouldn't do it.

• I agree with most everyone else that it's tacky because you're really not using it for the baby the majority of the time. If you want to add it after your shower for the completion coupon, do that, but asking other people to buy you a toy is tacky. It's along the same lines as registering for items for your older kids so they don't feel left out.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • It's along the same lines as registering for items for your older kids so they don't feel left out.

People do that?!?!? :astonished:

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ecwk said:
    It's along the same lines as registering for items for your older kids so they don't feel left out.
    People do that?!?!? :astonished:
    Apparently so. I've seen people complaining about it.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I would add it after a shower event so you can use a completion coupon for it later. Or check out cyber Monday deals and buy it then.